Ping spikes and disconnects while gaming

Not applicable

Ever since the recent service upgrades in my area, I have been experiencing spikes of extreme latency and/or disconnects while gaming or accessing various internet services.

I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, but the one which leads me to believe there is an issue in the Shaw network is that when I switch to using a VPN service, the problems go away. I do not want to always be using a VPN, I'd like to be able to access these services and games using the normal Shaw network.

Perhaps there is an issue with the DNS and/or routing when going via Shaw's network?

What other details can I provide to help your network engineers track down the issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Ping spikes and disconnects while gaming

Not applicable

Specifically, any services or games that use Akamai Technologies as their CDN provider seem to be affected.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey drowland1976,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any reports of DNS or routing issues with any gaming servers with our connections. It may be a signal related issue or a certain set up you may have that is causing issues. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend trying the troubleshooting steps here. If you still notice the same problems, your best bet is to connect with our technical support team to further investigate/resolve this. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Internet keeps going down for me. I'd say every 15-20 minutes for about a minute at a time. It's been like this since before 4PM. Also can't play any games without disconnecting...

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey cerebralzombie,

There may be a service interruption in your area. Feel free to check out our service alerts and updates here. If there is no service interruption in your area, I'd recommend following some of the troubleshooting steps above to see if they help or touch base with technical support for further assistance. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help