New to Shaw's Internet - Network design ??

swooshyyc
Grasshopper

Hey all...

Getting Shaw 300 installed on Thursday in my newly built 2 story (1600sq/ft).  Shaw was not my 1st choice as I am more familiar with Telus but they managed to mess up a fibre line and won't have service in the Calgary community of Legacy until May.   I want to make sure I am set with equipment and wonder if I need to get a wifi extender or another router to ensue I get the most out of the 300 package speeds throughout the entire home?

Anyone have any thoughts for me of perhaps a map of what they have done in a similar position?

I will be running 2 Xbox for the kids along with a gaming PC.   There will obviously be several phones/tablets running off wifi as well as a few Google Home devices.

Any help for me would be rewarded with good karma

SwooshYYC

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: New to Shaw's Internet - Network design ??

Not applicable

Where to start is put the modem/router in the middle of your home if possible and check the signal in various places in your home and go from there..

If you have a wiring-panel where the modem 'needs' to go, consider getting your own router to put in the middle of the home, otherwise look at access points to connect in a couple places that already has network cable run.

There are a LOT of options and ways go get this done.  Don't know until some sort of site-survey is done on your home, which is usually easier after getting service, but it can be done before depending on what you have around.

TALK TO US
We're here to help