Liftmaster Internet Gateway connection problems

Ashley-Brad
Grasshopper

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had issues like me.  I currently have Shaw internet 150 with a Hitron CGNM 2250 modem that is In bridge mode and then the tplink deco m5 routers.  I went to install a liftmaster gateway to control my garage door and I can not get it to connect to the internet.

I have it currently hard wired into my router and it’s led lights are telling me it is getting an IP address but can not connect to the internet.  I contacted liftmaster and they said with that status it is because your port 53 and 8883 are closed.  I set up to open the ports with port forwarding on my router and it didn’t work.  I called and talked to tp link and they again walked me through the process and we set the liftmaster fateway to have a fixed IP address then set up two port forwarding’s for port 53 and 8883.  I rebooted the system and nothing it still can’t connect to the internet.  Tp link tried to ping the port for me through my up address and nothing.  They suggested I call and talk to Shaw cable.  

I then called and talked to Shaw cable and was assured that the isp does not block the ports and that the modem in bridge mode will not block the ports either.  They confirmed that the modem is in bridge mode so I can’t login to it to check if there could be any settings that are not right.

has anyone had any issues with this or had it fixed?  Does anyone have a liftmaster myq 828lm gateway with Shaw cable with no problems?  I am a bit of a newbie for tech so any help would be great as I am almost at the point of sending it all back.

Labels (2)
5 Replies

-- I currently have Shaw internet 150 with a Hitron CGNM...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ashley-Brad -- I currently have Shaw internet 150 with a Hitron CGNM 2250 modem.

You should be eligible for a "no-cost" upgrade from 150 to 300 -- I did get it.

> modem that is In bridge mode and then the tplink deco m5 routers.

Shaw does recommend that you "bridge" the cable-modem when you install such a "whole-home WiFi mesh".

> a liftmaster gateway to control my garage door and I can not get it to connect to the internet.

Does it connect to the TPLINK?  Can you access the Liftmaster from a computer also connected to the TPLINK?

Does the TPLINK need to be configured for "port-forwarding", so that unsolicited traffic from the Internet can go "through" the TPLINK to the Liftmaster?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  I have port forwarding set up on t...

Ashley-Brad
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply.  I have port forwarding set up on the router.  The Shaw modem is bridges.  I was able to ping the device from a command promp on a laptop through the IP address that my router assigned it.

the gateway from liftmaster needs to be plugged in through an Ethernet cable to be set up and then connected to wifi.  Unfortunately I can’t get it past step 1 and have it connect to the internet through Ethernet 😞

I have thought about the free upgrade because then I would get a new router / modem set all through Shaw and then it would be a piece of their equipment that is the problem for sure 

0 Kudos

the tp links are not routers, just a AP unit when you bri...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

the tp links are not routers, just a AP unit

when you bridge the modem it passes through just the 1 ip to a 3rd part customer provided router. my case xb6---> ubiquity usg-- other ubiquity switches and AP+ cameras. Bridged modem also passes all data unrestricted to the 3rd party devices.

The assigning ip to the clients is handled by the usg. I have a feeling your network configuration is the issue.

-- the gateway from liftmaster needs to be plugged in thr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ashley-Brad -- the gateway from liftmaster needs to be plugged in through an Ethernet cable to be set up and then connected to wifi.

I had to use a similar method when setting-up a wireless printer. My cable-modem is not "bridged", so I connected my computer and the printer to two Ethernet ports on the cable-modem.  Then, my computer was able to detect the printer, via the IP-address that the cable-modem assigned to the printer, and I was able to configure the printer with a SSID/password that the printer needed. Then, I detached the Ethernet cable from the printer, and the printer communicated via WiFi.  I had to "re-add" the printer, within Windows, since its IP-address changed, because the printer switched to using a different network adapter - from "wired" to "wireless".

> I have thought about the free upgrade, because then I would get a new router / modem.

Not necessarily. If you have a cable-modem that is currently configured & running at 150 Mbps, it has the capability to be configured for 300 Mbps. No change in hardware was needed, when I got the upgrade. I kept my Hitron cable-modem. Of course, check with Shaw, to confirm that the upgrade is "free" -- no additional monthly cost.

0 Kudos

I'm having the exact same problem with the Deco M9, and t...

Guardian1834
Grasshopper

I'm having the exact same problem with the Deco M9, and the MyQ Hub G0201C.  I've tried absolutely everything using my somewhat average knowledge of networking.  Hitron Modem is bridged, port forwarding set up for 53 and 8883.  I can assign an IP address handily, I can ping it, but I can't configure it beyond that.  Using online tools I've shown that those ports are still closed, but my limited networking knowledge is telling me that maybe there's something else I'm missing to ensure those ports are open.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help