Jump to solution

Is it possible to disable IPv6 through the Technicolor CGM4140COM XB6 Bluecurve modem settings?

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

I know this can be done on a device basis, but not on an iPhone. Unfortunately, IPv6 leaks your IP address when connected to a VPN (another reason to dislike the XB6). I can't seem to find the setting when I go to the router settings (http://10.0.0.1/).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

unfortunately it cannot be disabled. The modem needs it f...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 unfortunately it cannot be disabled. The modem needs it for IPv4 to IPv6 translation and the growing number of newer devices are IPv6 compatible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

-- leaks your IP address What does it see -- the "public"...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Upfront6891 -- leaks your IP address

What does it see -- the "public" IPv4 address that Shaw's DHCP-server assigned to your cable-modem, or the "private" IPv4 address for devices on your LAN?

Will your request work?  If your device chooses to send/receive via IPv6, and you do achieve blocking of IPv6 on the Shaw router, what will your computer do?  Will it fail to connect -- "no response from VPN-server" -- or will it "fall-over" to using IPv4?

If you disable IPv6 on your device, what information "leaks" to the VPN-server?  That server must know your "public" IPv4 address, in order to respond to your VPN-client.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Please stop replying to my posts. It seems the only reaso...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

@mdk Please stop replying to my posts. It seems the only reason you're here is to increase your post tally. 

I asked a simple question that has a simple yes or no answer. You then chime-in and start going on and on and on about something which isn't what I'm asking, Stop complicating the most basic issues. If I want convoluted responses I'll post on Reddit. I suggest you exit Shaw Forums and post there. Have a great day. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- It seems the only reason you're here is to increase you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Upfront6891 - It seems the only reason you're here is to increase your post tally.

Yes, as always, you're absolutely correct -- being ranked as Grand Master is never enough for me. :-^

As Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli said: "sit on it".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

unfortunately it cannot be disabled. The modem needs it f...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 unfortunately it cannot be disabled. The modem needs it for IPv4 to IPv6 translation and the growing number of newer devices are IPv6 compatible.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, I understand that. While newer "devices" are becomin...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony 

Yes, I understand that.

While newer "devices" are becoming more iPv6 compatible, it's still not mainstream in North American unlike in Europe. Moreover, most services and VPN providers (which Shaw doesn't support) do not support IPv6.

I ordered the Hitron, but it appears to be a dud and seemingly a reflection of Shaw's poor quality control with their refurbished process

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I’m interested in this issue. I use a VPN that only uses...

GenericUsername
Grasshopper

I’m interested in this issue. I use a VPN that only uses IPv4 and supposedly disables IPv6 when active. I have doubts of my “private and secure” connection while using a VPN specifically with iOS. Did you stick with Horton and have success? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help