-- was the upgraded streak an option at the time of the o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dragonstone634  -- was the upgraded streak an option at the time of the order? if yes, then the customer should have ordered the larger one.

If the upgrade to the larger "streak" did not cost any more, then the initial order should have been placed for the larger one. But, to order the smaller one, and then to ask for a FREE upgrade, is not something that the restaurant would offer.

To repeat, it is possible to "upgrade" a two-year Value Plan, e.g., with faster Internet, without voiding the contract.  Shaw will be glad to accept more money from the customer, in return for the upgraded service.

After an upgrade, It's even possible to later "downgrade" to the levels that you chose when you signed the contract, but not to downgrade BELOW those initial levels.

Historically, I started with "Internet 5" -- the only speed that was available, and got FREE upgrades to "Internet 7.5", and later to "Internet 10 with SpeedBoost".  I did not need to know about nor ask for those upgrades -- Shaw just did it.

SpeedBoost was a feature that offered downloads up to 30 Mbps for the first few megabytes of each download, and then a reversion to the contracted speed for the rest of that download.

0 Kudos

I found this thread by asking the same question into the...

Tman1
Grasshopper

I found this thread by asking the same question into the google machine. I remember when i was 300 speed with Shaw and they one day bumped me to 600 (for free). I feel they may do the same one day for all the people in that middle tier of speed (600). Will keep my fingers crossed for that. I would not expect the gig speed to be the upgrade. I am sure i could get it added to my current bill for the increase of monthly payment difference without changing my 2 year contract. 

I personally find the 600 download to be plenty sufficient for all my home use (2 gamers, 3 streamers, most every device available). I would like to see the upload increased by double. I find that to be the bottle neck weak spot in our home. I see the gig offers 5mbps more..yay. (Still not enough) IMO. 

0 Kudos

Just had a chat with shaw rep, no they can not do it , af...

marinerbcfc
Grasshopper

Just had a chat with shaw rep, no they can not do it , after all what we have been through with shaw here in powell river well it is time for telus pure fiber at 1.5 GB/S

during  promotion period it is $ 99 , i am paying 95 with shaw for the 600. 

0 Kudos

-- well it is time for telus pure fiber at 1.5 GB/S ... d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@marinerbcfc -- well it is time for telus pure fiber at 1.5 GB/S ... during  promotion period it is $ 99 , i am paying 95 with shaw for the 600. 

I was not aware that TELUS offered the 1.5 GBytes/second speed. Do you mean 1.5 GBits/second?

I thought that BELL is the only one offering 1.5 Gbit/second, and that TELUS' maximum is 1.0 Gbit/second.

What web-sites can "push" data to you at over 600 Mbits/second, such that an upgrade to 1000 Mbits/second would be any faster?

I think that you would need multiple computers in your home, each downloading at over 500 Mbits/second, to fully saturate a 1.0 Gbit/second service.  Is that what you have?

Powell River? You are better off than people in Bella Coola -- $70/month for "Internet 100" via a Telus SmartHub (WiFi).

0 Kudos

Streaming , games and smart home IoT will all benefit fro...

marinerbcfc
Grasshopper

Streaming , games and smart home IoT will all benefit from speed and bandwidth upgrade ,

https://www.telus.com/en/about/news-and-events/media-releases/telus-purefibre-1-5-gigabit-internet-i...

,,,, Bella Coola and Bella bella ....etc will be much better off with space X and it is coming i would say in less than a year

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/elon-musk-s-spacex-gets-crtc-application-approval-for-starlink-satel...

lol its like @ home  broadband demise all over again.

The funny thing is Shaw does not see the writing on the wall yet, i called and chatted with shaw agents asking to keep the promotion

in my line and upgrade me to Fiber+ gig. to the end of my term, was met with a stone wall refusal and then i got these offers  from telus

Internet 150 $85/M + Tax
Internet GIG $95/M + Tax (Same cost as 300 or 750)
Unlimited Data 2Y
Free Modem Rental
Free Install
$200 Bill Credits to buy out your Shaw contract.

And can add on a PIKTV+5 Deal $10/M + Tax
Free Apple 4K TV Box

You can also get a $10/M discount for 24M if you have a Telus or Koodo post paid mobility plan (non corporate) "

so bye bye Shaw , 

0 Kudos

I found that after upgrading to Fibre Gig Plus everything...

rickatk
Master

@Zibran  I found that after upgrading to Fibre Gig Plus everything just runs smoothers. I was looking for the fastest internet to support my 4K wireless TV boxes, multiple personal devices and an array of smart home clients. While I ddidnt see and appreciable speed bump(per speedtest), the stability has been noticeable.

I did get compensation for the modest price increase that I was original quoted.

0 Kudos

-- Thanks for the hyperlink that you provided. From that...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@marinerbcfc -- Thanks for the hyperlink that you provided. From that page :

Sign up for TELUS PureFibre 1.5 Gigabit Internet with unlimited home internet data on a 2 year term for $165/mo.

Regular rate for unlimited data, currently $15/mo. applies thereafter. Fees apply for early cancellation

Yes, $165/month, plus taxes. I guess that if you need that speed, you need that speed, at any cost.

That cancellation fee is $15 per month remaining in the contract.

Is it sneaky to charge extra for "unlimited data" after the end of the two-year contract?

$100 sign-up bonus to "new" customers.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help