Internet keeps disconnecting and lower internet bandwidth

jacroby
Grasshopper

I've been having a problem for about a few years or so. The problem is how my internet repeatedly cuts out. It only happened before for a certain period of time so maybe a few days a week, which didn't really bother me as much for a while. But recently, the problem escalated quite a lot. My internet previously would disconnect for about a second or so before coming back online, although now it repeatedly does this for a longer period of time. I can't recall exactly how long it lasted, usually only from about 15 minutes to a few hours or until I'm forced to restart my modem, which would usually fix it but if not, it would come back sooner or later.

But recently my internet has been cutting out for much longer. A little while ago I started going into my router settings and measured how long it would cut out for, which only said disconnected for about a second before connecting again. Although like I said, this repeated itself almost every 5 seconds with the cycle lasting about 15 minutes to a few hours. Also for the lower bandwidth, it doesn't annoy me as much as this although it's still good to point out. I have an internet 75 plan and I'm only getting about a peak of 10.5 Mbps according to Steam.

I've already tried fixing this multiple times, but it doesn't really seem fixable. A bit of things to note and things I've tried are: I use a CISCO DPC3825 as my internet modem. It's currently in bridged mode since I like port-forwarding with a separate router. That router is the ASUS RT-AC68U, being wired to the modem with a 15FT CAT 5e Ethernet cable. Whenever I download something large like a game, Steam says I'm getting about 10.5 Mbps as stated earlier, but my router's traffic manager says I'm using 80 Mbps worth of bandwidth. Something else to note would be that as I'm typing this, I'm watching my router's network state as every few minutes, the network status changes to either "Your ISP's DDNS servers aren't functioning properly.", "Disconnected", or "The network cable in unplugged". All lights on the modem remain the same state, only with the modem's router ethernet port light flashing sort of rapidly.

3 Replies

> I have an internet 75 plan and I'm only getting about a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I have an internet 75 plan and I'm only getting about a peak of 10.5 Mbps according to Steam.

What values do you get via the Shaw SpeedTest ?

Contact Shaw, and get them:

1. to confirm that your modem is provisioned for the "Internet 75" legacy speed,
  2. to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check its internal statistics, e.g., "signal strength", and "AC power brown-out".

Have you tried a different coaxial-cable between the router and the wall-port?

Have you tried a different CAT-5e (or CAT-6) Ethernet cable between your ASUS router and your computer?

Have you tried a different CAT-5e (or CAT-6) Ethernet cable between your router and the Shaw router?

Have you temporarily tried connecting your computer, instead of your ASUS router, directly to the "bridged" Shaw router? (You will need to power-off/power-on the Shaw device, to restart it.)  Does the Shaw SpeedTest show faster speeds? Does the application on your computer show different statistics?

I've just done the Shaw SpeedTest with my router and my m...

jacroby
Grasshopper

I've just done the Shaw SpeedTest with my router and my modem separately. My internet speeds with my router had a download speed of 83 Mbps and an upload speed of 8 Mbps. The direct connection with the modem did little difference; 85 Mbps download and 8 Mbps upload. My download speeds when connected to the modem directly did no difference at all.

Also, just to make it more clear what I did with my router is: My original modem was a router-modem all on one type of thing, except it was just a little low-end by not supporting 5G. So what I did was put it in bridged mode, which disables the router and lets my ASUS router take control of connections.

Also, I switched out the connecting CAT-5e cable with another CAT-5e cable for Modem-Router and it seemed to fix the temporarily cutting out issue, although I'm not sure it'll come back, the old cable was a little worn from the looks of it.

0 Kudos

> My internet speeds with my router had a download speed...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> My internet speeds with my router had a download speed of 83 Mbps and an upload speed of 8 Mbps.

How fast is the processor on your computer? Any dual-core processor slower than 2 Ghz gets "maxed-out" when running the Shaw SpeedTest, and thus gives lower speeds than what you are paying for.

TALK TO US
We're here to help