Port Forwarding

drukes1234
Grasshopper

Hi, I was easily able to port forward a month ago by logging into my router at 10.0.0.1 but now that option is no longer available and has to be done via the BlueCurve app - I've tried to do it, however, the IP address I get is 10.0.0.172 - clearly that is wrong (the first port forward IP I received was  127.0.0.1. What am I doing wrong or how can this be fixed?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

-- the first port forward IP I received was  127.0.0.1 Th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@drukes1234 -- the first port forward IP I received was  127.0.0.1

That is the reserved "loopback" IP-address, present on every computer, when one service on a computer wants to interact with another service on the same computer. The network "stack" on the computer routes the packets, without sending any packets to the physical network adapter on the computer.

I think that you should do a pin-hole-reset on the BlueCurve, and start again from the beginning. This should be much easier & quicker than trying to identify and then undo the misconfiguration.

0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. My concern is if I reboot ev...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

Thank you for your response. My concern is if I reboot everything I will run into this same problem again and I currently have a port forward that I use and need for work so if this problem happened once again upon reset it would be quite bad. Are there any other things I can try?

0 Kudos

-- My concern is if I reboot everything I will run into t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@drukes1234 -- My concern is if I reboot everything I will run into this same problem again

So, you have two options:

1. do nothing, and continue "as is", because the glass is half-full,
  2. try something, in the hope that you can correct or avoid the problem, and fill the glass (maybe, with a nice beer?)

Skål !

0 Kudos

I was fearing this answer :). There is nothing else I can...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

I was fearing this answer :). There is nothing else I can try? It's a very big risk if my first port fwd doesn't continue to work.

0 Kudos

port forwarding features are available via the BlueCurve...

shaw-tony

@drukes1234 port forwarding features are available via the BlueCurve Home App/Web App. You can find more details here.

0 Kudos

Yes I did that but like I said it I need an IP address to...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

Yes I did that but like I said it I need an IP address to have my program connect to and the IP address it comes up with obviously is not correct - 10.0.0.172 cannot be right 

0 Kudos

-- 10.0.0.172 cannot be right  On the computer that you w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@drukes1234 -- 10.0.0.172 cannot be right 

On the computer that you want to be the "target" IP-address of the port-forwarding, enter the Windows command-line prompt:  IPCONFIG

to see the private IP-address of the computer. It probably is 10.0.0.172.

Port-forwarding "tunnels" a specific port, e.g., 80/HTTP, 25/FTP, 22/SSH, through the cable-modem, directly to the private IP-address of the computer that is expecting incoming traffic on that specific port-number.

Try it!

0 Kudos

Yes, but what is the 172.0.0.1 that I was given when I se...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

Yes, but what is the 172.0.0.1 that I was given when I set up port forwarding a couple of months ago and the one I use today, IE the one that actually works. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos

Never mind.

rstra
Grand Master

Never mind. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help