Remote Desktop Not Working on BlueCurve XB6

Brahima
Grasshopper

Hi,

I have recently moved from the Hitron modem to the Bluecurve xb6 modem/router. I can't remote connect any longer into a second PC i have in the house. This used to work fine on the Hitron. I have checked all other cases reported here and none seems to apply to my instance.

Has anyone here experienced the same issue after switching to the xb6 and have you been able to revolve it?

Let me know please.

Thank you,

B.

Labels (2)
10 Replies

-- let me know Since you have switched cable-modems, the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Brahima -- let me know

Since you have switched cable-modems, the "public" IP-address that Shaw assigns to your new cable-modem is not the same as the previous IP-address.  So, be sure that you are trying to connect to the "new" IP-address.

When using your home computer, use: https://whatismyipaddress.com

to find the "public" IP-address for your new cable-modem.

Second, the new cable-modem may have assigned a new IP-address to your "second computer".

Third, use the BlueCurve app for "port-forward" incoming RDP traffic on 3389/TCP to the new IP-address of your "second computer".

0 Kudos

, thanks for getting back to me. Yes i have checked the n...

Brahima
Grasshopper

@mdk , thanks for getting back to me.

Yes i have checked the newly assigned Ip@.

How do i setup a port forwarding for incoming RDP? I can't seem to find anything on the BlueCurve app.

When i clicked on port-forward it sends me to internet.shaw.ca to log into the web version then no setting shows  port-forward.

Maybe i am missing something? I am using the XB6 gateway.

0 Kudos

-- never mind, i found the port forwarding thing and did...

Brahima
Grasshopper

@mdk  -- never mind, i found the port forwarding thing and did just that.

I am still not able to connect. I did port 3389 on TCP.

Not sure if i mentioned this before but i also can't ping the second computer. I think something is blocked somewhere but i can't figure out what.

Any other pointer will be much appreciated.

The error message i get when trying to remote connect reads like this:

Remote desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1) remote access to the server is not enabled (i have already checked this)

2) the remote computer is turned off (also checked)

3) the remote computer is not available on the network (i am using the IP@ so technically it should go through?)

0 Kudos

-- I can't ping the second computer. You should be able t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Brahima -- I can't ping the second computer.

You should be able to PING the "public" IP-address of your cable-modem.

If your "second computer" has an IP-address starting with "192.168" or "10.0.0", those are two ranges of IP-addresses that are NEVER routed across the Internet.  Any "PING" packet targeted to an IP-address in that range will not be carried over the Internet, and thus will not reach your cable-modem. The two ranges are reserved for "private" networks, such as all the computers/devices within your home.

Yes, any RDP (3389/TCP) packets should be routed to the "public" IP-address of your cable-modem, and then should be "forwarded" to that port (3389/TCP) on the "private" IP-address of your "second computer".

OR:   4) you have the wrong IP-address for your new cable-modem.

0 Kudos

thanks for getting back to me. I may have not been clear...

Brahima
Grasshopper

@mdk  thanks for getting back to me. I may have not been clear in my original post. Both computers are on my home network using the IP range 10.0.0.xxx assigned by the DHCP on the modem/gateway.

1 computer is in my bedroom (upstairs) and the second computer is in the basement. So i am just trying to rdp to the second computer from within the same home network. Not going or wanting to go over the internet.

What i am pointing out is that even with both computers using assigned IP@ within the 10.0.0.xxx range and having the same default gateway, I still can't ping nor can I remote connect. I was able to do this with the old modem.

I don't know what they have changed in the new modem but something is blocked for sure.

Based on the above clarification, are you suggesting that i create a port forward 3389/TCP to the second computer IP@? (this is what i did based on your previous advise) or did i get that wrong?

Sorry i did not get the first portion of your suggestion stating that "RDP (3389/TCP) packets should be routed to the "public" IP-address of your cable-modem", not sure if you mean i need to create an entry there or if this is automatically done by the gateway for internet traffic,

0 Kudos

--  even with both computers using assigned IP@ within th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Brahima --  even with both computers using assigned IP@ within the 10.0.0.xxx range and having the same default gateway, I still can't ping nor can I remote connect. I was able to do this with the old modem.

That is weird. I can PING any of the computers connected (wired or wireless) to my HITRON cable-modem.

> something is blocked for sure.

Can you logon to the XB6?  Does it have the capability to run PING from that device to either of your computers? Does it work?

From your computers, can you PING the "gateway" IP-address?

> Based on the above clarification, are you suggesting that i create a port forward 3389/TCP to the second computer IP@?

I was assuming that you wanted to RDP from somewhere on the Internet, not from "inside" your local network. There is no need to port-forward with the cable-modem, given your configuration.

> is this automatically done by the gateway for internet traffic.

No. By default, all of your local computers are not accessible from the Internet.

Are you using some "Internet Security" package, namely an antivirus and a firewall bundled together, such as the McAfee software that is available for free for all Shaw customers?  It could be blocking the PING traffic.

0 Kudos

I have been banging my head against the wall since last w...

Brahima
Grasshopper

@mdk I have been banging my head against the wall since last week 😊 Everything used to work fine with my Hitron modem but not with this bluecruve one (XB6). From each computer i can definitively ping the gateway (XB6). But none of the computers can ping each other! That's where i get lost. I even edited the hosts file to add the IP@ still nothing.

I contacted Shaw technical support few days ago and they sent me packing 😫. Not supported go sort yourself out!

No the XB6 does not have a ping diagnostic tool. It has a trace route tool which fails for IPv4 test.

When i check the arp table (arp -a)  both computers show up for the gateway. I have no clues what's happ with this device.

I did not see any antivirus on the device

0 Kudos

I wonder if your Windows network profile changed when the...

rstra
Grand Master

@Brahima I wonder if your Windows network profile changed when the XB6 was installed? Maybe your profile is set to public?

0 Kudos

-- I did not see any antivirus on the device There probab...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Brahima -- I did not see any antivirus on the device

There probably is no anti-virus software on the BlueCurve -- it does not assemble incoming packets (often encrypted) to construct a file, and then virus-scan that constructed file.

What anti-virus and/or firewall do you have running on your own computers?

Just the built-in Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall, or some "Internet Security" bundle ?

> traceroute fails

In what way? Fails to reach your computers, via "time-out" results?

Are you familiar with: BlueCurve Network Security Overview (shaw.ca)

It offers "Advanced Network Security". Do you subscribe to that?

Do you have your own Ethernet router, collecting dust?  If you connect the Ethernet cables from both computers to that router, instead of to the BlueCurve, and reboot both computers (to get a new IP-address), can you PING and/or RDP ?

You might reconfigure that router to use the "10.0.0.xxx" range of dynamic IP-addresses, instead of the default "192.168.xx.yy" range, to simulate the range of dynamic IP-addresses that the BlueCurve hands-out? Reboot both computers, to let them obtain "10.0.0.xxx" IP-addresses.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help