Jump to solution

Not getting 600 Mbps on Technicolor Modem

Barry88
Grasshopper

I just upgraded to a technicolor modem 2 days ago. I was using a hitron modem before that. My TV with WIFI was upgraded at the same time as well. I do an ASUS router connected on one if the modem ports. It borrows wifi from the technicolor modem. 

The issue I'm having is that I am getting consistent 85 Mbps on most areas of my townhouse, and not close to the advertised 600Mbps. Even when I directly connect my laptop with a CAT6 cable to the technicolor modem, I am receiving about 85 Mbps. Everything seems solid, but I'm not receiving close to the advertised speeds.

I have power cycled the technicolor modem, but I am still getting around 85Mbps on our devices. Any ideas?

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

thanks for trying that. You know that is a great catch. I...

shaw-tony

@Barry88 thanks for trying that. You know that is a great catch. I double-checked your modem speeds and they were indeed set on your old plan. I have updated the modem which now should be providing up to 600 Mbps. Keep me posted on how it goes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks Tony! You are the man! The technicolor modem is wo...

Barry88
Grasshopper

Thanks Tony!

You are the man! The technicolor modem is working close to the advertised speeds. The following pics were taken with an iPhone XR standing 1 feet away from the modem. As you can see, the earlier speeds were bottlenecked at 85Mbps.  

iphone pic.png

iphone 2.png

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Jump to solution

that is certainly odd as the signal to your modem looks g...

shaw-tony

@Barry88 that is certainly odd as the signal to your modem looks good. Plugging the 3rd party ASUS router will cause an IP mismatch which will create slow speed issues. Do you have any special settings changed with the BlueCurve modem? I'd recommend a factory reset, disconnecting the 3rd party router and try another direct ethernet connection from your laptop or PC to the modem. Are you running speed tests on https://speedtest.shaw.ca/. I'd also recommend running the speed test in incognito mode on Chrome and disable extensions as they have also caused reports of slow speeds.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply Tony. The Asus router does not...

Barry88
Grasshopper

Thanks for the quick reply Tony. The Asus router does not have an IP assigned. It is just using the internet feed from 1 of the 2 of the gateways ports on the back of the technicolor modem. I did try disconnecting the Asus router and connecting my laptop with a CAT6 cable directly to the technicolor modem. Again, it is bottlenecked at 85 Mbps. I will try to factory reset later this afternoon. 

Just curious. Is it possible that the internet is still stuck on the internet 75 plan and haven’t been unlocked to internet 600? 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

thanks for trying that. You know that is a great catch. I...

shaw-tony

@Barry88 thanks for trying that. You know that is a great catch. I double-checked your modem speeds and they were indeed set on your old plan. I have updated the modem which now should be providing up to 600 Mbps. Keep me posted on how it goes!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks Tony! You are the man! The technicolor modem is wo...

Barry88
Grasshopper

Thanks Tony!

You are the man! The technicolor modem is working close to the advertised speeds. The following pics were taken with an iPhone XR standing 1 feet away from the modem. As you can see, the earlier speeds were bottlenecked at 85Mbps.  

iphone pic.png

iphone 2.png

Jump to solution

> The Asus router does not have an IP-address assigned....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The Asus router does not have an IP-address assigned.  It is just using the internet feed from 1 of the 2 of the gateways ports on the back of the technicolor modem.

The "uplink" (or "WAN") port on the ASUS router has received a "private" IP-address from the Shaw device, e.g., something like "10.0.0.xxx" or "192.168.yyy.zzz", not a "public" IP-address that would be assigned by Shaw's Internet DHCP-servers.

Be sure to use CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cables on all the ports on the ASUS router, because CAT-5 cables are certified only to a maximum of 100 Mbits/second.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi mdk, Thanks for the heads up. The only Ethernet connec...

Barry88
Grasshopper

Hi mdk,

Thanks for the heads up. The only Ethernet connection on the Asus router is the connection to the technicolor modem. That is a CAT6 connection. All of the devices connected to the Asus router are through wifi. I will only use CAT6 and above if I decide to hard wire any devices to either the technicolor or Asus router. 

Yes, the technicolor modem assigned an IP address to the Asus router. It is 10.0.xxx as you have mentioned above. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey Shaw-tony, do you think you could check my bluecurve...

Eddy_B
Grasshopper

Hey Shaw-tony, do you think you could check my bluecurve gateway to see if I have the same problem?

I was getting 591, then it dropped back to 85, similar to before.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is a very common problem when upgrading internet pla...

rickatk
Master

This is a very common problem when upgrading internet plans. Switching to the upgrade plan seems to get overlooked during self activations.

Glad to see this all worked out.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks rickatk. It’s been 2 months and the modem is solid...

Barry88
Grasshopper

Thanks rickatk. It’s been 2 months and the modem is solid. The Xi6 TV Wireless box has been solid as well. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help