Not receiving emails from a specific sender

Bally120
Grasshopper

Hello, This is the 3rd day that suddenly the emails from my sister are not getting through to me.

They are being returned to her with this message.

This message was created automatically by the mail system (ecelerity).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

>>> XXXXX@shaw.ca (after MAIL FROM): 550 5.1.0 <XXXXX@mymts.net> sender rejected AUP#CDRBL

Neither of us has changed anything in our emails recently.

She is with MTS and it seems that now when she sends an email to anyone with a Shaw email, it is rejected.

How do we fix this?

Thanks

Labels (1)
26 Replies

I am having a similar problem but without any error messa...

Hudson-Guy
Grasshopper

I am having a similar problem but without any error messages and I too have not changed any email settings, etc. whatsoever. Since June 2, I am not receiving any email from Kijiji (buyer replies or Kijiji ad confirmations). Yesterday, I contacted Kijiji about this problem and they advised me that they have noticed recently that email with the shaw.ca domain is being blocked by SHAW. Kijiji support said they are working with Shaw to resolve the problem. Today, June 4, the problem still exists. Fix this Shaw! Why does this happen all of a sudden??? Everything has worked fine for years until now!

0 Kudos

Same problem with Kijiji emails( buyer replies and ad con...

jhoyle
Grasshopper

Same problem with Kijiji emails( buyer replies and ad confirmations) Have talked with Shaw technical staff and Kijiji and both point the finger at the other guy. I do receive Kijiji ad alerts and have received emails from Kijiji tech staff but not an emails involving my ads.  As with Hudson-Guy this happened about June 2 and is still happening June 7

0 Kudos

-- sender rejected AUP#CDRBL Sender -- your sister. Rejec...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bally120 -- sender rejected AUP#CDRBL

Sender -- your sister.

Rejected -- by Shaw's mail-server.

AUP -- maybe "Appropriate Usage Policy".  Shaw has an AUP, which governs how Shaw's services can, and cannot, be used.

CD -- (no guess)

RBL -- maybe "Real-Time Black-List" -- a dynamically-updated list of E-mail IDs that Shaw does not want to accept as senders of E-mail.

I can think of two possibilities:

1. somebody has "hacked" the E-mail password for your sister's account, and is logging-on to "MTS WebMail" to send many "spam" messages, especially to Shaw E-mail IDs, and Shaw has decided to "block" E-mail from her ID. If this is possible, she must change her E-mail password. She should run a "virus-scan", to see if there is malicious software on her computer.

2. some spammer has injected her E-mail ID into the "FROM:" field of many "spam" messages that are addressed to Shaw E-mail IDs. The spammer could be sending through a mail-server OTHER than the MTS mail-server.  Thus, she is an innocent "victim" of the spammer -- "collateral damage", as they say.

Can she experiment, by slightly changing her E-mail configuration, to cite bally120-sister@mts.net to be used in the "FROM:" field, and then sending a "test" E-mail to you? If the MTS mail-server does not thoroughly check that field, and block the sending of the E-mail, do you receive the "test" message from her. You will not be able to "reply" to your message, but you can compose a new message to her, to tell her that her "test" message was delivered to you. Remind her to "undo" that change.

Then, you should contact Shaw Support ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222 ) to ask that her ID be removed from Shaw's "black-list".

&  -- login to Shaw Webmail. Under "Preferences", check t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jhoyle & @Hudson-Guy -- login to Shaw Webmail.

Under "Preferences", check the setting for "spam" messages.

If it set to "automatically and silently delete spam messages", then change this setting to "mark as suspected spam, and deliver it".

Then, in your normal E-mail program, wait for new messages that your E-mail program will be dumping into your "JunkMail" folder.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Oops. Incorrect: not be able to "reply" to your message,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Oops.

Incorrect: not be able to "reply" to your message,

Correct: not be able to "reply" to her message,

0 Kudos

UPDATE: June 7th, Shaw and/or Kijiji email issue still ex...

Hudson-Guy
Grasshopper

UPDATE: June 7th, Shaw and/or Kijiji email issue still exists. Jhole Grasshopper described it well. Able to get Kijiji ad alerts and Kijiji tech staff email but nothing ad related. FYI: Ad related email usually ends in kijiji.ca. Today I had a live chat with Shaw support. They were useless as they could not grab the concept that there is Shaw webmail and Shaw regular email. Shaw support did tell me however that any setting you adjust in webmail will have no bearing on your regular email (ie. Outlook). This brings me to mdk Grand Master's suggestion below. I tried his suggestion anyway despite knowing what Shaw support told me. INDEED, it makes no difference to your regular email. I even went to the extent of placing a new ad on Kijiji to see what would happen. I received nothing, no Kijiji ad confirmation email. Furthermore, I sent a very detailed email to Kijiji support staff this morning outlining all my troubleshooting results - have not heard back from Kijiji yet. Just FYI: I have tried Win-10 using Mail app, Win-7 using Outlook app, different Kijiji accounts, different email accounts and NOTHING works. I strongly believe now the issue is with Kijiji. The question is what happened between June 2nd and June 3rd. I placed ads on June 2nd with no problem. On June 3rd I found replies in Kijiji messenger but nothing in my regular email. Nothing has changed since then.

0 Kudos

Sorry but the problem is Kijiji's not all the nonsense yo...

jhoyle
Grasshopper

Sorry but the problem is Kijiji's not all the nonsense you are proposing

0 Kudos

-- they could not grab the concept that there is Shaw web...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Hudson-Guy -- they could not grab the concept that there is Shaw webmail and Shaw regular email.

Shaw runs a "mail-server". All your incoming E-mail is stored on that server.

Compare to having a mailbox on the outside of your house. You can "peek" into the mailbox, and remove/discard all the advertising flyers, and that leaves only the "good" messages inside the mailbox. With Shaw WebMail, you are similarly "peeking" at the messages that are stored on Shaw's mail-server. If you double-delete (delete a message, and then delete the message from your "Trash" folder), the message is removed from Shaw's mail-server, but all other messages still are stored on Shaw's server.

Outlook can be configured in two different ways to connect to Shaw's mail-server:

1. POP -- "Post Office Protocol" -- compare to grabbing all the letters/flyers from your house's mailbox, and dumping them onto the dining table in your house. The exterior mailbox is now empty. If you then launch Shaw WebMail, there will be nothing available to be "peeked-at".

2. IMAP -- this function is also a "peek" type of operation, exactly like Shaw WebMail.  Anything you "double-delete" is permanently deleted. All the other messages stay on Shaw's mail-server. If you then launch Shaw WebMail, all those remaining messages will be available to be "peeked-at".

In summary, Shaw runs just ONE mail-server, but you have two different methods of interacting with that server.

> Shaw Support did tell me however that any setting you adjust in webmail will have no bearing on your regular email (ie. Outlook). 

I disagree. The messages contained in Shaw's mail-server have been scanned for "spam" type of content. If you configure Shaw WebMail to automatically delete those "spam" messages, they will not be available to be viewed by either Shaw WebMail or by Outlook.

If you use Shaw WebMail to add the "Shaw suspected spam" tag to the SUBJECT line of the message, and NOT to permanently delete it, you will see that tag, whether you use Shaw WebMail or Outlook to view the message.

Access Shaw WebMail, and click "Preferences", and confirm that the "permanently delete all SPAM messages" is NOT checked. If it is enabled, and Shaw's mail-filtering system declares that the messages from KIJIJI "look like spam", then you will never see those messages in your "inbox". 

A typical "spam" message may consist of a few words, e.g., "I am lonely. Contact me via this link:", followed by a URL. I am wondering if the messages that people send, in response to your advertisements, have the same structure -- "I want to purchase your item, as shown on this URL", with the URL of your advertisement.  About the same number of words, and just one URL in both messages. Which is "spam" and which is not?

Have you tried replying to one of your own listings, with a few paragraphs of text, maybe copied from an article on the CBC News web-site? KIJIJI may automatically insert the URL for your listing. But, your message will be 90+ percent "text" -- not just a few words.  Maybe, Shaw's filters will not discard your crafted message.

0 Kudos

First of all, this troubleshooting is getting way out of...

Hudson-Guy
Grasshopper

First of all, this troubleshooting is getting way out of hand. The problem that Shaw email users are having with Kijiji ad-related email is not a software setting on their email application whether they are using Shaw Webmail, MS-Outlook, MS-Mail, or any other program. I know this because the problem occurred overnight between June 2 (no issues) and June 3 (issues exist). Also, the fact that many people are affected by this email issue indicates that something source-related changed overnight that only Shaw or Kijiji has access to.

Yes, Shaw has mail servers that ALL email applications access to send/receive mail from. All my email applications are receiving the exact same email. Changing a setting on Shaw Webmail or any other application only changes how that application interacts with the Shaw mail servers. So, either Kijiji is not sending ad-related email to Shaw customers for some reason -OR- Shaw's mail server spam settings (configured by Shaw not customers) is filtering/blocking Kijiji email for some reason. It's that simple.

UPDATE: Yesterday, I received a reply from Kijiji technical support in response to my inquiry about this ongoing email issue. They continue to insist that Shaw is blocking Kijiji email and state they are trying to work with Shaw to resolve the problem. Has anyone received any sort of acknowledgement from Shaw a problem exists and that they are working with Kijiji???

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help