Internet upgrade from 600 to Gig

Zibran
Grasshopper

Hello All & Shaw Team,

is it possible to have a Free upgrade to Gig Internet package for those who's having 600 MBPS on a 2 years agreement? it might be a good service offer for the existing customer, who's always stay with Shaw for a long time. May we expect a Free upgrade please ? 🙂 

Thanks.

Zibran 

Labels (1)
16 Replies

I thought I was getting a small Internet increase charge...

rickatk
Master

@Zibran wrote:

Hello All & Shaw Team,

is it possible to have a Free upgrade to Gig Internet package for those who's having 600 MBPS on a 2 years agreement? it might be a good service offer for the existing customer, who's always stay with Shaw for a long time. May we expect a Free upgrade please ? 🙂 

Thanks.

Zibran 

I thought I was getting a small Internet increase charge when I upgraded to Fibre+Gig. That is certainly what my confirmation letter showed. A slight increase of a few dollars and an adjusted duration on just the internet. Then I got my bill. It showed an increase of over $20.00 per month. I spent time with the Shaw agent on the phone(this issue deserved a phone call) and was advised that indeed my phone promotion had been dropped with the change to the internet speed. The phone promotion was no longer available. I was offered a $100.00 credit for the confusion. Clearly $100.00 would Not cover the price increase over twelve months. Fortunately I had my service change document and the promised rates etc which are indisputable.

The agent and her manager weren’t in a position to fix the problem referring the matter back to the original agent and managment team that made the changes. I am confident this will get fixed. So a word of caution... if you are upgrading anything make sure you understand the implications on your plan as a whole.

Hi there, I agree that there should be an upgrade especia...

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, I agree that there should be an upgrade especially going from 600 to 750, at no additional charge. The upload speeds on this package are identical, its just a matter of them bumping up the download to 750. Especially since the pricing seems identical. My bill shows $115 for internet 600, so as a customer goodwill, since the 600 package is not offered anymore, I am hoping that they will bump up the 600 to 750, at no additional cost.

0 Kudos

I agree, gig wasn't available at the time, we should be a...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

I agree, gig wasn't available at the time, we should be allowed to upgrade without penalty. Now do we sign a new contract? pay extra for the remainder of the contract?

0 Kudos

-- we should be allowed to upgrade without penalty. At a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dragonstone634 -- we should be allowed to upgrade without penalty.

At a restaurant, I would like to order the 6-ounce steak, and then ask the server for a free upgrade to a larger steak. But, since the restaurant is a "for-profit" enterprise, I doubt that they would do it.  Same for Shaw, based on the contract that you signed, and on the terms that they promised to deliver during the contract.

> Now do we sign a new contract? pay extra for the remainder of the contract?

My church's (older-model Cisco brand) Shaw cable-modem/router was giving intermittent WiFi problems. So, Shaw Business provided the "business" version of their Hitron cable-modem/router, within the church's 5-year contract.

I recommend that you telephone Shaw to get authoritative answers to your questions, and authoritative pricing-details, and terms. Telephoning would be best, to authenticate yourself as the person who is authorized to make any changes to your account.

-- what "better" service do you think that you will get,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Zibran -- what "better" service do you think that you will get, if you upgrade from 600 to Gigabit?

Upload speed may be slightly faster. Do you do so much uploading that this upgrade (less than 20% faster) will be noticeable?

On the Internet, there seem to be very few web-servers that can "push" a steady-stream at Gigabit (or 600 Mbps or 750 Mbps) into your home computers.  So, for most people, "Internet 300" is fast-enough.

Older computers have 10/100 Ethernet adapters, not adapters with 10/100/1000 support.  So, those computers are limited to 100 Mbps.

Older WiFi network adapters use the "N" protocol, which is slower than 600 Mbps.  So, upgrading to 750 or Gigabit makes no difference. You would have to upgrade to an adapter that uses the "AC" protocol, to get higher speeds into your computer.

Unless you have SSD (Solid State Disk Drive), your computer probably cannot store an incoming Gigabit stream, because "spinning" disk-drives are not fast-enough.

Note that if you have 6 computers on your home network, each simultaneously receiving at 100 Mbps, your 600 Mbps connection will be fast-enough to not be a "bottle-neck" -- you don't need any faster speed, especially if you have less than 6 active computers, and if not all those computers are receiving simultaneously.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  here's the current...

Zibran
Grasshopper

@mdk 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

here's the current scenario at my premises, I have three 4K/OLED Tvs with 8 SSD enabled Laptops with more than 25 nodes that are connected with the network. My house having a basement and floor above the main floor. The reason I was expecting an upgrade to push the threshold over the extended pods I have on 2nd floor and basement. If Shaw happily upgraded their customer to Gig internet, then I would go for some good Wifi Extender along with some internal wiring to have more than 200 MBPS over the basement and 2nd floor, currently, I don't have much speed (max 70mbps) through the pods that Shaw charging me $10 per month. So my aim was to have some solid wifi extender which must be connected with Gigabit internal wiring and can help me to have 200 MBPS on 2nd floor and basement. Currently the speed is OK at Mainfloor, but the basement and 2nd floor sometimes struggling to have voice /video call along with streaming services (sometimes). As I m self-employed (Telecom & network) and working in this Tech industry since 2003. As per your mentioned points, Yes I have all gigabit network adapter enabled nodes plus all the wifi adapter are AC enabled. my main concentration was to have the bandwidth flow over the basement and 2nd floor for stable streaming services along with Video Calls. 

My questions and your answer will help others for sure to understand the flow of bandwidth in between different kinds of nodes. 

Regards.

0 Kudos

was the upgraded steak an option at the time of the orde...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

was the upgraded streak an option at the time of the order? if yes then the customer should have ordered the larger one.

The gig speed was not an option at the time of sign up. I am not saying a free upgrade, All I am asking is the ability to upgrade to the gig service. I am on my 2nd year of the contract, why can't I pay a little more a month to get the 1 gig service? 

0 Kudos

-- here's the current scenario ... Obviously, you are not...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Zibran -- here's the current scenario ...

Obviously, you are not a "typical" Shaw customer.  🙂

> the basement and 2nd floor sometimes struggling to have voice / video call 

Would it be of any benefit to you to switch to Gigabit via Shaw Business? That would "double" your upload speeds, which should benefit the quality of your "outgoing" voice/video traffic.

> 8 SSD-enabled Laptops 

Have you rented-out some rooms to octopuses (octopi ?) -- enough arms to use that many keyboards. 🙂

:)  as said I'm a self-employed, thereby I m also a cost-...

Zibran
Grasshopper

@mdk 

🙂 

as said I'm a self-employed, thereby I m also a cost-conscious customer, cant afford anything higher for the moment, and due to Covid-19 its impossible for me to spend anything extra penny. 

we have 4 individuals at home and I do need 3 different laptops by myself due to work structure. I know it sounds weird but can't help myself. 

anyway, I m trying to forget the dream of  free upgrade to GIG 🙂 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help