Missing Certificate

docspratley
Grasshopper

I just received this message when attempting to log into my account: 

"The owner of myaccount.shaw.ca has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Websites prove their identity via certificates, which are issued by certificate authorities. Most browsers no longer trust certificates issued by GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Symantec, Thawte, and VeriSign. myaccount.shaw.ca uses a certificate from one of these authorities and so the website’s identity cannot be proven

Please advise how to access my account...

Doc Spratley

10 Replies

Re: Missing Certificate

Not applicable

Does it say why the certificate isn't accepted?  What is wrong with it for example?  Invalid because .......

0 Kudos

docspratley
Grasshopper

All it said was what I quoted.  It is now working again.....have no idea what happened.

So.....Problem Solved

shaw-tamara

Whew! Glad to hear it's working again

0 Kudos

docspratley
Grasshopper

It's BACK.......failed to launch....there is the reason:

shaw-tamara wrote:

Whew! Glad to hear it's working again

myaccount.shaw.ca uses an invalid security certificate. Certificates issued by GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Symantec, Thawte, and VeriSign are no longer considered safe because these certificate authorities failed to follow security practices in the past.

I hope you can fix this fast

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Something is seriohsly wrong with your computer/browser..

All of those companies are still trusted by the trust lists..  Symantec and Verisign do the certificates for the largest enterprises, you would have a large problem with the internet if they 'lost trust'

0 Kudos

mbir
Grasshopper

So Symantec certificates are no longer trusted after "some issues".

Browsers including Firefox, Chrome, Apple and Microsoft made statements about their plans to no longer trust certificates from Symantec.  Symantec sold its certificate business to DigiCert.  (Verisign sold its certificate business long ago to Symantec.)

Every time I go to my.shaw.ca, it shows a certificate (extended validation) from DigiCert so curious what you are seeing to get that error.  (Almost like one of the Shaw servers was not updated with a new certificate.)

0 Kudos

docspratley
Grasshopper

Just tried it again....now it is working.  I am going to some research into my Firefox and see if there is some setting that I have missed or set different.  Thanks to all.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Cool

It is about bloody time they were distrusted.

Regardless, glad it is working again for you.

0 Kudos

My partner has this problem as well and can receive but c...

itchi100
Grasshopper

My partner has this problem as well and can receive but can’t send email from his iPad.  His laptop and iPhone 5 are fine.  It took awhile to see what the problem was but it seems the “certificate” expired on October 10 and he had been unable to send emails from the iPad since then.  Is there a way to “trust” the certificate or must he delete the email account altogether (it’s a POP) and the re-add it?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help