Jump to solution

Internet speed.

Joshuawood
Grasshopper

Hello people! 

I recently did an internet speed test.  Results were  DL 21.4 and UL 1.3.   I'm not quite sure how to interpret these results.  What is the benchmark?     I did a bit of reading and I understand there are a number of factors that contribute to low speed (old computer, old modem, physical proximity etc).  I do understand I do have an old modem and computer but I noted what seems to be a dramatic decrease lately.   I have cleared my cache etc on my computer and I have lots of storage space on it (an old IMac.)    I'm working from home a bit and my upload speed is painfully slow, hours and hours to upload audio/video files...eg,  4 hours fro about 20 minutes worth. 

How do I find out what speed I am paying for?  I believe I have a very average/standard package.

Is overall speed via shaw being impacted by higher usage due to more people using the service during self-isolation?

My wife will be working from home and will have to be using the service as well so I'm anticipating even more problems. I'm assuming two or more computers in the home using the service will slow things down even more? 

Lastly, I suppose I would prefer not to have a sales person just try to upsell me a new package.  I do realize higher levels of service/speed exist, I see the ads constantly.

Thank you in advance, 

Joshua (Calgary) 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> I recently did an internet speed test.  Results were  D...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I recently did an internet speed test.  Results were  DL 21.4 and UL 1.3.  

That seems typical for a "grandfathered" Internet package, e.g., "Internet 20" (that is download speed, in Mbps) with 1.0 Mbps speed for uploads, even though you are getting slightly more than what you are paying for.

> How do I find out what speed I am paying for?  I believe I have a very average/standard package.

Either look at your monthly Shaw bill, or login to My Shaw, to view your plan's features.

> Is overall speed via Shaw being impacted by higher usage due to more people using the service during self-isolation?

Shaw's network can easily handle 600 Mbps for multiple simultaneous users. But, if "everybody" tries to connect to the same web-site (YouTube?), then that web-site may not be able to "send" data to all those computers at the same time -- its "outgoing" connection might be "saturated".

> I'm assuming two or more computers in the home using the service will slow things down even more? 

It depends. How much time does each person just look at the screen (reading an article on a "news" web-site), and how much time are they actively and simultaneously downloading?

> Lastly, I suppose I would prefer not to have a salesperson just try to upsell me a new package.  

Last week, I helped a friend upgrade from a "grandfathered" plan (Shaw Phone and Shaw Internet, but no TV) to a "two year Value Plan". The result is "guaranteed no price increase for two years" and Internet speed that went from 15 Mbps to 300 Mbps. Total monthly cost is $1.00 *less* per month. Telephone Shaw, and see what they can do for your account.

> I do realize higher levels of service/speed exist.

The top-most Shaw "residential" service is 600 Mbps for download, and 20 Mbps for upload.

The top-most Shaw "business" service is 1000 Mbps for download, and 125 Mbps for upload.

> my upload speed is painfully slow, hours and hours to upload audio/video files: 4 hours for about 20 minutes worth. 

Yes, if your "upload" speed is about 1.2 Mbps, that is mathematically equivalent to 150 KiloBytes per second. So, if your file is 15 Mbytes, it will take 100 seconds to send it. If your file is 150 Mbytes, then it will take 1000 seconds to send it.  if you upgrade to 600/20, that 1000 seconds will become 50 seconds.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jump to solution

1. Contact Shaw to confirm your Internet specs. 2. Intern...

rickatk
Master

@Joshuawood wrote:

Hello people! 

I recently did an internet speed test.  Results were  DL 21.4 and UL 1.3.   I'm not quite sure how to interpret these results.  What is the benchmark?     I did a bit of reading and I understand there are a number of factors that contribute to low speed (old computer, old modem, physical proximity etc).  I do understand I do have an old modem and computer but I noted what seems to be a dramatic decrease lately.   I have cleared my cache etc on my computer and I have lots of storage space on it (an old IMac.)    I'm working from home a bit and my upload speed is painfully slow, hours and hours to upload audio/video files...eg,  4 hours fro about 20 minutes worth. 

How do I find out what speed I am paying for?  I believe I have a very average/standard package.

Is overall speed via shaw being impacted by higher usage due to more people using the service during self-isolation?

My wife will be working from home and will have to be using the service as well so I'm anticipating even more problems. I'm assuming two or more computers in the home using the service will slow things down even more? 

Lastly, I suppose I would prefer not to have a sales person just try to upsell me a new package.  I do realize higher levels of service/speed exist, I see the ads constantly.

Thank you in advance, 

Joshua (Calgary) 

1. Contact Shaw to confirm your Internet specs.

2. Internet performance is impacted by, among other things, state and condition of your home network, age of your equipment internet plan.

You can expect a range of upload speeds up to 600Mbps, higher if you have a business account.

Uploads speeds are a different issue. Shaw equipment that employs  DOCIS 3.1 protocol. Unfortunately upload speed caps out at 20Mbps.

There are business solutions that may have better performance.

You are best to get in touch with Shaw directly to discuss your requirements.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I recently did an internet speed test.  Results were  D...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I recently did an internet speed test.  Results were  DL 21.4 and UL 1.3.  

That seems typical for a "grandfathered" Internet package, e.g., "Internet 20" (that is download speed, in Mbps) with 1.0 Mbps speed for uploads, even though you are getting slightly more than what you are paying for.

> How do I find out what speed I am paying for?  I believe I have a very average/standard package.

Either look at your monthly Shaw bill, or login to My Shaw, to view your plan's features.

> Is overall speed via Shaw being impacted by higher usage due to more people using the service during self-isolation?

Shaw's network can easily handle 600 Mbps for multiple simultaneous users. But, if "everybody" tries to connect to the same web-site (YouTube?), then that web-site may not be able to "send" data to all those computers at the same time -- its "outgoing" connection might be "saturated".

> I'm assuming two or more computers in the home using the service will slow things down even more? 

It depends. How much time does each person just look at the screen (reading an article on a "news" web-site), and how much time are they actively and simultaneously downloading?

> Lastly, I suppose I would prefer not to have a salesperson just try to upsell me a new package.  

Last week, I helped a friend upgrade from a "grandfathered" plan (Shaw Phone and Shaw Internet, but no TV) to a "two year Value Plan". The result is "guaranteed no price increase for two years" and Internet speed that went from 15 Mbps to 300 Mbps. Total monthly cost is $1.00 *less* per month. Telephone Shaw, and see what they can do for your account.

> I do realize higher levels of service/speed exist.

The top-most Shaw "residential" service is 600 Mbps for download, and 20 Mbps for upload.

The top-most Shaw "business" service is 1000 Mbps for download, and 125 Mbps for upload.

> my upload speed is painfully slow, hours and hours to upload audio/video files: 4 hours for about 20 minutes worth. 

Yes, if your "upload" speed is about 1.2 Mbps, that is mathematically equivalent to 150 KiloBytes per second. So, if your file is 15 Mbytes, it will take 100 seconds to send it. If your file is 150 Mbytes, then it will take 1000 seconds to send it.  if you upgrade to 600/20, that 1000 seconds will become 50 seconds.

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your detailed answers.   They are...

Joshuawood
Grasshopper

Thank you very much for your detailed answers.   They are very helpful.    I think I just have to face the fact I need to replace my old gear!  

Jump to solution

Thank you every much for your advice!

Joshuawood
Grasshopper

Thank you every much for your advice! 

Jump to solution

> I think I just have to face the fact I need to replace...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I think I just have to face the fact I need to replace my old gear!  

Yes, if you have a "legacy" cable-modem, that maxes-out at 25 Mbps, Shaw will supply you with a replacement, namely a Hitron, at a "zero" monthly rental fee.  The Hitron will handle "Shaw 600" speeds.

However, your older Apple computer may possibly have a "10/100" Ethernet adapter, not a "10/100/1000" adapter. This will limit your computer to connect only at 100 Mbps.

Note that the Ethernet cable between the Shaw device and your computer should be upgraded to one that is labelled as "CAT-5e", because a "CAT-5" cable is certified only up to 100 Mbps. Shaw may provide you with such a cable, with the Hitron.

TALK TO US
We're here to help