Jump to solution

Problems using MoCa adapters over existing coax in house

roboy
Grasshopper

Recently I started having issues with my devices connected via moca adapters situated around the house. They started to get DHCP offers in a subnet 192.168.0.x from some unknown Arrisgro device which I believe is somewhere upstream (outside of my house/infrastructure), with the DNS prefix vt.vc.app.prod.sod.shaw.ca. 

A bit of background on the setup, I have a MoCa filter installed at the POE on the coax from the street. I have a TM602G telephony modem, and Hitron CGNM-2250 internet modem/router, both obviously installed by Shaw.

Initially I believed the rogue DHCP offers were coming from the Hitron itself, but even after changing the subnet to a completely different private net, my devices continue to receive offers from this unknown Arrisgro device.

My guess is that using MoCa adapters probably wasn't a good idea in the first place due to the fact that the coax cable line is being actively used to serve my house cable TV/phone, but I was hoping that the MoCa filter would at least block the internet stream from leaking to and from the street.

Does anyone else use moca adapters? Am I overlooking something? Is there any alternative that isn't wifi mesh or powerline? Using MoCa adapters was my last hope of attempting to get stable internet in all parts of the house (short of installing cat6 drops all over, which isn't feasible atm).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Disconnect the cable line coming in to the house to see t...

rstra
Grand Master

Disconnect the cable line coming in to the house to see the dhcp server is still there, maybe the moca filter has failed. Also, try disconnecting the phone modem, I doubt it is the issue, but it is an Arris.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jump to solution

Disconnect the cable line coming in to the house to see t...

rstra
Grand Master

Disconnect the cable line coming in to the house to see the dhcp server is still there, maybe the moca filter has failed. Also, try disconnecting the phone modem, I doubt it is the issue, but it is an Arris.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tips. That helped me isolate the issue dow...

roboy
Grasshopper

Thanks for the tips. That helped me isolate the issue down to the weird Arris cable/DVR box that was handing out DHCP leases for whatever reason...Anyways, stuck a MoCa filter behind that box and everything is awesome now.

TALK TO US
We're here to help