Highlighted
Jump to solution

scam calls

Grasshopper

I am being harrassed by calls from shaw's telephone number [1-888-444-5308].

The voice mail they repeatedly leave, only minutes apart, claim they will shut down my service in two days due to non payment of bills [false]. 

I always pay online, and have printed verification receipts for all. 

If this really is Shaw, then you have just lost a customer. 

If it is a scam, tell me how to end it. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Jump to solution

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-...

Master

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-5308, I do not get any pertinent results, i.e., this number does not appear on any Shaw web-pages.  But, when I called it, just after midnight Pacific, the automated voice-response suggested that it is a valid Shaw number.  But, the answering system did not give me the "usual" prompts-- press "1" for service in English -- nor any secondary choice -- press 2 for Shaw Direct.  Weird.

So, I think that whoever called you has "spoofed" Shaw's telephone-number. What did the rest of the message say? Was it something like "buy a gift card, and tell us the ID/password that is on the card" ?

If you login to the My Shaw portal, you will immediately see your account-balance, if any.

Since it is a number assigned to Shaw, and it is a "1-888" number, Shaw's "call-blocking" feature cannot be used to block any "888" number.

Maybe, your telephone can assign a different ring-tone to this number?  Then, when called, you will hear that ring-tone, and you will know to not answer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Jump to solution

I guess you will find out in a couple of days.

Grasshopper

I guess you will find out in a couple of days. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jump to solution

I guess you need to fire your joke-writer for gross incom...

Grasshopper

I guess you need to fire your joke-writer for gross incompetence. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jump to solution

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-...

Master

When I do a Google-search (or a Bing-search) for 888-444-5308, I do not get any pertinent results, i.e., this number does not appear on any Shaw web-pages.  But, when I called it, just after midnight Pacific, the automated voice-response suggested that it is a valid Shaw number.  But, the answering system did not give me the "usual" prompts-- press "1" for service in English -- nor any secondary choice -- press 2 for Shaw Direct.  Weird.

So, I think that whoever called you has "spoofed" Shaw's telephone-number. What did the rest of the message say? Was it something like "buy a gift card, and tell us the ID/password that is on the card" ?

If you login to the My Shaw portal, you will immediately see your account-balance, if any.

Since it is a number assigned to Shaw, and it is a "1-888" number, Shaw's "call-blocking" feature cannot be used to block any "888" number.

Maybe, your telephone can assign a different ring-tone to this number?  Then, when called, you will hear that ring-tone, and you will know to not answer.

View solution in original post

TALK TO US
Need more help?