More Ethernet ports

Rassilon
Grasshopper

Are you considering changing your modems? I want to go blue curve, but only two Ethernet ports just don't work for me.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

Connect one Ethernet port to the "uplink" port on your ow...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Connect one Ethernet port to the "uplink" port on your own third-party (D-Link, or Linksys by Cisco) router, and connect up to 4 computers to this router.  You may be able to purchase a router that offers 8 Ethernet ports.

Note that if you use the wireless services of the Shaw router, those devices will be on a separate private network, distinct from the private network provided by the third-party router, e.g., they will not be able to communicate with each other (or to a networked printer on the "other" network).

That is not a solution.

Rassilon
Grasshopper

That is not a solution.

I haven't heard of any news at this time in changing to a...

shaw-tony

@Rassilon I haven't heard of any news at this time in changing to a modem with more ports. I appreciate your feedback about the product and will pass it along.

It's quite ridiculous the Blue Curve modem only has 2 por...

Rossco1
Grasshopper

It's quite ridiculous the Blue Curve modem only has 2 ports for hard wired connection's. My last Shaw modem had 4 and that gave me all the option's I needed. I see that there is a next gen modem with 4. Can we exchange to that one? I don't want to add extra 3rd party router to an already very busy Tech household.

No need to get another router, I just added a $20 TP Link...

rstra
Grand Master

No need to get another router, I just added a $20 TP Link switch which gave me 4 more ports. 

Judging by the Comcast XFinity web site I would say a new...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

Connect one Ethernet port to the "uplink" port on your own third-party (D-Link, or Linksys by Cisco) router, and connect up to 4 computers to this router.  You may be able to purchase a router that offers 8 Ethernet ports.

Note that if you use the wireless services of the Shaw router, those devices will be on a separate private network, distinct from the private network provided by the third-party router, e.g., they will not be able to communicate with each other (or to a networked printer on the "other" network).

Judging by the Comcast XFinity web site I would say a new modem/router is in our future as well. The XB7 has four ethernet ports, supports WiFi 6, 2.5Gbps throughput and will be supporting a new set of pods which boasts better performance. Fear not, there is always something new coming down Shaw’s big pipe!

Note that "Shaw Business" customers get a different HITRO...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Note that "Shaw Business" customers get a different HITRON cable-modem -- capable of Gigabit speed, with 4 Ethernet ports, WiFi, and *NO* internal fan. Quiet!

I added a $20 thingamajig that plugged into one port to g...

Krysty6
Grasshopper

I added a $20 thingamajig that plugged into one port to give me 2 - but now the connection disables one if the other computer tries to use the internet.

What exactly do I buy, and from where?

0 Kudos

Does the computer have to be connected? I find I am getti...

rickatk
Master

@Krysty6 wrote:

I added a $20 thingamajig that plugged into one port to give me 2 - but now the connection disables one if the other computer tries to use the internet.

What exactly do I buy, and from where?

Does the computer have to be connected? I find I am getting good connection speeds over wifi. The Gateway is in a different room.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help