My experience with Shaw Wi-Fi

NKB1
Grasshopper

I just wanted to share my experience with Shaw Wi-Fi.

I feel like I got trapped by Shaw because I assumed the 300MBPS internet default setup would be more than enough to accommodate a regular size house so that when the modem is on the main floor and I'm 1 floor up in my room I wouldn't have any serious issues with streaming Wi-Fi. Also, if that was going to be the case, you'd think that when Shaw set it up they would have advised installing a router or extenders or anything necessary to at least have minimal functionality in the house.

*Before anyone says it's a technical support issue, IT IS NOT. I have done literally COUNTLESS tech supports with Shaw, changed the modem, had techs come in and change all the cables. I live at home and I don't have much money to buy a nice router right now and I just have to say the Wi-Fi "default" is GARBAGE.

**The problem is the default Shaw Wi-Fi range or internet is such garbage that even at 300MBPS in certain locations which aren't even that far away you'd think it would suffice or they would have set this up at the beginning for us so the primary account holder would have set it up in the first place right??? It's like how people "don't have signal in certain places" on their phones. Trust me, I'm 100% SURE of this regardless of anything a Shaw representative will say (they aren't the ones experiencing it).

It's not just me either, I got angry about it and the person in the room next to me said "it's the location I have the same problems in this room". It's like SERIOUSLY??? you can't even have BASIC connectivity up like 1 floor and directly up a small flight of stairs??? LOL

You have NO IDEA how bad it is. You have to either be in certain locations unless you are on the main floor... even just upstairs DIRECTLY past the stairs (it isn't a huge house either). Like when I sit at my desk ALL OF A SUDDEN the connection is perfect. But it's like I want to lie on my bed, watch movies, Netflix, browse the web, use FB, whatever... right???

When I'm in the bed or "certain locations" where it seems the "range is garbage without a router or extenders added" at some times it's literally SO BAD (other times it's minimally functional but still sucks) I won't even be able to like stream something on Netflix and my download speeds will decrease like 100x cause the connection is so weak it's literally disconnecting every 2 seconds. On FB it's like "Internet Not Connected" even if it shows it is cause it's like SO BARELY connected the messages and so many things aren't even going through, downloads and pages are constantly disconnected. I'm just making the point "it's bad" lmfao....

You have no idea how fed up I am, this has been an issue for so many years I basically blame Shaw for trapping me until I can get the extra cash for an upgrade and fix it.

Also, if you Google it it's like the average rating on this site was 1.4/5 out of like many reviews so it can't just be me...

I'm just trying to say, I wish they had mentioned this stuff that it was basically necessary or I wouldn't be able to sit on my bed in my room and do basic things without getting pissed off or having constant issues (literally CONSTANT). Sure, I can just move to my desk and fix the problem, but why can't I sit at my bed?

PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THIS IS A TECH ISSUE, we've been through this already, I just wanted to share my experience and recommend you let people know this when you first set up the internet because you don't know peoples situations.

Even at the "better location" where the connection is more consistent it's causing me problems rn... It literally is taking forever for me to make this post.

MY MESSAGE IS TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE SHAW WI-FI AND TO LET THE PEOPLE KNOW:

SHAW MAY NOT TELL YOU THIS BUT EVEN IN A REGULAR SIZE HOME AND NEIGHBOURHOOD AND LOCATION (completely normal in every way) YOU WILL NEEEEDDDDD A GOOD ROUTER/EXTENDERS/PODS TRUST ME!!!!!! LOL

This is a serious message and should be taken that way from someone that is fed up and has been spending probably over an hour trying to load the first episode of a Netflix series...

(Long-time customer)

Labels (2)
2 Replies

This is honestly APPALLING and VERY DISAPPOINTING. Other...

NKB1
Grasshopper

This is honestly APPALLING and VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Other people need to know about this because it is definitely Shaw's fault that as "experts" they weren't able to figure out their default range is SO weak I can't even load a Netflix episode in my room (it's been about an hour trying now in the GOOD location LOL). They basically trapped me and f-d me over so don't blame me for being upset you have no idea.

Honestly, it's almost as if they owe me my time and money for what I've had to put up with for so much time.

0 Kudos

-- LEASE DO NOT TELL ME THIS IS A TECH ISSUE The WiFi "cl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@NKB1 -- PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THIS IS A TECH ISSUE

The WiFi "cloud" around most WiFi devices is shaped like a TimHortons donut sitting on a plate -- lots of dough in a circle, but NOTHING vertically above the centre of the donut. 

Tim-Hortons-chocolate-donut.jpg

So, if you locate yourself one floor directly above the cable-modem, you should expect a weak signal.

Note that the strength of the WiFi signal does *NOT* depend on your Internet speed in your contract with Shaw Internet. 

Note that Shaw has at least 3 different cable-modems for RESIDENTIAL customers:

1. Hitron -- supplies up to 300 Mbps service
  2. BlueCurve XB6 -- supplies up to 1000 Mbps service
  3. BlueCurve XB7 -- even faster than the XB6, and with stronger WiFi

Which cable-modem do you have?

What is inside the walls of your home? Lots of metal framing that can block the WiFi signals?

> Shaw, changed the modem

OK. So, as you admit, in some locations in your home, the WiFi is "perfect".

What WiFi adapter do you have in your notebook computer? The "Wireless N" protocol maxes-out at 150 Mbps, while the newer "Wireless AC" protocol is much faster?

When you run the Shaw Speed Test on  your notebook when it is on the same level in your home as the cable-modem, what speeds are reported? Any better when the notebook computer is in the same room as the cable-modem?

trapping me until I can get the extra cash for an upgrade and fix it.

Shaw "rents" the WiFi-extender "pods" for a few dollars per month, added to your current Internet bill.  So, there is no need to "wait" to accumulate enough money for an outright purchase.  Note that a speed-upgrade from Shaw probably will NOT solve your issue, unless the upgrade gets you the latest XB7 cable-modem.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help