my xb6 needs to be rebooted daily, shaw support is adamant there's no issue =/

talios
Grasshopper

My hopes aren't high but thought i'd check if anyone else has experience with this. My Xb6 (god what a garbage modem) needs to be rebooted at least once or twice a day as it's latency will skyrocket right after the modem hops; i.e I just did a traceroute to google; first shaw hop after the modem was 100+ms; reset the modem and it's now 15. And it'll be good now for anywhere from 2-12 hours before needing to be reset again =/ This happens whether it's running by itself or in bridge mode w/ another router

Labels (1)
1 Reply

-- can you please post the results of the TRACEROUTE comm...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@talios -- can you please post the results of the TRACEROUTE command, with Google as the target? Do one immediately after the restart, and one after the "skyrocket" event.

Also, please do another trace for www.canucks.com and for www.rangers.com -- two quite-different paths.

I doubt that resetting your cable-modem will do anything, except for the "hop" between your cable-modem and the Shaw router in your city/town -- all the other "hops" should not be not affected by a restart of your customer-provided equipment. It would be a "strange" network if restarting one customer's modem affected the performance of the entirety of Shaw's infrastructure, or Shaw's interconnections to other networks.

A pothole on your street should not affect traffic on the Trans-Canada Highway #1 in a different province.  🙂

TALK TO US
We're here to help