Just lost internet

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

For the last 15 minutes my Shaw modem has been flashing Amber.  I have no internet connection (and subsequently no access to my TV, either).  Is there a problem or is this unscheduled maintenance (cannot find any information on scheduled maintenance in my area)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

-- at the peak of the wind-storm late on January 10, ther...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- at the peak of the wind-storm late on January 10, there were 180 thousand homes all over BC without electrical power.

Lights in my home "blinked", and the UPS (uninterruptible power supply) between my computer and the power-outlet "beeped", to indicate a power-spike, but my computer kept running.

Maybe, one of the outages hit Shaw's infrastructure in your area?  Check BC Hydro Outages for your area.

More outages today on Vancouver Island . We lost power in...

rickatk
Master

More outages today on Vancouver Island .

We lost power in Parksville and Victoria got hit pretty bad. power is back on after two hours. My home network is dazed, showing equipment id numbers rather than names in the app.

That’s the problem with power outages. The smart gear gets messed up sometimes.Let’s see how things go in a few hours.

Dang and I just installed a new Fire Gig pod. 😔

0 Kudos

I'm in the Calgary area, so I don't believe I would have...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

I'm in the Calgary area, so I don't believe I would have been affected by the wind storm in BC?

At any rate, it took about 45 minutes for the internet connection to resolve itself, but there doesn't seem to be any particular reason why it went down..  

0 Kudos

-- I'm in the Calgary area, so I don't believe I would ha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- I'm in the Calgary area, so I don't believe I would have been affected by the wind storm in BC?

I believe that BC passes a lot of weather originating from the Pacific Ocean (even from Philippines & Hawaii) over the Rockies, into Alberta. You can thank us for "sharing" our weather.  🙂

@rickatk -- that power-outage affected a friend's Shaw Phone adapter. When I called her, she would answer, but I could not hear her. When she recognized my Caller-ID, and called me, I could not hear her.

I had to physically visit her, unplug the AC power from her Shaw Phone adapter, and remove its backup battery, and then reconnect the battery & the AC power, to restore things.  A pox on the Shaw installation-technician that used 6-inch coaxial and telephone-cables, between the wall-outlet and the Shaw modem, making it a real struggle to disconnect/reconnect those cables, to be able to pick up the modem, to flip it over, to be able to remove the battery & its cover. 😞

TALK TO US
We're here to help