Internet issues

bobbaynwe
Grasshopper

Today is the first of many days where we have some sort of internet issues.  I go through the steps; unplug, wait 30 seconds, replug, and no joy.  I check for outages in the area and nothing.  Go to chat with Shaw and wouldn’t you know it, there’s a problem.... at 5 am? And I see a lot of messages here of internet slowness.  I should have 300mbs and I am just happy when it hits 100mbs....  am I being too harsh?  I think we all pay good money for something more consistent in operation and definitely more consistent in speed.  

so hopefully Shaw sees this and answers my issues, like do I get a refund for service disruption?  And why not?  Why should I pay for a faster internet and get a slower one....  and it’s very inconsistent.  I spend hours on the phone going through different checks for tv and internet only for problems to resume again the very next week.

Labels (2)
6 Replies

--  I should have 300mbs and I am just happy when it hits...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bobbaynwe --  I should have 300mbs and I am just happy when it hits 100mbs

If your computer is connected via an Ethernet cable directly to your cable-modem, and the Shaw Speed Test is reporting 100 Mbits/second, then take a close look at the printing along the Ethernet cable. If you see "CAT 5", that cable is certified up to 100 Mbps, and you should replace it by a "CAT 5e" cable, that is certified up to 1000 Mbps, or by a "CAT 6" cable, that is certified to multi-gigabit speed, and rerun the Speed Test.

Similarly, if your computer is connected to a "hub" or a "router", and those Ethernet ports are 100 Mbps, not "Gigabit", then 100 Mbps is the maximum that you will experience.

Experiencing similar issues since Tuesday night after a p...

skurasniper
Grasshopper

Experiencing similar issues since Tuesday night after a power outage in my city. I've power cycled multiple times, reset the modem, etc. Two days after the power outage and I'm still getting 0.2 Mbps upload speeds. It's unusable.

Thank you....  but no one tells you this when they sell i...

bobbaynwe
Grasshopper

Thank you....  but no one tells you this when they sell it to you or during installation.  They should be saying something.

0 Kudos

-- something is wrong. Because this is just a peer-to-pee...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@skurasniper -- something is wrong.

Because this is just a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a direct path to Shaw, I recommend that you contact Shaw - 1-888-472-2222 - and make them earn the fees that they monthly collect from you, by getting them to do trouble-shooting.

Note that a Shaw Agent can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to see if it has any issues (caused by the power outage?).

Can you borrow a relative/friend's computer, and temporarily connect it to your cable-modem, and see if their computer shows the same issue?

If you have a notebook computer, can you take it to the nearest "free-WiFi" location (Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Shaw Go WiFi) to see if it gets reasonable speeds while NOT connected to your cable-modem?

0 Kudos

Oh we have called them and spent hours on the phone, even...

bobbaynwe
Grasshopper

Oh we have called them and spent hours on the phone, even our cable is wonky a lot.  They troubleshoot using us to perform things.  They have been to the house twice as well.  For the most part if using the 5G modem, and we are located in direct eye sight of the modem we get over 175mbs.  I just feel the cabling in the house could be an issue on top of the signal coming into the house. Everything is old and the new technology won’t work correctly with the old stuff. 

0 Kudos

-- Oh we have called them and spent hours on the phone, e...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bobbaynwe -- Oh we have called them and spent hours on the phone, even our cable is wonky a lot.  

That is not normal.

> They troubleshoot using us to perform things.  They have been to the house twice as well.  

So, it seems like Shaw is trying. Did things improve after the site-visits?

> For the most part if using the 5G modem, and we are located in direct eyesight of the modem we get over 175mbs.  

The WiFi network adapter on your computer may either be "Wireless G" (up to 56 Mbit/second) or "Wireless N" (up to 150 Mbps) or "Wireless AC" (over 1000 Mbps). Which adapter do you have?  To what speed of Internet are you subscribed (150? 300? 500? 750? 1000? 1500?)

> I just feel the cabling in the house could be an issue on top of the signal coming into the house.

What speed do you get when your computer is connected to the cable-modem by an Ethernet cable labelled as "CAT 5e" (certified up to 1000 Mbps). Note that a "CAT 5" cable is certified only up to 100 Mbps.

> Everything is old and the new technology won’t work correctly with the old stuff. 

I disagree. Cable can deliver literally hundreds of TV channels, with audio & video. It is "plenty fast".

Of course, the outdoor coaxial-cable between your residence and the telephone-pole has years of exposure to wind/rain/snow/summer-heat, and nibbling-on by squirrels, but a Shaw technician should be able to check this possibility.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help