IPv6 with Hitron

mjducharme
Grasshopper

Hello Shaw support,

I have a Hitron modem in bridge mode. I am an IT professional and need IPv6 connectivity due to my particular line of work (as a network engineer), and currently get that through a tunnel. However, probably due to the jitter introduced by the Hitron, the tunnel limits my IPv6 throughput to around 10 or 20 Mbps and so I never really get to use my 150Mbps since my systems default to IPv6.

I understand if the Hitron device has not been tested for routing with IPv6, but is it possible to enable IPv6 in bridged mode on my account? I would really like to be able to use the 150Mbps that I am paying for on a monthly basis. I just upgraded to the Hitron modem early this year, before the Arris was available, and had to verbally sign a new contract.

Perhaps this is not an option in your existing provisioning system, but it would be nice (assuming you are not going to be deploying IPv6 to the Hitron modems globally in routed mode anytime soon) to have IPv6 enabled when using the device in bridge mode. I am not going to need any support for it - I understand how to configure DHCPv6-PD client, since I work for an ISP that offers IPv6 to residential users.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: IPv6 with Hitron

yubiao86
Grasshopper

Get the new XB6 modem for extra $10 per month and you will have native IPv6 support on that modem.

0 Kudos

mjducharme
Grasshopper

I don't particularly need the XB6, and if I upgrade so soon after upgrading to the Hitron, Shaw will force me onto an even longer contract than I just signed to get the Hitron.

It shouldn't matter whether or not the Hitron works properly as an IPv6 router if it is in bridge mode. Why not allow bridge mode customers with other modems to get IPv6?

corbin
Shaw Squad

IPv6 in bridge mode. Great idea. 

0 Kudos

In my opinion, the XB6 modem is junk.  I bought my Hitron...

SlyDen
Grasshopper

In my opinion, the XB6 modem is junk.  I bought my Hitron modem out right and I'd also like to use IPv6 with the Hitron modem.  Technically speaking these devices aren't modems anyway.  They are gateway devices and or Media converters if you will.

0 Kudos

Is that to hing that Shaw does not support dual-stack IPs...

iliaboutoma
Grasshopper

@corbin , was that reply to be taken as a hint that Shaw does not support dual-stack IPs in bridge mode on Hitron? Or just being snarky due to some other concern with IPv6 for bridged mode users?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help