> whenever I get the 3 consecutive time outs, is exactly...

mdk
Grasshopper

> whenever I get the 3 consecutive time outs, is exactly when my internet stops working everywhere.

These two events are perfectly correlated.

To compare, if a traffic-light at the end of your dead-end street, where it connects to the next street, goes "red", and that intersection is your only access to drive eventually & indirectly to connect to all other streets in your city, you cannot drive to any destination, until the traffic-light turns "green".  In this case, the "barricade" is right at that traffic-light, but it's possible that such a barricade is slightly further away, e.g., a bridge over a river is blocked, due to a motor-vehicle accident, making it possible for you to drive to only those streets on "your" side of the river, and (temporarily) impossible to drive to any of the streets on the "other" side of the river.

Google's web-site is "across" several bridges -- if just one of those bridges has a deck that lifts to let a very-tall cruise-ship go up the river (if the ship could go under the raised deck in less than 1 second), all traffic over that bridge stops for 1 second.

So whats your point? Whatever it is, its some sort of sc...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

So whats your point?

Whatever it is, its some sort of scheduled event going on around the same time thats resulting in the net literally constantly dropping for hours and hours and hours.  I pay for this garbage, and the responsibility is on them to make it work or find out the issue.  Are you helping solve this problem for them or are you just here to derail the topic and not help figure out whats going on?

I know enough about computers to know that this has nothing to do with my hardware, other peoples hardware, or anything like that.  And when this is happening at such specific times, it boggles my mind Shaw hasn't figured out whats going on.  They have a perfect time-line where they can do tests and figure out what the issue is.

I'm not paying for something that doesn't work.  I'll take Shaw to small claims court if I have to.  This is probably happening to thousands of people right now and only a handful of us have managed to find this thread.  Most people are asleep at the times we are being effected, so  they probably aren't getting as many complaints as they should be. 

0 Kudos

> Are you helping solve this problem Yes.  Because "PING"...

mdk
Grasshopper

> Are you helping solve this problem

Yes.  Because "PING" is such an "all-or-nothing" tool, I recommend that you use the "TRACERT" command with the "-D" option, to see which "bridge" (along the Information Superhighway to Google's web-site) is becoming a temporary "barricade".

> are you just here to derail the topic

No. I have nothing against railroads, except when they are dangerously transporting Alberta oil to BC's seaports -- Trudeau's pipeline will be much safer than shipping via rail.

> not help figure out whats [sic] going on?

Short answer: when you have a problem, use "TRACERT", and tell us which "bridge" is the problem -- it could be a bridge owned/operated by Shaw, or it could be a bridge somewhere outside of the Shaw network:

$ tracert www.google.com

[hops 1-4 snipped out of this message]

5 rc1wt-be40.wa.shawcable.net  -- final "bridge" on Shaw's network

6. 72.14.221.102 ----  first "bridge" outside of Shaw's network

7. 108.170.245.97 -- second "bridge" outside of Shaw's network

8. 108.170.233.157  -- third "bridge" outside of Shaw's network

9. sea15s11-in-f164.1e100.net --- one "googol" (which is not a typo!) -- somewhere in "SEAttle".

Exactly what I did.  I used tracert to find which hop was...

firegryph
Grasshopper

Exactly what I did.  I used tracert to find which hop was the first to be disconnected during the periods of disconnection.  The IP of said hop was 96.54.224.1    Which happened to be the second hop in the route.  The first hop was my own router on the internal network of my home, of course. 

The ping commands, running constantly, told me precisely WHEN the issue was actually occuring.  I cant very well use a game to give me an accurate telling. 'Oh, Im starting to lag, better run the tracert!' would not work for a few reasons.   So I was running pings to google to give me the info it could, such as at what times it was disconnecting, and for how long.  It was only when a ping test started to fail that I would try tracert, to see how far that would get.  If I use tracert at a time when the connection is up and stable, there are no issues at all, so it tells me basically nothing.

Perhaps if we had more folks that connected through 96.54.224.1 we could tell more definitively that THAT was a point of issue.    Or, perhaps it is the first point of entering Shaws network on any route is the issue.   But I sure as heck cant determine those sorts of things all by myself.

0 Kudos

So, I have to run a normal tracert to get which IP addres...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

So, I have to run a normal tracert to get which IP address is timing out right.

OK, its hard to catch but so far it looks like..

10  *     *    73 ms 209.85.241.247

another time 10 * * 68 ms 209.85.241.247

another time 2   *    *    * request timed out

another time 5  * *  * request timed out  followed by 6 *  30 ms 40 ms 72.14.196.237

also just timed out at 12   *   *   67 ms 74.125.243.177

It looks like depending how quickly I catch it, its timing out pretty much everywhere, I mean its timed out at 2, 5, 6, 10 and 12 so far.  Oh and now at 7 29 ms 30 ms  *   108.170.250.227  and now also 13   *    *   *

Like when I run a tracert most of them will be ok then it seems like randomly 1 or more of these routes time time out.  Its timed out at every route, but its not always the same route?  Seems like its all of them

Soooooo?  I dont think theres a specific location it seems like?

0 Kudos

And yes, this is still occurring.  At the moment.  Starte...

firegryph
Grasshopper

And yes, this is still occurring.  At the moment.  Started at around 5:20 am pacific, still going on, and going strong.

0 Kudos

Happening right now, again -- we deserve an update we are...

dietpepsirocks
Grasshopper

Happening right now, again -- we deserve an update we are paying customers, enough is enough.  Either tell us you are aware of the problem and its gonna be fixed or release us from our contracts and compensate us.

0 Kudos

I live in Richmond, BC & been having connection issues wi...

Supermochi
Grasshopper

I live in Richmond, BC & been having connection issues with Shaw since July with this account.

I always notice my internet cutting out after 1AM when I get back from work & just want to relax by streaming shows while I get ready for bed.

I’ve experienced this issue at my apartment of 5 years on & off when the Shaw account was under my dad’s name. I moved recently from an apartment to a townhome for 5 days now, & I see that there was some overnight maintenance work being done in my area since Dec 10th.

My internet connection hasn’t returned this morning at 11AM & I’m using data on my phone as I type this.

I really hope that this issue gets resolved soon cause I plan to live stream game without any interruptions... I’m honestly considering another provider, because Shaw will increase their rates next year anyway.

0 Kudos

I was told by a Shaw tech that the modem gets updated eve...

Bulfr0g
Grasshopper

I was told by a Shaw tech that the modem gets updated every night. I do not know if you can change the update time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

> Perhaps if we had more folks that connected through 96....

mdk
Grasshopper

> Perhaps if we had more folks that connected through 96.54.224.1 we could tell more definitively that THAT was a point of issue. 

That IP-address is the first "hop" after my HITRON modem. At this moment, I am not seeing any dropped packets.

Remember that some routers classify PING requests as "low-priority" traffic, because they are "overhead", not "user-data" TCP/IP packets.  Also, some routers are configured to NOT respond at all to PING.

TALK TO US
Need more help?