IP Passthrough for Hitron CGNM 2250

dm2
Grasshopper

Hi,

I'm trying to improve wifi coverage through my house and have a TP Link wifi router that I would like to try to see if it improves. 

I've read the Shaw self help article "IP Passthrough for Hitron CGNM-2250"

It says I need a 2nd IP address. 

I'm not computer literate, but understand the menus in the Hitron to allow IP Passthrough and understand the Cat5E cable connections but don't understand the 2nd IP address, so maybe someone with experience can help me on this.

Does this 2nd IP Address have to be programmed into the Hitron or TP Link?

Can I get this 2nd IP address through the Shaw chat function?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

You need a second IP-address only if you want to simultan...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

You need a second IP-address only if you want to simultaneously use more than one "LAN" port on the Hitron, i.e., one Ethernet connection to a computer, and one Ethernet connection to the "uplink" port on your router, if the Hitron is configured to "bridged" mode.

If you leave the Hitron in its "default" settings, you will have active WiFi access via the Hitron, and you will have several active Ethernet ports on the Hitron, and you can connect the "uplink" port on your router to one of those Ethernet ports.  Then, your router will have its own WiFi access, plus the option of connecting more Ethernet cables to the "LAN" ports on your router.  This configuration only requires ONE IP-address from Shaw.

0 Kudos

Our chat team would be able to assist with activating a s...

shaw-valerie

@dm2 Our chat team would be able to assist with activating a second IP address for you, so that you can use the IP passthrough feature on the Hitron modem. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help