Jump to solution

Re: packet loss @rc4ec-be13.il.shawcable.net

junny
Grasshopper

I think you are right in terms of the possible point of issue. 

By the way, what is your internet plan and what router do you have?

This all started when i upgraded to 300 plan with the new router. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

I have the 300 plan, that is now actually 600.

I use an XB6 with puma chip set in bridge mode.

As a router I don't use a traditional consumer router. Instead I build my own using my previous gaming PC and converted it into a routing appliance using a special OS/routing software called untangle. You can google it to see what it is, and it's costs $50/year for the software with all the options included.

They have a live demo server you can use to see what it provides. 

The PC consists of a 2500K @ 4.4 Ghz, and 16 GB of DDR ram with 2 on board gigabit nic's and a 1TB HDD.

It never runs out of processing power and is capable of proper QOS and traffic shaping if required.

For my wired connections I use 2 managed 8 port switches and for wireless 2 routers I put in wireless access mode.

It's not the usual setup someone would have, but it enables me to have all my network devices working together without any issues.

I can game, stream and download large volumes of data all at the same time and share the bandwidth if needed.

I have something like 20 devices in my home all connected to the network.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

junny
Grasshopper

Great thanks for sharing .I think it's the router problem . I've been researching and there seems to be a lot of problems with xb6 (puma) router . Some ppl have mentioned that if they put the router in bridged move, it alleviates the packet loss and ping spike. 

Would you say this is true?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

The major issues were with the Puma 6 chip set. The XB6 uses Puma 7 chip set and is supposed to be better.

I have used my XB6 both in bridged and non bridged mode, and had no real issues with it either way.

According to the DSL puma chip set test I do have 1 or 2  ping spikes during a test resulting in a few red blocks, but I game on mine without any issues for hours at a time.

Some insist there's issues with the Puma 7, but from my experience it seems to work just fine for me.

I would try it in bridged mode and see if your problems go away.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

junny
Grasshopper

shaw-tony‌ it appears that alot of people are having issues with PUMA 7 chip router causing alot of high ping spikes and buffer bloating. Is there any plan for SHAW to get a new router or get an updated router sometime soon?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tamara

We're not aware of any immediate plans to move away from the XB6 or to add another type of modem/router to our hardware offerings, but technology changes all the time so it's really hard to say one way or another. https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1297  has a list of all of our Internet modems - if anything changes, it will be added there. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

junny
Grasshopper

shaw-tamara‌ thanks for the reply. Is Shaw aware of the buffer bloating (ping spikes & packet losses) due to puma 7 chip (alot of the users have complained similar issues) ? if so, is there going to be a firmware update coming up soon

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

shaw-tamara

There already is a newer XB6 modem not using the Puma chipset..  No idea why Shaw decided to call it the same model though

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

junny
Grasshopper

Is this available to SHAW customers? How would I go about swapping it as chat support is being useless right now.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

It took years to admit that the Puma6 had issues, even then, it isn't a full admission..

Personally, I noticed it within an hour of getting it, I didn't realize at that time it was a world-wide issue, thought it was a Shaw firmware butcher job

Don't count on it

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help