New XB6 Modem Getting Very Slow VPN Speeds

Not applicable

Dear Shaw Community,

I recently got my new XB6 modem. With no VPN turned on I am getting the full 600+mbps. But with VPN turned on, I am getting 80-110mbps. On my previous modem, the hitron one - I was getting the maximum 300mbps with the VPN turned on. All my settings are the exact same on the VPN side.

some information:

- I am running pfsense

- I am running private internet access via openvpn on the pfsense box

- I am running my xb6 modem in bridge mode (same as my hitron modem)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: New XB6 Modem Getting Very Slow VPN Speeds

Not applicable

With the VPN off, try running a couple of the Puma tests.

OpenVPN appears to the router the same as downloading any file..  It uses the very common protocols (TCP/UDP), so the router isn't going to be doing anything else to the traffic compared to normal web browsing.  L2TP and PPTP VPNs do use a different protocol, and can get affected differently, is why I mention it.

0 Kudos

Re: New XB6 Modem Getting Very Slow VPN Speeds

Not applicable

So I spoke to pfsense community and my VPN support and they are all saying it is the modem. So I chatted with shaw support and they are putting the blame on my side. They said it is either my pfsense misconfigured, or something to do with QOS or shape shifting on my pfsense box and the switch.

So, i plugged in a laptop directly into the modem. No more pfsense, no more PIA configuration settings on my pfsense, no switch, no QOS, no shape shifting, etc... and I am getting even slow speeds on the VPN client that you can download for windows.

Here is my tests:

internet 150 plan w/ Hitron modem gets 300mbps on VPN
internet 150 plan w/ Hitron modem gets 300mbps without VPN

internet 300 plan w/ xb6 modem gets 200 mbps on VPN
internet 300 plan w/ xb6 modem gets 600 mbps without VPN

internet 300 plan w/ xb6 modem connected directly to a laptop gets less than 100 mbps on VPN
internet 300 plan w/ xb6 modem connected directly to a laptop gets 600 mbps without VPN

Now, I am paying more money for a 600mbps plan than my old plan while getting 100 mbps LESS download speed than my old internet 150 plan (I am getting 200mbps on my VPN with new plan vs 300 mbps on my VPN with the old plan)

Very frustrating...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help