Jump to solution

Remote Desktop Connection

Risk10
Grasshopper

After switching to Bluecurve and new modem my desktop connection from the remote computer (not in the local network) is not working. Before I connected my desktop from anywhere. The only change is a new modem. Is there any solution? I am using Windows Remote Desktop Connection App. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

--  I am not sure which port to use (I have used 8080)....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Risk10 --  I am not sure which port to use (I have used 8080).

If you are using the MIcrosoft "Remote Desktop", the default is for your computer (on the Internet) to connect to "3389/TCP" on the public IP-address of your new cable-modem. Of course, on the cable-modem, forward that port to the private IP-address of your computer, assuming that your computer is also defaulting to "listen" on "3389/TCP".  On your private computer, have you enabled any restriction on the range of IP-addresses that can connect using RDP? That is another security measure, so that any "public" IP-address from your "work" network is allowed to connect, but public IP-addresses of would-be "hackers" are not allowed to connect.

Nothing is changed.

Really?  The important question is "what has changed?"

> I do not have remote access to the desktop.

Something must have changed.

The same Error message is with three possible reasons. 

What is the exact message that is displayed?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jump to solution

--the only change ... After switching the BlueCurve, Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Risk10 --the only change ...

After switching the BlueCurve, Shaw gave you a different "public" IP-address. 

Access www.who.is -- this web-page will show the "public" IP-address that Shaw has assigned to the BlueCurve.

On the Internet, are you trying to connect to your target computer via the previous IP-address?

Also, the previous cable-modem may have been giving your target computer a "private" IP-address that is different from the "private" IP-address that the BlueCurve is now assigned to your target computer.

Have you defined "port-forwarding" from the BlueCurve to one of your new "private" IP-addresses?

OLD: Internet -> previous cable-modem [24.68.xxx.yyy] -> target computer [192.168.0.xxx]

NEW: Internet -> BlueCurve [70.66.aaa.bbb] -> target computer [10.0.0.ccc]

So, you must update the port-forwarding on the BlueCurve (or on the App for the BlueCurve), and you must try to connect to the "new" IP-address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am using a new public IP for the connection. I did "por...

Risk10
Grasshopper

I am using a new public IP for the connection. I did "port forwarding" on the App to the computer (local IP)). I am not sure which port to use (I have used 8080). Nothing is changed. I do not have remote access to the desktop. The same Error message is with three possible reasons. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I am not sure which port to use (I have used 8080)....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Risk10 --  I am not sure which port to use (I have used 8080).

If you are using the MIcrosoft "Remote Desktop", the default is for your computer (on the Internet) to connect to "3389/TCP" on the public IP-address of your new cable-modem. Of course, on the cable-modem, forward that port to the private IP-address of your computer, assuming that your computer is also defaulting to "listen" on "3389/TCP".  On your private computer, have you enabled any restriction on the range of IP-addresses that can connect using RDP? That is another security measure, so that any "public" IP-address from your "work" network is allowed to connect, but public IP-addresses of would-be "hackers" are not allowed to connect.

Nothing is changed.

Really?  The important question is "what has changed?"

> I do not have remote access to the desktop.

Something must have changed.

The same Error message is with three possible reasons. 

What is the exact message that is displayed?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation. Forwarding to 3389 port is wo...

Risk10
Grasshopper

Thanks for the explanation. Forwarding to 3389 port is working. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help