Playstation 4 repeated connection drops

tkdragon
Grasshopper

Over the past few months, my daughter has tried to play online games through the PlayStation 4 (online multiplayer from a game title we purchased). She has repeatedly complained about connection issues when playing. The connection will stutter and eventually freeze and we receive a connection lost message. It has happened at all time of the day. She plays online with a friend in Germany and he has not had the same issue while playing the exact same game at the exact same time. This would suggest that it is not an issue with the game server but a local of ISP issue. I have had her run connection tests on the PS4 when the issue occurs and it is not showing any bad download or upload speeds which begs the question - what is happening here that is not happening elsewhere?

Location - Winnipeg area

Modem - DPC3825

PS4 is wired, not wireless

When I run Shaw Speedtest off my PC is is always showing download speeds of around 50 - 60 and upload speeds around 5 which are what they should be for my package.

Connection tests show DL speeds of around 38 and UL of 3 - 4.

Labels (1)
8 Replies

Re: Playstation 4 repeated connection drops

shaw-tony

Hey tkdragon,

Thank you for reaching out! No one likes to get disconnected from their favorite online games. There may be several reasons why you are noticing this issue. It may be a signal related issue that is causing an unstable connection. If you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend trying some troubleshooting steps here. If the issues continue, your best bet is to touch base with our technical support team members to further investigate with you.

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Re: Playstation 4 repeated connection drops

tkdragon
Grasshopper

Thanks for the response Tony.

As for the troubleshooting steps:

1. The modem has been reset while experiencing the issues - no effect.

2. Not applicable - PS4 is on a wired connection.

3. All cables verified OK with cable tester. Cables are seated correctly - only issue is current online game connection issue.

4. All drivers and such for PS4 is updated by Sony - do not know of an option to update network adapter manually. The upload and download speeds reported when testing the connection through the PS4 are sufficient for online play.

There does not appear to be an issue with the hardware in the house so my first step was to see if there was anyone else that has experienced this issue and if they had any suggestions on a solution. I'm paying for a stable internet connection and would expect it to handle something as simple as online game play and I am paying for the connection at Sony to access the game play... it would be nice to actually use this without issue.

Cheers.

0 Kudos

I am having similar issues with the PS4 as well. It is ha...

StrongarThanyew
Grasshopper

I am having similar issues with the PS4 as well. It is happening on 2 PS4's in our house, one wited, one wireless.

If playing multiplayer it will disconnect, more noticeable between loading screens.

If playing single player games, but the ps4 isn't the primary (for example game sharing), you get a pop up notification saying "Unable to verify (game) license, game will shut down in 15 minutes'. You can keep playing unhindered, it will just happen periodically while playing beung a minor annoyance. And before tech says its the wifi signal, this is one the wired console.

It is as if periodically the Shaw internet disonnects and reconnects every 20-40 minutes or so. It happens so fast that while streaming or on another device it goes by undetected. But this hiccup gets noticed by the PSN network (which is used for playing multiplayer, and licenses in the example of playing aingle player games bought from the PSN store digitally).

I am glad to hear I am not the only once experiencing this.....however saddened that in over a year there isn't a reply as to a fix.

I had Bell MTS for decades before this and as an avid gamer never once had an issue even remotely close to this.

0 Kudos

-- previously posted (January 2019) on this thread: If yo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@StrongarThanyew -- previously posted (January 2019) on this thread:

If you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend trying some troubleshooting steps here.

If the issues continue, your best bet is to touch base with our technical support team members to further investigate with you.

When you contacted Shaw, what was the result?

Have the same issue and also I stream and now I can’t str...

Yuniel
Grasshopper

Have the same issue and also I stream and now I can’t stream. How did u solve the problem?

0 Kudos

-- Have the same issue  I recommend that you read the pos...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Yuniel -- Have the same issue 

I recommend that you read the posting on this thread from ‎2020-07-13.

> How did you solve the problem?

It probably is NOT a problem with your computer, nor with the Ethernet cable between your computer and your Shaw modem, nor with the Shaw modem itself. Rather, it likely is a problem with signal-strength reaching the Shaw modem. Connect with Shaw Support, and get them to remotely logon to your Shaw modem, to check.

0 Kudos

Can the problem be I have my ps4 in the back room with th...

TheKG1
Grasshopper

Can the problem be I have my ps4 in the back room with the second Shaw device?

0 Kudos

-- what is your setup? A: Ethernet cable connecting your...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TheKG1 -- what is your setup?

A: Ethernet cable connecting your Shaw router and your PS4?

B: Ethernet cable into a wall-port, and more Ethernet cables inside your walls, eventually connecting to your Shaw router?

C: WiFi from your PS4 in the same room as your Shaw router?

D.: WiFi from your PS4 through a few walls to your Shaw router?

E: WiFi from your PS4 to a WiFi "repeater" in the same room as your PS4, and that repeater connects via WiFi to Shaw's router?

F: WiFi from your PS4 to a WiFi "repeater" in a different room from your PS4, and that repeater connects via WiFi to Shaw's router?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help