Jump to solution

scam calls

kentuckykid
Grasshopper

I am being harrassed by calls from shaw's telephone number [1-888-444-5308].

The voice mail they repeatedly leave, only minutes apart, claim they will shut down my service in two days due to non payment of bills [false]. 

I always pay online, and have printed verification receipts for all. 

If this really is Shaw, then you have just lost a customer. 

If it is a scam, tell me how to end it. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-5308, I do not get any pertinent results, i.e., this number does not appear on any Shaw web-pages.  But, when I called it, just after midnight Pacific, the automated voice-response suggested that it is a valid Shaw number.  But, the answering system did not give me the "usual" prompts-- press "1" for service in English -- nor any secondary choice -- press 2 for Shaw Direct.  Weird.

So, I think that whoever called you has "spoofed" Shaw's telephone-number. What did the rest of the message say? Was it something like "buy a gift card, and tell us the ID/password that is on the card" ?

If you login to the My Shaw portal, you will immediately see your account-balance, if any.

Since it is a number assigned to Shaw, and it is a "1-888" number, Shaw's "call-blocking" feature cannot be used to block any "888" number.

Maybe, your telephone can assign a different ring-tone to this number?  Then, when called, you will hear that ring-tone, and you will know to not answer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jump to solution

I guess you will find out in a couple of days.

rstra
Grand Master

I guess you will find out in a couple of days. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I guess you need to fire your joke-writer for gross incom...

kentuckykid
Grasshopper

I guess you need to fire your joke-writer for gross incompetence. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-5308, I do not get any pertinent results, i.e., this number does not appear on any Shaw web-pages.  But, when I called it, just after midnight Pacific, the automated voice-response suggested that it is a valid Shaw number.  But, the answering system did not give me the "usual" prompts-- press "1" for service in English -- nor any secondary choice -- press 2 for Shaw Direct.  Weird.

So, I think that whoever called you has "spoofed" Shaw's telephone-number. What did the rest of the message say? Was it something like "buy a gift card, and tell us the ID/password that is on the card" ?

If you login to the My Shaw portal, you will immediately see your account-balance, if any.

Since it is a number assigned to Shaw, and it is a "1-888" number, Shaw's "call-blocking" feature cannot be used to block any "888" number.

Maybe, your telephone can assign a different ring-tone to this number?  Then, when called, you will hear that ring-tone, and you will know to not answer.

Jump to solution

It is 100% a scam.  I just got an email saying the same t...

Tcoastergirl
Grasshopper

It is 100% a scam.  I just got an email saying the same thing (giving that phone number in the email too).  That I have an outstanding balance (I don't).  It gave an amount that didn't match any of my bills with Shaw.  I logged into my account (not using the link in the email) and everything is paid and current.  When I hover on the email name that comes up is admin-songokulan-de@getresponse-mail.com; (so not Shaw at all).

Best thing you can do is block the phone number so they can't get through.  They'll eventually change the calling number so you have to block that number too when it happens.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Best thing you can do is block the phone number  Shaw'...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tcoastergirl -- Best thing you can do is block the phone number 

Shaw's call-blocking service (for your land-line, dial <star><six><zero>) does not allow the blocking of 800/888/877/866/855/844/833 toll-free numbers.

Maybe, the base-unit for your home-phone allows such blocking.

Maybe, your mobile-phone will allow such blocking.

Can you change the "ring-tone" for that number, to provide an audio "hint" that the number is calling you?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help