>Shaw is CORRECTLY routing according to the routing infor...

LevonJay
Grasshopper

>Shaw is CORRECTLY routing according to the routing information published by RIOT.

It is, unequivocally, not routing correctly.

Yeah, as I linked the previous unresolved regarding this exact issue, this is an open discussion regarding the poor routing and performance for this game. 

I've contacted shaw support 5+ times now with no resolution. Tried all different devices from multiple different locations with people from different ISPs and the end result was that this is a shaw issue.

This discussions shows up as the top google result for "shaw league of legends",in my area, and the top 5 when I use a proxy to check, so as of right now it's serving as warning to anyone else with Shaw or considering using their services.

Riot was kind enough to supply me with this:shaw-vs-telus.png

So I guess they are trying to tell me something....

0 Kudos

>>  -- Shaw is CORRECTLY routing according to the routing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LevonJay 

>> @mdk -- Shaw is CORRECTLY routing according to the routing information published by RIOT.

@LevonJay -- It is, unequivocally, not routing correctly.

I disagree. Anybody else want to cast their "vote" to break this tied vote?

Can you answer the other questions that I asked in my previous reply?

IMHO, your PING-times to the Shaw router closest to your cable-modem are abnormally large, implying that if you (or Shaw) resolves this issue, your PING-times to RIOT would decrease to "acceptable" levels.

Example of my PING-time to my closest Shaw router:

Reply from 96.54.224.1: time=13ms
Reply from 96.54.224.1: time=17ms
Reply from 96.54.224.1: time=7ms
Reply from 96.54.224.1: time=8ms

These numbers are significantly better than the numbers you are reporting.

I recommend that you make an official contact to Shaw Support, to report your slow PING-times. There is only so much that the people on this peer-to-peer discussion forum can do to help you.

0 Kudos

Well for some reason a different ISP is able to route cor...

LevonJay
Grasshopper

Well for some reason a different ISP is able to route correctly in the same city....

I did. You are not helpful. Stop responding. This is for people who are experiencing this issue not shaw white knights.

0 Kudos

-- for some reason a different ISP is able to route corre...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LevonJay -- for some reason a different ISP is able to route correctly in the same city

The reason is that the other ISP has routing information and metrics that do not route through Shaw's network connections (Vancouver to Seattle, or Edmonton to Chicago). To compare, if you walk to the local Starbucks, you will take a different route than if you drive to the same store.

Since this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, and not a path to Shaw Support, I recommend that you contact Shaw, to get help resolving those slow PING-times to Shaw's router in your city.

While reading this message, scroll-down to see:

Capture.JPG

Click on the "Your Voice" hyperlink to make official contact with Shaw about your slow PING-times.

0 Kudos

Shaw has networking that is being used, unequivocally, in...

LevonJay
Grasshopper

Shaw has networking that is being used, unequivocally, incorrectly. This is obvious and extremely apparent.

This is for people experiencing these issues. I do not want your help. Stop responding.

0 Kudos

I haven't heard of any routing or ping related issues rec...

shaw-tony

@LevonJay I haven't heard of any routing or ping related issues recently. We are constantly working with major servers to provide the best experience. Are you only having issues with League servers or are other games/sites showing the same issue?

Checking your connection, the modem signals are quite off-spec which can contribute to the slower connections. It may a kinked coax cable, faulty splitter/wall outlet, or an issue with the line from the street to your home. I understand you have contacted us multiple times to troubleshoot. I'd recommend touching base with technical support again to schedule a service technician to resolve the poor signal to your modem to see if it helps improve your experience.

It's only the league of legends servers from what I can t...

LevonJay
Grasshopper

It's only the league of legends servers from what I can tell. The routing will change randomly every month back to a better route and then change back. I've contacted Riot Games support multiple times and they say its an issue with my ISP and that if Shaw has a peering agreement then they should contact them.

I managed to capture the path when it is routed correctly and have supplied that in previous posts. I can manage to recreate the proper routing by rather than pinging their gameserver I ping a riot controlled router in Chicago (where the game server is hosted) to show how the game traffic used to be routed when it was working correctly.

I've attached the images below (first being the current route, second being how it used to route minus 2 hops since if I ping those it routes the other way):2020-10-21-lolping.png2020-10-21-lolping-chicago.png

I've contacted Shaw support again yesterday and since it was fixed from being off-spec last time there has been more issues and it's an area-wide problem they said and it has been going on for a few days. There's no way for me to check the status so I was told to just wait. 

0 Kudos

Hi  , was just casually reading this post and boy there i...

g-idk
Master

Hi @LevonJay , was just casually reading this post and boy there is some miscommunications going on.  I see that @mdk is truly trying to be helpful but there is only so much he can think of to try and trace the source.  I also see on here that @shaw-tony has said that your modem is out of specs 2 times, I understand that there is a current issue again in your neighbor hood but has your actual modem been replaced as well, in case that has internal issue as well. When you say Correct route to the game server, don't you actually mean optimal route, since there is no one route that is taken every single time a connection is made, unless forced thru a vpn.  A optimal route may work almost 24/7 for long periods but just one hiccup anywhere and it has to take a different path.  I think it would be best for you to continue with official Shaw Support, since this is only a peer to peer user help forum and not an actual channel to Shaw Support.  Truly hope everything works out for you and Shaw gets those issues you were talking about fixed, and maybe your modem as well.  Good Luck   

Last time my area was off-spec I contacted them again to...

LevonJay
Grasshopper

Last time my area was off-spec I contacted them again to check and they said everything looked good and the modem seemed to be functioning properly.

Depends on your definition of optimality so maybe routing traffic the slower, more volatile, more hops way is more optimal in the routing metric calculation being used to cause that to happen but when connecting to a game server that has two possible routes the "correct" route would be the one that results in the best performance and stability of ping.

I have contacted them multiple times and there are so many layers of issues going on that I've barely even scratched the surface. As I linked in my second post there was another post regarding this that initially started as a "thank you" and ended as an unresolved issue. I'm facing this issue to and I created this for the ongoing discussion of these issues.

Regardless of the frequent other issues I've had there still remains the issue that, randomly, anyone trying to play League of Legends will get 50% ping fluctuations due to changing routing. 

0 Kudos

Hi again  , ok I do understand what you are trying to say...

g-idk
Master

Hi again @LevonJay , ok I do understand what you are trying to say, and really sorry for your issues. This is something that we on this help forum are just not able to offer any more idea's.  Of course an optimal route would be the least amount of hops to the game server but it seems for this game at least something is telling Shaw, ooops better not go this way this time.  I really don't know if this is a problem that Shaw can fix.  Anyways I wish you good luck, and sorry I wasn't really any help for you.  Keep bugging Shaw Support Directly.  Stay Safe. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help