-- At the end of the day, I had to take out the Airport E...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@XHP -- At the end of the day, I had to take out the Airport Extreme and attach back to Blue Curve, then connect 218j to Airport Extreme.  Everything back to normal.  Blue Curve very likely is the cause.

I think that a lack of understanding of NAT ("Network Address Translation") is the cause.

If the BlueCurve cable-modem is "bridged", and you attach the Airport Extreme to one of the LAN ports on the BlueCurve, the Airport Extreme's DHCP-client should get a "public" IP-address (on Shaw's network, it will be something like 24.xx.yy.zz or 96.aa.bb.cc.dd). This will be the "WAN" IP-address of the Airport Extreme.

The AirPort Extreme's DHCP-server will supply "private" IP-addresses to devices that connect (wired/wireless) to it, in the range "192.168.xx,yy", where "xx" probably is "0" or "1" or "10" or "20', and "yy" is between "1" and "255". These are the "LAN" addresses for the Airport Extreme.

Then, if you connect the NAS as a client to the Airport Extreme, its DHCP-client should receive one of those "192.168.xx.yy" IP-addresses from the Airport Extreme.  Any other device (wired/wireless) also connected to the Airport Extreme will receive a very-similar IP-address.  The result will be that any of those devices will be able to communicate with the NAS.

On the other hand, if the BlueCurve cable-modem is NOT "bridged", then its WAN port will receive a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server, and will give "private" IP-addresses, in the range "10.0.0.xxx" to DHCP-clients -- wired or wireless. In this case, I would "retire" the Airport Extreme - disconnect it, and leave it aside. All your devices, including the NAS, will communicate over that "10.0.0.xxx" network. This presumes that the DHCP-client in the NAS is active, and that it asks the BlueCurve's DHCP-server for an IP-address.

0 Kudos

So, my Seagate NAS was only accessible through the older...

kidknicky
Grasshopper

So, my Seagate NAS was only accessible through the older conventional ip address which starts "192.168..."

This was no longer possible after connecting our new XB7

When I physically unplugged that device for 10 seconds, it released the old ip address and then the XB7 was able to

register that device the new ip address in it's range, which is now "10.0.0..."

Sometimes the simplest answer is the easiest fix!

Hope this helps...

JD

-- When I physically unplugged that device for 10 seconds...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kidknicky -- When I physically unplugged that device for 10 seconds ...

That "trick" also is necessary for WiFi-enabled printers, when you switch cable-modems, even when you replace a failing BlueCurve by a replacement BlueCurve.  But, powering-off the failing modem may be enough to get the printer to "refresh" its IP-address, when the replacement modem is powered-on.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help