New Bluecurve Modem Slow Speed

SurfsUp
Grasshopper

Hello,

I've just self-installed a new Bluecurve Modem w/ 600, but I'm not getting a faster speed than ~340. Is it possible my account speed is still set to the old 300 account? Also, I had a second IP address on my old account; is that still activated or will I need to be assigned a second IP address again?

Many thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Yes, this occurs occasionally. You are best to contact Sh...

rickatk
Master

Yes, this occurs occasionally. You are best to contact Shaw directly to complete the upgrade activation. 

Thanks for the reply. I was talking to Shaw as I was doin...

SurfsUp
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking to Shaw as I was doing the set-up (mostly great people!), but now that the install dust has settled I've been noticing a few things.

My poor old TP Link Archer has also given up the ghost, so I'm looking into a new 3rd party router set-up.

0 Kudos

> My poor old TP Link Archer has also given up the ghost,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> My poor old TP Link Archer has also given up the ghost, so I'm looking into a new 3rd party router set-up.

Do you really need a second IP-address?

Purchase a D-Link 5-port or 8-port Gigabit router from "The Source" (retail store, in many Canadian malls) for under $40 CDN.

Connect one port to your Shaw router, and the other ports to your computers. The Shaw router will provide a "private" IP-address to each computer.

Use the built-in WiFi in your Shaw router for your wireless devices. The Shaw router will provide a "private" IP-address to each device.

Disconnect the AC power from your BlueCurve modem, wait a few seconds, and reconnect the power. This will force a full "reset" of the device, including a download of the configuration-files, to give you the "600" speed.

How fast is the computer that you are using to run the Shaw SpeedTest? To get the best results, it must be connected via a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable -- not via WiFi -- and it must be at least a dual-core 3.0 Ghz processor -- any slower processor cannot run the test at full speed.

That was going to be my question too. Do you really need...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

> My poor old TP Link Archer has also given up the ghost, so I'm looking into a new 3rd party router set-up.

Do you really need a second IP-address?

Purchase a D-Link 5-port or 8-port Gigabit router from "The Source" (retail store, in many Canadian malls) for under $40 CDN.

Connect one port to your Shaw router, and the other ports to your computers. The Shaw router will provide a "private" IP-address to each computer.

Use the built-in WiFi in your Shaw router for your wireless devices. The Shaw router will provide a "private" IP-address to each device.

Disconnect the AC power from your BlueCurve modem, wait a few seconds, and reconnect the power. This will force a full "reset" of the device, including a download of the configuration-files, to give you the "600" speed.

How fast is the computer that you are using to run the Shaw SpeedTest? To get the best results, it must be connected via a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable -- not via WiFi -- and it must be at least a dual-core 3.0 Ghz processor -- any slower processor cannot run the test at full speed.

That was going to be my question too. Do you really need an after market wifi router. I have found the BlueCurve Gateway sufficient. I dropped my AirPort Extreme and have a BlueCurve (Technicolour) running the wifi show. My download speeds over wifi are 640Mbps on an iMac and 525Mbps on an iPad Pro. Both are late model devices.

TALK TO US
We're here to help