Pay for 600 get 30 (or less)

myklgrant
Grasshopper

Lately Shaw 600 has been a joke (Shaw 1000? dream on)

I've been getting 0-30 for days now. Download is often 0.

I've patient and understand that due to the pandemic usage is high but getting only 5% of what i pay for is frustrating.

And since I have Bluecurve it affects my television.

If they can't supply their product why do I have to pay full price. If I order a pizza i expect to get a pizza not  a 1/20th slice.

Michael

Labels (1)
8 Replies

You say lately, which lets assume for a moment this is be...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

You say lately, which lets assume for a moment this is because everyone is now working from home and in turn that is overloading the node. The first thing I would do is some simple troubleshooting like making sure the modem is directly connected to the line from the street to eliminate any splitters as the culprit. This will probably mean the modem ends up in a less than ideal location for coverage, but atleast you only have to live with that for a couple days while you check to see if that fixes the problem.

Next, I would contact Tech Support and have them check things out. Then keep pestering them until techs are sent out to check the wiring. Again assuming the node is saturated, the only way to get Shaw to resolve this is to have techs come check your home and street wiring and then escalate it up the chain. Sure it will take time and I totally get the frustration. I work from home and use a VPN, if I had to work on 30Mbps..... I would probably switch providers.

I personally have gigabit and can confirm, I get gigabit speeds, so yes it is possible 😛

-- have you tried the "simple" things: disconnect the el...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@myklgrant -- have you tried the "simple" things:

1. disconnect the electrical power from the BlueCurve, waiting 30 seconds, reconnecting it, and waiting for it to fully restart?
  2. unscrew the coaxial-cable from both the BlueCurve and the wall-port, and then reconnect it, making sure that it is tightly-connected?
  3. tried a different coaxial-cable?
  4. bypassing any "cable-splitter" and "amplifier" ?
  5. tried connecting the BlueCurve to a different active wall-port in your home?
  6. tried connecting the BlueCurve to a different active wall-port in a friend's/neighbour's home?
  7. tried connecting a different computer to your BlueCurve, to rule-out any problem with your computer's network-adapter?
  8. tried a different "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6" Ethernet cable?

Use Shaw SpeedTest after each above suggestion.

0 Kudos

how are you testing these speeds? wifi or ethernet. If wi...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

how are you testing these speeds? wifi or ethernet. If wifi there is not much anyone can do. Unless you tell your area to turn off there wifi

0 Kudos

-- If WiFi, there is not much anyone can do. Unless you t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dragonstone634 -- If WiFi, there is not much anyone can do. Unless you tell (other WiFi users in) your area to turn off their WiFi.

That is not necessarily true.

Older WiFi devices use the 2.4 Ghz band, which can get "crowded", but only if you live in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building).  If you live in a house, or duplex, or townhouse, you should be OK -- very little interference from your neighbours' WiFi "cloud".

Newer WiFi devices can also use the 5 Ghz band, which is less crowded.

You may purchase a 5 Ghz WiFi adapter that connects to a USB port on your computer, to upgrade your WiFi (different band, and probably faster speed).

You can also configure your WiFi router to use a different "channel" on the 2.4 Ghz band, to avoid competing with others on your current channel.

0 Kudos

Thank-you for all the answers. I've had Shaw600 since it...

myklgrant
Grasshopper

Thank-you for all the answers. I've had Shaw600 since it started and bluecurve for several months. I've been working from home since mid-March. I am very tech-savvy. I've done everything you suggested and more, many many times. I've been on the phone and chatted with Shaw for hours. A service man will be coming out in a few days.

The problem is i live in downtown Edmonton and the network (at least my node) does not seem to have the capacity to supply me with what i pay for when i want it. I understand that all the covid stay-at-home  can cause drops in usable bandwidth. This is not that - 600 to 30 is not a drop due to heavy usage. I regularly see my upload rates got  to 0 which pretty much puts the pause on WFH until it comes back. I'm not complaining about that - Shaw has a network not really designed for uploading so i accept that. They however do have a network that should be able to supply the download rate i pay for just like they have for years until recently (it can carry multiple hd video streams). My guess is they have sold bluecurve and the required hi-bitrate internet to so many in my area that they cannot now supply it to everyone at the same time.

Go figure: just started getting my regular 660Mbps for the first time since Tuesday. Hurray! Wonder how long it will last.

Michael Grant

its still an RF signal. devices can still block or interf...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

its still an RF signal. devices can still block or interfere with the 5ghz. We also don't know how or were the OP is testing. I am sitting in my driveway in my car, Barely get a wifi signal but I can't get my 600

edit, don't know if the OP posted the same time I did but the SOLVED post was not there when I replied

0 Kudos

-- The problem is i live in downtown Edmonton In your loc...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@myklgrant -- The problem is i live in downtown Edmonton

In your location, is there any Shaw Go WiFi nodes that you can connect to?

The nodes on this network require a Shaw ID/password, but during COVID-19, Shaw has created an "open" WiFi network, named "ShawGo", that is available to everybody to use.

If you can connect, what speed do you get?

0 Kudos

nodes oversubscribing

darlan72
Grasshopper

We have the same issues in our neighbourhood, we complain about it in our Facebook group constantly, it has always be a normal of the industry to oversubscribe nodes, a few years back that work for them well and customers didn't noticed it much, your speed dropped but the weather page that took normally a couple seconds to load, took 4 seconds, no biggy. The problem is they are using the same approach in current times when almost everything is streaming, Zoom, netflix, disney+, Crave tv, amazon prime, now a drop in the speed affects more.

All internet providers know that they need to invest in more nodes and other hardware, right now I'm loosing internet every few minutes and returning later, it happens quite frequently and they always say, oh yes someone is working in the issue right now, the field crew is there, sometimes depending who you get on the phone or chat start blaming on your side but usually you get the one that tells you, yeah there are issues and we are working on them.

Will they invest money?, probably not, you and me will keep having low speeds at "rush hours", since none of them are doing it, we are **bleep**ed, other in the neighborhood use Telus, Bell, etc and are having the same issues, since we end using common nodes on the internet traffic.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help