Internet Speed sucks AGAIN!!!

DanGrech
Grasshopper

I am so tired of paying out the nose for internet. Lets be honest the only thing shaw is consistent at is raising prices and internet connections that are as slow and reliable as dial up internet from the 80's when can we expect a better product and better service from such a greedy money hungry company

Labels (1)
23 Replies

are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi or are direct ethe...

shaw-tony

@DanGrech are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi or are direct ethernet connections to a PC affected as well? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

I agree Dan!  This situation is getting ridiculous.   I a...

dspence
Grasshopper

I agree Dan!  This situation is getting ridiculous.   I am paying for 300Mbps and achieving maybe 75-100 on average.  I would have a more current speed but the Shaw Speed Test page cannot connect to its own server!!!  No matter how often you reboot your router/modem, there is no change in speed/connectivity. 

I am tempted to start paying only 1/3 of my invoice since they are only providing 1/3 of the service!  Would they expect to only get 1/3 of their new car?  Or which 1/3 of that new movie do you want to watch?  I am about once service call away from moving over to TELUS!!!!!

I agree, i am paying for 1gb/s speed and i havn't broken...

1-GBS-is-a-lie
Grasshopper

I agree, i am paying for 1gb/s speed and i havn't broken 400 yet on any speed test or anything. And the average speed from most gaming companies has been 5-15mb/s. I know that's on their end as well, but still. When i had sasktel internet 300mb/s I always had 300 mb/s on speed tests and over 50mbs on most games. 

-- I have not broken 400 yet ... Launch the Windows "Task...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@1-GBS-is-a-lie -- I have not broken 400 yet ...

Launch the Windows "Task Manager" app (CTRL-ALT-DELETE, and then select the Task Manager).

Switch to its "Performance" tab.

Click on the "Ethernet" icon.

Minimize this window.

Launch the Shaw Speed Test, and immediately "restore" the Task Manager window, to display the "instantaneous" download speed, in addition to the "averaged" speed as displayed by the Shaw Speed Test. What is the "peak" speed from the Task Manager window?

Note that the Shaw Speed Test requires a computer with a fast CPU.

I have the "Internet 300" (grandfathered) plan

On one desktop with a dual-core 2.5 Ghz CPU, and a 50-foot CAT-6 Ethernet cable, Windows Task Manager shows the CPU at about 90% busy, and instantaneous speeds varying between 150 and 210 Mbps. It seems like the CPU-speed is limiting the Speed Test.

On a different desktop with a quad-core 3.2 Ghz CPU, and a 6-foot CAT-5E Ethernet cable, the CPU-busy is much less than 40%, and the instantaneous speeds exceed 300 Mbps.

I wonder if having the "Giga" service would require an even-faster computer, to run the Shaw Speed Test at its maximum speed.

Try disconnecting both ends of the coaxial-cable between your wall-outlet and your cable-modem, and then reconnecting it, to ensure a good connection. Also, try a different cable.

If you have a different wall-outlet that it active (such as a feed to your Shaw TV box), connect your cable-modem to that wall-outlet, and rerun the Speed Test.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone), and get them to trouble-shoot, including remotely logging-on to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching the cable-modem, and for them to view other measurements.

Slow internet? Try these things...

rickatk
Master

Slow internet? Try these things: 

1. reboot your router and computer then check speed test

2. Contact Shaw ask them to shell your signal

3. As for your gear to be reprovisioned.

4. As for tier two reprovisioning support 

5. Ask for a new cable modem/router.

before anyone complains about slow speed first test via h...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

before anyone complains about slow speed first test via hard wire connection. why? repeat after me WIFI IS NOT INTERNET.

If you still get your slow speeds then something to look at. With these speeds we are getting now @1gbps not many single services can max that out.

I am hard wired in and have been trying to teach online c...

SP62
Grasshopper

I am hard wired in and have been trying to teach online classes this week.  My speeds on shaw have been from 17-35 on download and upload  at 0.2

I'm serious, my students can't hear anything I say and I'm constantly cutting out.  I have another person in the house that is attending online classes as a student and she's doing fine.   We both have to be doing this at the same time....what am I supposed to do?

0 Kudos

what are you testing with. what website/app?

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

what are you testing with. what website/app?

0 Kudos

I agree. The best I can get on a good day, no wind, no el...

rickatk
Master

@dragonstone634 wrote:

before anyone complains about slow speed first test via hard wire connection. why? repeat after me WIFI IS NOT INTERNET.

If you still get your slow speeds then something to look at. With these speeds we are getting now @1gbps not many single services can max that out.

I agree. The best I can get on a good day, no wind, no electrical storms and clear sky’s after rebooting my fast SSD iMac is around 850Mbps over wifi. But my overall system is very stable, no hiccups on the wireless TV, fast browsing and downloading. Uploading is rock solid 26 Mbps over wifi as promised.

TALK TO US
We're here to help