Jump to solution

Modem Hitron CGNM-2250 stops visits from my small community of clients

syntel
Grasshopper

Hi All:

For seven years Shaw has provided me with great service !

But now, my modem (Hitron Model CGNM-2250) has been set up so that it rejects my visitors who arrive who visit like http://ww2.whosaway.com:4296. The visitor visits at *his* end as: whosaway.com.   This has worked with Shaw for *years* with no change.

But starting late last October I gave two weeks notice of moving south to Arizona for the winter. They, in error, shut me down *immediately* !.  I got online, and said "Get me back up for two weeks, I gave you a 2-week notice, why did you shut me down immediately ??" . They said "Sorry, we'll get you right back up ! "

So, some person in Shaw got me back online again. *But*, my clients could no longer visit my web sites !

I complained about it, but they said they had changed nothing. That's BS ! When I got to Arizona, and started using my Arizona provider (cox.com), with my same router (LinkSys EA 3500), everything worked perfectly again -- all winter.

So, now I got back here again this past Friday, had *no* internet, waited two hours online, finally got internet, but *still* my sites cannot be visited !!

Question:

What settings inside my modem, can I change that will get me past this roadblock ? That, will allow my modem to let *everybody* thru to my router without trying to be 'smart' ?

Your thoughts please.

-Mel

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hi mdk:    SUCCESS. I'm totally online now, and can visit...

syntel
Grasshopper

Hi mdk:

SUCCESS. I'm totally online now, and can visit both of my important sites (mesaeastpark.com and whosaway.com).

I give BIG Kudos to you for your persistence in kicking my butt to get me to dive deep.

Looking back over the last coupe of hours, it *now* seems easy and straightforward. But, a few hours ago, it seemed FORMIDABLE.

So, to *you* a great big thank you !

... and to Shaw Support who gave me the 2nd IP Address (took from 14:00 to 14:32 -- a half hour basically), I also compliment them for now really speeding up support calls (I was on for 2 hours waiting for Shaw on Saturday, then another hour for ShawDirect to refresh my satellite).

Thanks again  (and who wants to buy a new modem) :))

-Mel S

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Jump to solution

Hi All:    Well, I tried the Passthrough Setting on the H...

syntel
Grasshopper

Hi All:

Well, I tried the Passthrough Setting on the Hitron Modem, to see if I could make the modem 'dumber', and let my router take care of visitors. 

Result: When I enabled Passhrough and placed my router cable in port 1 and checked port1, etc, then res-started everything, I *lost* internet access !

I *know* they said to get an extra IP Address for the Modem, but there were no instructions as to what to do with this new IP Address once I got it. *So*, I went ahead with the Passthrough *without* having another IP Address. And I guess I lost internet access without it.

I'm a bit lost here and would like your thoughts.

Thanks,

-Mel

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So, if I read this all correctly, you are hosting a websi...

rstra
Grand Master

So, if I read this all correctly, you are hosting a website at your home?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Grasshopper: Since at least the year 2012 I have been...

syntel
Grasshopper

Hi Grasshopper:

Since at least the year 2012 I have been using Shaw for  7 months per year here in Alberta, then in late October, trundling my equipment down to Mesa, Arizona, and using Cox.com as my ISP there for 5 months during the winter, until late March when I return home -- successfully, until the firs hiccup late last October and *now* when I just returned. I used to drive north and south, but now I fly with two laptops (one is a development and programming machine, and the other is a Windows 7 laptop I use as my server with Apache 2.2 on it, and my CGI app as the host.

Altho two of my sites are .com, I have never even thought of charging for my sites. This is just my way of helping my community in my Senior's Park (mesaeastpark.com and mesaeastpark.net), and my programming friends and associates around the world who work in there respective countries and who use www.whosaway.com as their repository for download/updating their software.

Thanks for your query.

I hope you can give me and idea on how to proceed.  I'm prepared to buy another less-smart modem if that would help.

-Mel

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

IP Passthrough can make some port or CPE ("Customer Provi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

IP Passthrough can make some port or CPE ("Customer Provided Equipment" -- such as your own router) run under bridge mode, since gateway is under router mode.

If your Shaw device is in "router" mode, its WiFi is active, and all its Ethernet ports are active, and your Shaw device has a "public" IP-address on Shaw's network.

If Shaw has [freely!] given you a second IP-address (the first "public" IP-address is consumed by the Shaw router), and you enable Passthrough, then one Ethernet-connected device (your own router, or a computer) will obtain a "public" IP-address from Shaw.

You will need to change your DNS-settings so that "whosaway.com" [64.48.202.11/url-fwd.zoneedit.com] will redirect to your second IP-address [? 96.52.115.152/S0106f81d0f605303.ed.shawcable.net ?]

Check that "f81d0f605303" is the MAC-address of one of your devices.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Maybe your Shaw IP address changed when they disconnected...

rstra
Grand Master

Maybe your Shaw IP address changed when they disconnected you early.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

39m ago IP Passthrough can make some port or CPE ("C...

syntel
Grasshopper

IP Passthrough can make some port or CPE ("Customer Provided Equipment" -- such as your own router) run under bridge mode, since gateway is under router mode.

Hi MDK:

If your Shaw device is in "router" mode, its WiFi is active, and all its Ethernet ports are active, and your Shaw device has a "public" IP-address on Shaw's network.

I understand *that*

If Shaw has [freely!] given you a second IP-address (the first "public" IP-address is consumed by the Shaw router), and you enable Passthrough, then one Ethernet-connected device (your own router, or a computer) will obtain a "public" IP-address from Shaw.

I'd have to go on a chat wait list for hours., and then (if they even answered) what question or request would I give them so that they don't just hang up on me ??   Maybe: Gimme another IP . They would probably say "What for" or what are you talking about ?". So can you be more specific as to how to explain my situation, and what precisely I should ask ?

You will need to change your DNS-settings so that "whosaway.com" [64.48.202.11/url-fwd.zoneedit.com] will redirect to your second IP-address [? 96.52.115.152/S0106f81d0f605303.ed.shawcable.net ?]

A massive amount of work. And I suppose "96.52.115.152" is the *first* IP but just above you have that IP Address in brackets as the *second* address ?

Check that "f81d0f605303" is the MAC-address of one of your devices.

The modem is F81D0F605300  --- slightly different (last digit) than above !

I'm very confused here. Maybe you can elaborate ??

btw, in desperation I ordered this morning a simpler *wired* modem:  Arris/Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Should be here by Thursday for me to try if everything else fails.

Thanks for trying to help me !

-Mel

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Grasshopper: I don't remember, but I always check my e...

syntel
Grasshopper

Hi Grasshopper:

I don't remember, but I always check my external IP whenever something untoward happens.

I use "https://www.iplocation.net" daily to track my visitors geographical location, and to ensure my own IP address remains stable.

If it has changed, I go to zoneedit and edit my web site DNS settings. Its a pain but fortunately my dynamic IP Address remains fairly constant --- except of course when I move south or north. Then all hell breaks lose for about a day while I re-stabilize.

-Mel

Maybe your Shaw IP address changed when they disconnected you earl

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I'd have to go on a chat wait list for hours. >  so tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I'd have to go on a chat wait list for hours.

>  so that don't just hang up on me.

I think that you are being too pessimistic.

Also, get their name & location. If they do hang up, call back, and report their lack of professionalism to the shift-manager. Not the correct E-mail ID, but maybe try: internet.abuse@sjrb.ca -- they should forward your complaint to management.

Yesterday (Sunday) evening, when the local office was closed, I telephoned Shaw, and selected "new activations", and was told that my wait-time would be SIX minutes.  In reality, it was about TEN minutes -- 1/6 of one hour -- before the employee, who said that he was in some city in Saskatchewan (or was it Manitoba?) answered. He was very helpful, and took his time to answer all my questions.

Just ask for the "second IP address" to be added to your Shaw account. The Shaw employee should be able to follow your instructions. Maybe, your Shaw account already is charging you ($0.00/month ?) for having it? Ask them.

I do not have access to your "first" IP-address.

What I can see is that "ww2.whosaway.com" resolves to "96.52.115.152", and that this IP-address resolves to "S0106f81d0f605303.ed.shawcable.net", i.e., an IP-address in Edmonton.

> A massive amount of work.

Really? To me, changing the IP-address for "ww2.whosaway.com" to become that "second" IP-address should only take a few minutes, via that web-site that does the DNS settings.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi mdk: O.K., I'll give it a try on 'chat' What I can see...

syntel
Grasshopper

Hi mdk:

O.K., I'll give it a try on 'chat'

What I can see is that "ww2.whosaway.com" resolves to "96.52.115.152", and that this IP-address resolves to "S0106f81d0f605303.ed.shawcable.net", i.e., an IP-address in Edmonton.

The label on the Hitron Modem on my desk has: CM MAC: F81D0F605303    ???

Should this slight difference give a problem ?? 

I'm still confused as to what is first, and what is second.  You said that you don't have access to my *first* IP Address. I thought that "96.52.115.152" *was* my first IP Address.  And that I'm to get a *second* -- which I'll tell you if/when I get it.

So, I'll go and try to get the 2nd IP Address now, and check in -- when I've succeeded.

and the work I do at zoneedit is usually just modifying the IP Address forwarding field. The rest of the work is trying to figure out what to change and unchange on the modem itself.

THanks again for your help !

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help