Shaw and Motorola moca adaptors

ThisIsJimmy
Grasshopper

Hello All,

Question for the community. I was recently given two Motorola MM1000’s MOCA adaptors. I have a Shaw Gateaway XB6 modem, currently bridged to a router. The Modem and Router are upstairs; my intent is to try to bring ethernet downstairs. Is there any way to make this setup work with Shaw? I have messed around with it a bit, without success. Basically attaching one MOCA adaptor to the modem upstairs and the other downstairs using a splitter on the coax cable line, no joy there. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

You would connect the MOCA adapter to a port on your rout...

rstra
Grand Master

You would connect the MOCA adapter to a port on your router, and then coax down to the other adapter. 

0 Kudos

Hi rstra, thank you for taking the time. So how i had it...

ThisIsJimmy
Grasshopper

Hi rstra, thank you for taking the time. So how i had it set up. In used a splitter on the coax line coming into the office with my modem. One coax cable went to the moca box, the other to my modem. Using a ethernet cable i connect a port from my router to the moca box. Downstairs i connected the second moca box via the coax cable coming out of the wall and a ethernet cable from that device to a tv. No connection can be found 

0 Kudos

The cable coming out of the wall downstairs has to be con...

rstra
Grand Master

The cable coming out of the wall downstairs has to be connected to the cable coming out of the MOCA filter upstairs and be part of the coax network. The coax cables from different rooms need to be connected to the splitter in the office, the splitter also needs to be able to pass 1125-1675 MHz, you can check the frequency on the splitter. If it is a Shaw splitter, it should be able to handle it.

Someone else on here has set up a MOCA network, maybe they will chime in. It is difficult to describe how to set it up on a forum.

0 Kudos

For sure. I understand its difficult to show without actu...

ThisIsJimmy
Grasshopper

For sure. I understand its difficult to show without actually being able to see what youre showing. I wonder if the issue lies with the setup in the storage room where the outside cable comes in.

Currently the outside cable goes into a 2 way splitter,  that splitter has one black cable that goes off somewhere and a white cable that goes to a second 2 way splitter,  attached with a moca filter. The second 2 way splitter has one cable running to a shaw pvr box and another line running to a 4 way splitter. I assume the 4 attachments on the 4 way splitter are going to separate rooms throughout the house.

Or it might be a setting somewhere,  who knows. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos

-- as I understand your writing, you have: feed from outs...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ThisIsJimmy -- as I understand your writing, you have:

feed from outside -> first splitter -> white coaxial-cable -> MOCA filter -> second splitter -> bridged XB6 -> Ethernet cable -> your router

and second splitter -> coaxial-cable -> four-way splitter -> coaxial-cables to 4 rooms.

Does it make any difference when you move the XB6 (and your router) into one of the 4 rooms, and coaxially-connect the XB6 there, and also remove the second splitter, such that you get: white cable -> MOCA filter -> four-way splitter ? 

Then, in the room with the XB6 and your router, use your 1-to-2 coaxial-splitter. One coaxial-cable goes to the XB6, and the other coaxial-cable goes to one of the MM1000 units. Connect one Ethernet port on the router to the MM1000 unit. In one of the other 3 rooms, connect the other MM100 unit to the coaxial wall-plate, and an Ethernet cable from the MM1000 to a computer. 

The MOCA signals from the room with the XB6 go back (via the router and the MM1000) into the 4-port splitter, and out of that splitter to the other room, where the second MM1000 provides wired Ethernet in that room.

P.S. Does that "black" coaxial-cable go into a Shaw Phone adapter?  Or where?

It would be a lot of running-around your home, to connect either a TV or the XB6 to each coaxial wall-plate, and power them on, and then return to your "wiring closet", select & disconnect one coaxial-cable, and then return to each room, to see which device no longer has any signal. At least you will learn which cable goes where.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help