Jump to solution

Repeated "Internet connected" every 30 minutes.

srglassw
Grasshopper

My Internet service was out yesterday morning for maybe half an hour and since then I am getting repeated "Internet Connected" and "Time synchronized" messages on my router every 30 minutes or so. A sample of the message is as follows:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Nov 29,2019 09:34:30
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.10, Friday, Nov 29,2019 09:34:30
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Nov 29,2019 09:04:30
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.10, Friday, Nov 29,2019 09:04:29
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Nov 29,2019 08:34:30
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.10, Friday, Nov 29,2019 08:34:30
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Nov 29,2019 08:04:30
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.10, Friday, Nov 29,2019 08:04:29

Any idea why this is happening and where the ip address 192.168.0.10 is coming from? My router's DHCP Server range starts at 192.168.0.101 and I have nothing set up to use 192.168.0.10.

I do have an order in for Internet and TV service upgrade to BlueCurve ValuePlan promotion. Could preparations for that have anything to do with this issue?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> This all must be related to the Shaw upgrade to my serv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> This all must be related to the Shaw upgrade to my service that is in progress.

Absolutely correct. 

> Why is the lease time 1 hour now instead of 1 day ?

The "lease" gives you an IP-address (24.69.xxx.yyy) on the Shaw network, and it gives you a "TTL" ("Time-To-Live") which is the length of time that you can use the leased item (the IP-address). When you lease a hotel-room, your TTL is a few days.  When you lease an automobile, the TTL is a few years.

During your "transition" period (old hardware to new hardware), the TTL has been adjusted (by Shaw) to be just 60 minutes.  So, while the TTL is only 60 minutes, when you disconnect the old hardware, and connect the new hardware, you'll get a new lease within 60 minutes, After that transition is completed, Shaw will reset the TTL to 1 day.

> why is the Internet IP address in the router now not the modems IP?

I am not sure as to which hardware you are examining, and whether you are examining the "up-link" port (which will have a "24.69.xxx.yyy" IP-address, or the "gateway" IP-address. 

Compare talking to a person in the same room in your home -- where you talk face-to-face -- to needing to talk via  some "gateway" (e.g., telephone or Skype) -- to a person NOT in the same room/house/city/country/continent. 

Similarly, when you want to print from your computer to a printer on your home network, the two devices "talk" directly to each other, not needing to be going through your "gateway", but when you want to fetch a Microsoft web-page, your computer routes your request to your "gateway" (192.168.0.xxx), and the gateway routes your request into the Shaw network, and a router on the Shaw network routes your request into a router on the Microsoft network, for delivery to Microsoft's web-server, to fulfill your request.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jump to solution

> where the ip address 192.168.0.10 is coming from?  If y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> where the ip address 192.168.0.10 is coming from? 

If your router is recording that IP-address, that IP-address must be "somewhere" on your home network.

If you PING that IP-address, does it respond?

Try the command-line:  nbtstat -A 192.168.0.10

to see if any information is displayed.

Within your router's web-interface, can you list the "active TCP connections" ?

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding to my post. Below are answers to yo...

srglassw
Grasshopper

Thanks for responding to my post. Below are answers to your questions.

> where the ip address 192.168.0.10 is coming from? 

>> If your router is recording that IP-address, that IP-address must be "somewhere" on your home network.

The address 192.168.0.10 shows as the router Internet Port IP address on the router's Advanced home screen of the router config. This is a Netgear R7000 router. 

> If you PING that IP-address, does it respond?

Yes, it does respond to pinging 192.168.0.10

> Try the command-line:  nbtstat -A 192.168.0.10 to see if any information is displayed.

The following information is displayed.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.476]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.10

NETGEAR-VPN:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Wi-Fi:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.45] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
ASUS_NOTEBOOK <20> UNIQUE Registered
ASUS_NOTEBOOK <00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = B8-EE-65-68-9C-34

Local Area Connection* 2:

Host not found.

Local Area Connection* 12:

Host not found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

> Within your router's web-interface, can you list the "active TCP connections" ?

I'm not sure if this is the information that you asked for... it is the router's list of connected devices.

Attached Devices

Status   Connection Type              Device Name                                     IP Address          MAC Address

Allowed               Wired                    Rear                                       192.168.1.3         E8:AB:FA:0B:77:4E

Allowed               Wired                    MYBOOKLIVE1                  192.168.1.4         00:90:A9:B5:EA:B4

Allowed               2.4G Wireless    Front                                     192.168.1.6         E8:AB:FA:9D:C0:B5

Allowed               Wired                    --                                             192.168.1.8         00:62:6E:45:9A:57

Allowed               Wired                    HP_Pavilion23                   192.168.1.9         70:54:D2:7F:3C:B9

Allowed               Wired                    BRN001BA954ECEE          192.168.1.12       00:1B:A9:54:EC:EE

Allowed               2.4G Wireless    FrontEntrance                   192.168.1.16       E8:AB:FA:73:29:5B

Allowed               2.4G Wireless    Asus_Notebook WiFi     192.168.1.45       B8:EE:65:68:9C:34

Allowed               Wired                    MINIX-Z83-4                      192.168.1.89       A0:1E:0B:09:E7:1E

Allowed               Wired                    Sony KD-60X690E             192.168.1.99       70:26:05:03:88:99

Allowed               Wired                    Access Point                       192.168.1.100     E8:FC:AF:A3:B2:60

Allowed               Wired                    Roku 3                                  192.168.1.102     08:05:81:01:F7:9D

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Looking back at the router logs previous to the outage ye...

srglassw
Grasshopper

Looking back at the router logs previous to the outage yesterday, the Internet connection and Time synchronization entries appeared only once per day. The log entry looked like this:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Nov 26,2019 21:20:39

[Internet connected] IP address: 24.69.76.133, Tuesday, Nov 26,2019 21:20:38

I note that the IP address is the modem's IP and not a router IP. The modem IP has changed in conjunction with the every 30 minute log entries and on the router the Internet port Connection status shows a 1 hour lease, which I believe results in a 30 minute lease renewal (something about lease renewal happens within first half of lease period). This all must be related to the Shaw upgrade to my service that is in progress.

So my question to Shaw now is why is the lease time 1 hour now instead of 1 day and why is the Internet IP address in the router now not the modems IP?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> This all must be related to the Shaw upgrade to my serv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> This all must be related to the Shaw upgrade to my service that is in progress.

Absolutely correct. 

> Why is the lease time 1 hour now instead of 1 day ?

The "lease" gives you an IP-address (24.69.xxx.yyy) on the Shaw network, and it gives you a "TTL" ("Time-To-Live") which is the length of time that you can use the leased item (the IP-address). When you lease a hotel-room, your TTL is a few days.  When you lease an automobile, the TTL is a few years.

During your "transition" period (old hardware to new hardware), the TTL has been adjusted (by Shaw) to be just 60 minutes.  So, while the TTL is only 60 minutes, when you disconnect the old hardware, and connect the new hardware, you'll get a new lease within 60 minutes, After that transition is completed, Shaw will reset the TTL to 1 day.

> why is the Internet IP address in the router now not the modems IP?

I am not sure as to which hardware you are examining, and whether you are examining the "up-link" port (which will have a "24.69.xxx.yyy" IP-address, or the "gateway" IP-address. 

Compare talking to a person in the same room in your home -- where you talk face-to-face -- to needing to talk via  some "gateway" (e.g., telephone or Skype) -- to a person NOT in the same room/house/city/country/continent. 

Similarly, when you want to print from your computer to a printer on your home network, the two devices "talk" directly to each other, not needing to be going through your "gateway", but when you want to fetch a Microsoft web-page, your computer routes your request to your "gateway" (192.168.0.xxx), and the gateway routes your request into the Shaw network, and a router on the Shaw network routes your request into a router on the Microsoft network, for delivery to Microsoft's web-server, to fulfill your request.

TALK TO US
We're here to help