Internet Cutting In and Out Every Night

baelife
Grasshopper

Hey there! This has been driving me absolutely NUTS, as my wife and I are both night owl gamers, and this issue honestly makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done on the internet.

So here's there issue. Just about every night, like clockwork, around 1AM ish, the internet randomly starts cutting in and out for no apparent reason. Everything is absolutely flawless throughout the entire day, and then suddenly at around that time every night, constant dropping.No increase in usage or devices connected. Just sudden disconnecting. I have no idea what this could be. I can't imagine its anything on my end as far as cables, devices, usage, etc, or else we would be seeing this during the day as well. I contacted support about this and they got me to factory reset the modem and check the line for splitters and things like that, which there are none, and the reset was done, and still the issue continues. I asked if there was possibly something Shaw does at night that would compromise their internet connection at all, and I was told there was not.

I'm honestly at a loss for what this could be or how to fix it, but it genuinely makes the internet service unusable for me. I would LOVE any insight or solution to this problem of mine! Thank you!

P.S.

I am currently on Shaw BlueCurve Internet 300 and the disconnections occur on both wired and wireless devices (Hard-wired PCs and Wireless Phones/Tablet)

Labels (1)
41 Replies

Re: Internet Cutting In and Out Every Night

Hey baelife,

There are times that we may be running overnight maintenance. Generally, between 12:00 AM MT to 6:00 AM MT is when they happen. You can find more details on Shaw.ca/updates. I am very sorry for any frustrations this may have caused. 

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

baelife
Grasshopper

You guys run overnight maintenance every night?

Not applicable

Can outsiders be involved in this problem?

0 Kudos

baelife we do not so it may be another issue causing this. Feel free to slide into our DMs on Facebook or Twitter so we can investigate further.

0 Kudos

baelife
Grasshopper

Yes plz!

0 Kudos

Did this ever get fixed?  because I'm home from surgery a...

crglws
Grasshopper

Did this ever get fixed?  because I'm home from surgery and all i want to do is game, but i can't.

0 Kudos

We've been having this exact same problem... EVERY night...

CubbyCam
Grasshopper

We've been having this exact same problem... EVERY night at the same time...   It's obviously not an isolated issue.  Driving my late night gamer wife crazy! 😉 

0 Kudos

Yep same thing over here, it got absolutely terrible this...

x0swifty0x
Grasshopper

Yep same thing over here, it got absolutely terrible this year. Except mine happens 3 times a day separate time frames where the speeds grind to about 600kb/s for a couple of minutes and then all of a sudden miraculously it jumps back up to the speed im paying for. It got so bad my modem disconnected completely. 

Replaced modem, all new wiring, no splitters. Contacted Shaw about 20-30 times 0 resolution. Excuses from it's your fault for using too much internet to everything is okay on our end we don't know. Had tech visits about 5+ times telling me the levels are all good there couldn't be anything wrong at all. Funny how the tech comes out when the internet isn't bouncing all over the place but when it's "after hours" from business hours and support hours the internet is having a rollercoaster ride of it's life. Shaw is just incapable of managing their infastructure it's quite apparent they've no idea what they're doing.

Did you ever get a solution for this issue? I'm thinking...

Andisten
Grasshopper

Did you ever get a solution for this issue? I'm thinking of switching providers because despite my attempts to get a resolution, I've not gotten any results. I've come to the exact same diagnosis as everyone on this thread, dropping at 12am-6am and perfectly fine during the day. I've switched from a wired connection to a wireless, moved the router, used a different coax cable, different everything and no dice. I've observed my task manager internet resource usage and noticed this (see attached photo). As you can see it's consistent with drops happening as frequently as a minute in between, though always happens at intervals of at most 15 minutes apart. I have used my roommate's Telus wifi during this time and it does not happen with their wifi, so it is definitely an issue with Shaw.internet.PNG

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
Need more help?