Poor performance, spotty connection

Pender_Island
Grasshopper

background: Being a recent resident I am stuck with a connection that is maximum 5 mbps. That's download. Upload it is, apparently 1 mbps. This makes backing up files online almost completely useless.

The connection breaks. Very frequently. 

The speed of the connection -- especially for 'newcomers' is limited as noted above. Longer term residents get a whole 30 mbs (I probably pay the same monthly rate as well).  Shaw staff have no word on when, or if, performance will be brought up to a 2001 level, let alone 2020. 30 mbps is a joke today. 5 mbps is simply a fraud.

Oh if only it were 5 mbps. 

Performance is worse than ever and unacceptable. Downloads = 0.4 mbps / uploads 0.2 mbps via shaw speed test while connecting to Telus' was actually an 'improvement' at (I kid not) 1.19 mbps with uploads roaring along at 0.41 mbps.

Shaw. You must improve service to the island. If you will not do so at least have the decency to inform your customers -- especially your newer ones -- that Shaw cannot and/or will not provide service. At least that would be honest.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

first how are you testing these speeds? wifi or wired, sp...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

first how are you testing these speeds? wifi or wired, speedtest, fast.com or other. what server are the speedtest connected to?

0 Kudos

-- I presume that both the Shaw and the Telus networks ru...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pender_Island -- I presume that both the Shaw and the Telus networks run from Vancouver Island to Salt Spring Island and then to your (North? South?) Pender Island location.

> Upload is 1 mbps

> Longer term residents get 30 mbps (download)

Those are very-low numbers, suggesting a very-congested network.

Maybe, for your V0N 2M2 Postal Code, look at XPLORERNET Internet services, instead of the "wires" used by TELUS and Shaw to reach you.

On Salt Spring Island, between Fulford Harbour and Ganges, there is a very-thick cable mounted on the telephone-poles, suggesting that somebody (probably TELUS) has a high-speed "backbone" on that part of the island.

-- There seems to be a Shaw Hot Spot WiFi access at/near...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pender_Island -- There seems to be a Shaw Hot Spot WiFi access at/near the west end of Razor Point Road -- maybe "Jo's Place", and two more access points -- near "Island House and Home", and the Post Office.

If you take your laptop there, try a Shaw SpeedTest, to see what speed you get at each access.

Tested both wireless (which far exceeds the Shaw connecti...

Pender_Island
Grasshopper

Tested both wireless (which far exceeds the Shaw connection and should make negligible difference unless the Shaw modem is completely useless) and wired (modestly better). Used Shaw speed test. Telus' version and Fast. All dismal, all reflecting speeds from the last millennium!

Yes, its looking like i will have. Not my preferred optio...

Pender_Island
Grasshopper

Yes, its looking like i will have. Not my preferred option. Mypreferred option would be Shaw gets its act together.  of course in other countries fast, affordable, unlimitedi ternet can be had through othermeans including cell networks. But Cdn telecoms communications have next to no competition and get away with substandard.

The much?

0 Kudos

I concur with your "breach of contract" level of service....

Shutterbug
Grasshopper

I concur with your "breach of contract" level of service. I experience the same abysmal speeds. People with a higher speed pay more but also get nowhere near 25 MBPS during peak times. I don't know the official Shaw position but the guy who does the installing just shrugs and says improving the bandwidth off the island isn't cost effective. There are other options depending on your location. Telus smarthub is one of them but can get expensive. Some islanders think Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet will soon be the best choice. Good luck!

--  in other countries fast, affordable, unlimited intern...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pender_Island --  in other countries fast, affordable, unlimited internet can be had through other means including cell networks.

By 2026, at least two companies each will have launched literally thousands of satellites above the earth, bringing "satellite wireless" to currently-underserved areas, like P.I.  

I pity the astronomers who will have to point their telescopes "around" such objects. 😞

I am one of the older customers on Mayne, theoretically (...

Trev4
Grasshopper

I am one of the older customers on Mayne, theoretically (but) rarely getting 25 mbs. At peak times, lucky to get 2 or 3. I started with Pender Cable 20 years ago, which was bought by Shaw. It was much better then. It is Fibre on Mayne,.probably Pender too. But the off island connection is via microwave, and that is the problem - it is over subscribed. It got so bad, a year back, I complained via CSTS (amazingly, they listened and forced Shaw to respond). That's how I got above info. I also complained that they have never communicated this constraint to their customers (don't think they have yet). And as of a year ago, there were no plans to improve the microwave or install a fibre line off island. So we're stuck. I heard Beacon microwave might be better, if you are in their field of vision.

Your absolutely correct on the history of PI cable.  The...

Mfdriscoll
Grasshopper

Your absolutely correct on the history of PI cable.  The original owners (old friends) connected to Mayne via a marine cable dragged across the channel by a fish boat in the dead of night.  Don’t know it that cable is still in use? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help