Port Forwarding on Bluecurve

Rawr
Grasshopper

On the Hitron modem, port forwarding had a section where you would put in the Public and Private ports.   Example, for device 192.168.0.12 on my old network, I had the private port 80 forwarded to public port 8080.   

On the new Gateway modem, it doesn't have the Public vs. Private under Port Forwarding, and it doesn't allow me to restrict this to the specific IP address.   I don't want to open up ports for every single device on my network.

Can someone tell me how I can accomplish this?   Do I use port triggering?    I'm asking for specific instructions.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
2 Replies

-- for device 192.168.0.12 on my old network, I had the p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rawr -- for device 192.168.0.12 on my old network, I had the private port 80 forwarded to public port 8080.   

I usually think of "forwarding" going the other way: when some computer on the Internet wants to connect to a port on a computer on my local network, I configure "forwarding", e.g., "all unsolicited traffic addressed to the router's (public) IP-address, trying to connect to port 8080, will be forwarded to port 80 on the (private) IP-address 192.168.0.12".

So, there needs to be only one "rule" per active port on your computer, e.g., 80 for HTTP, 22 for SSH,  21 for FTP, if those services are "bound" to those ports on your computer.

Without a "forwarding" rule for a specific port, the router would just "drop" all "unsolicited" connection-attempts to that port.

If you have more than one computer on your private network, and one of those computers has a service that you want to be Internet-accessible, you need one more "rule" inside your router.

So I have a web application I developed on a laptop that...

Rawr
Grasshopper

So I have a web application I developed on a laptop that I plug into an ethernet port on my modem.

My Hitron router port forwarding rule was one line and looked like this:

Application name:  My Web App  |  Public: 8080-8080  |  Private:  80:80  |  Protocol: TCP/UDP  |  Local IP Address:  192.168.0.12  |  

On my new Gateway router it doesn't have the Public/Private section.   Are you saying that I'd create two rules - one for port 80 and another rule for 8080 for that specific IP?   I tried that, and it didn't work.    I think the Hitron did the port translation from public to private, and this new gateway doesn't......

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help