Jump to solution

Puma 6 Chipset Defect

Pavs93
Grasshopper

Are any shaw customers aware of the puma 6 chipset defect that affects the hitron/cisco modems that Shaw sends out to customers (that don't have bluecurve modems)? I was just made aware of the class action lawsuit against intel for not fixing this chipset bug since 2017 and noticed that I have the Cisco DPC3848V modem that's on the list of affected modems. 

Tried talking to Shaw's support about receiving a bluecurve XB6 modem to alleviate this issue, but they still want $7 a month for something that is their issue. Is it just me or is that utterly ridiculous that I can't receive a new modem that doesn't run that chipset, free of charge? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- has the class-action lawsuit been settled? If not, it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pavs93 -- has the class-action lawsuit been settled? If not, it could be a long time for every affected person to register for the settlement, and for any money to be distributed to the participants. Also, if the lawsuit was filed in the USA, would only affected people in the USA be eligible for a pay-out?

Has your Internet usage been affected by the "issue" ?  I have not noticed any problems with my HITRON modem, but I have seen many "squeaky wheels" on this discussion forum who are lamenting their switch from the HITRON to the BlueCurve, and the issues that the switch has caused for them.  I will let you do a search on this forum for those discussions.

Are you on Shaw's two-year Value Plan?  Any brand-new customers of Shaw get the BlueCurve cable-modem, if they subscribe to anything faster than the "Fibre+ 150" plan, i.e., "Fibre+ 300" or faster. And, their monthly invoice shows a charge for the cable-modem *AND* a credit that offsets that charge, e.g., a net (pun intended) cost of ZERO/month for the "rental".

What do you think would happen if your HITRON were to completely "die" -- maybe because of a power-surge that "killed" it? Would Shaw use Canada Post to ship you another HITRON, or ship you a BlueCurve?  Would Shaw charge you any fee to replace that "dead" device, if they really wanted to keep you as a customer?

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a direct path to Shaw Support.

So, while reading this, scroll-down to see:

Capture.JPG

and click the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to send your feedback directly to Shaw.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jump to solution

-- has the class-action lawsuit been settled? If not, it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pavs93 -- has the class-action lawsuit been settled? If not, it could be a long time for every affected person to register for the settlement, and for any money to be distributed to the participants. Also, if the lawsuit was filed in the USA, would only affected people in the USA be eligible for a pay-out?

Has your Internet usage been affected by the "issue" ?  I have not noticed any problems with my HITRON modem, but I have seen many "squeaky wheels" on this discussion forum who are lamenting their switch from the HITRON to the BlueCurve, and the issues that the switch has caused for them.  I will let you do a search on this forum for those discussions.

Are you on Shaw's two-year Value Plan?  Any brand-new customers of Shaw get the BlueCurve cable-modem, if they subscribe to anything faster than the "Fibre+ 150" plan, i.e., "Fibre+ 300" or faster. And, their monthly invoice shows a charge for the cable-modem *AND* a credit that offsets that charge, e.g., a net (pun intended) cost of ZERO/month for the "rental".

What do you think would happen if your HITRON were to completely "die" -- maybe because of a power-surge that "killed" it? Would Shaw use Canada Post to ship you another HITRON, or ship you a BlueCurve?  Would Shaw charge you any fee to replace that "dead" device, if they really wanted to keep you as a customer?

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a direct path to Shaw Support.

So, while reading this, scroll-down to see:

Capture.JPG

and click the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to send your feedback directly to Shaw.

TALK TO US
We're here to help