sorry I would have responded earlier but my internet drop...

Al7
Grasshopper

sorry I would have responded earlier but my internet dropped about 2 minutes after my last reply. I was hoping it would reconnect before I went to bed at 8:00 PM but no luck. Now I'm up hoping to get some work done before it disconnects again. 

The problem goes much deeper than the modem or cable. I should have mentioned in my first post that the exact same problem exists with several of my immediate neighbors as well as some others in our local community. The internet disconnects from us all at about the same time and resumes at about the same time. A technician was out yesterday morning working on it with another customer swapped modems, cables and splitters. It didn't fix the issue and the problem persists. He has no idea what is causing the problem and had to bump it up to tech experts with Shaw.

A friend of mine who worked advanced IT with a telecom company for 25 years tried to explain it to me. He was emphatic when he said it wasn't a modem or cable issue. It had to do with a company or organization hijacking (can't remember the term he used) a block of IP addresses of which ours fall into. He suggested telemarketers or the like, because it fit the pattern of bumping everyone of us at the same time everyday and resuming at the same time (or nearly) everyday. The hours we are down fit the telemarketers work pattern to a "T" he said..

In any event, a tech will be by tomorrow and I'll install a new modem, cable and splitter and I guarantee you that it won't make a bit of difference. I will let you know the outcome.

0 Kudos

Seems a little far-fetched. Anyway, if it involves your n...

rstra
Grand Master

Seems a little far-fetched. Anyway, if it involves your neighbors, then it could be an issue with the node. He should check to see if others are going off at the same time. 

It is odd that you can’t log in to your modem, that is why I was thinking it was faulty. 

Yes, that's what I indicated in my previous post. Others...

Al7
Grasshopper

Yes, that's what I indicated in my previous post. Others are going off at the same time every morning and coming back at the same time in the late afternoon/early evening. What I find far-fetched is that at least a dozen households, some of which have had Blue Curve for 6 or more months all have faulty modems, cables and splitters, all at the same time and Shaw can't figure out what the problem is. I mean how can all of these modems all go belly up at the same time? This all began last Friday, April 10 for those that I am personally aware of. There may be others. My livelyhood depends on a reliable, uninterrupted internet service and for the amount that I have to pay annually I expect as much.

0 Kudos

> the exact same problem exists with several of my immedi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the exact same problem exists with several of my immediate neighbors as well as some others in our local community.

> The internet disconnects from us all at about the same time and resumes at about the same time.

That is important information. Compare to having a huge sink-hole at the intersection of your residential street with the next street -- you & all your neighbours on the same block will have the same problem -- no access to other streets, until the problem is resolved -- not in front of your house, but at the "point-of-failure" -- the sink-hole.

> A technician was out yesterday morning working on it with another customer swapped modems, cables and splitters. It didn't fix the issue and the problem persists.

Correct. If the sink-hole is not in your driveway, nothing can be done on your property.

> He has no idea what is causing the problem

That is honest for him to admit that his training is limited to "inside-your-home" trouble-shooting & repairs.

> [he] had to bump it up to tech experts with Shaw.

That is correct training in action -- since he could not solve the problem, he has been trained to "escalate" the issue to the "second-level" Shaw technicians.  Good for him. Note that there is a limited supply of Shaw technicians, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but that they do prioritize "no service at all" service-calls.

Have you checked the Shaw Outages page, for service updates at your location?

> My livelihood depends on a reliable, uninterrupted internet service, and for the amount that I have to pay annually I expect as much.

My sanity, with school-age children not currently attending school, depends on a reliable, uninterrupted Internet service.  Welcome to the club. 🙂

The amount that I pay, per month, per year, per decade, or per my lifetime, matches my expectations -- less than $4/day (taxes included) for "Internet 300". I'm not ready to "cut the cord", and the daily cost from the competitor (Tell Us or X-Plorer Net) would not be significantly different.  C'est la vie!

Since your livelihood depends on Internet access, can you deduct your payments to Shaw as a "business expense" ?

0 Kudos

> A friend of mine who worked advanced IT with a telecom...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> A friend of mine who worked advanced IT with a telecom company for 25 years tried to explain it to me.

> He was emphatic when he said it wasn't a modem or cable issue.

Since it also hits all your neighbours, it is not the coaxial-cables between the telephone-pole and the demarcation box on the outside of your house, and not the coaxial-cables inside the walls of your house.

It could be the coaxial cables that run from one telephone-pole to the next telephone-pole.

It could be a "concentrator" device.  Look at the telephone-pole, and you should see multiple coaxial-cables connecting into one box, with one cable going "out" from the device. That one cable does not run for many kilometers to the Shaw Network Centre somewhere else in your town/city. Instead, that cable connects to another "concentrator" device. Compare to the top-most branch of a tree -- the branch connects to a larger branch, and the larger branch connects to the trunk of the tree. Your house is that top-most branch, and the Shaw Centre is at the base of the trunk of the tree.  If that top-most branch is not getting nutrition from the roots below the trunk, the "problem" could be in the larger branch, or in the trunk, or the connections to the tree's root. Prune off the "dead" branch(es) of the tree. Grafting on a different branch to replace the dead top-most branch won't fix the problem of not getting nutrition from the roots to this tip.

> It had to do with a company or organization hijacking (can't remember the term he used) a block of IP addresses of which ours fall into. He suggested telemarketers or the like, because it fit the pattern of bumping everyone of us at the same time everyday and resuming at the same time (or nearly) everyday. The hours we are down fit the telemarketers work pattern to a "T" he said..

I find this very doubtful that telemarketers could re-program the routers on the Internet, to direct IP-traffic to a different location. The Internet would fall apart if an unauthorized person could change the "routing tables" inside the routers. In World War II, it was a trick to change the rural street-signs in France, to point in the wrong direction, to confuse the enemy.

There are too many security-features on the Internet to prevent such "hijacking" of the routing-tables inside the routers.

Note that "routing-tables" are inside every router on the Internet. So, if you wanted to reroute some packets, every router on the Internet would have to be reconfigured, to "send that IP-packet that way into the telemarketer's network", instead of "send the IP-packet to the correct way to your computer".

Also, routing tables are essential to the "robustness" of the Internet, by assigning a "metric" to each route.

For example, the table would say "route all traffic from Seattle to San Diego through the router in Los Angeles, unless that route is down. In that case, route the traffic from Seattle to Chicago to Las Vegas, and let that router forward the traffic to Los Angeles, for forwarding to San Diego".  Any unauthorized changes to those routing-tables could totally disable Internet connectivity, throughout the whole world.

0 Kudos

> Others are going off at the same time every morning and...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Others are going off at the same time every morning and coming back at the same time in the late afternoon/early evening. 

My guess is some of Shaw's infrastructure (up the telephone poles) is not handling the range of daily temperatures in this season (Spring) -- around zero overnight, and up to 15 Celsius during the day.

To trouble-shoot and repair this problem is a job for a Shaw technician, with a truck with a "cherry-picker" lift to get "up-close" to the hardware.

0 Kudos

I have the same issue since switching to Fibre+ Gig from...

outs_der
Grasshopper

I have the same issue since switching to Fibre+ Gig from  the +600 they had before. Internet just drops and the modem still shows the internet as being active, white light and also shows this when connecting to the modem, just can't connect to the Internet.

After 5-10 minutes the internet will just randomly start working or the modem will reboot itself and start working.  Rebooting the modem multiple times is sometimes needed. Is really frustrating and making me want to cancel from shaw.

Already had 2 techs come out. One replaced the modem and then checked all lines outside or so they said and disconnected every other outlet. Second tech just told me I had a short in the line from the wall to the modem, not sure how he knew since he wouldn't step inside. Had issues within 5 minutes of switching the cable 

I've changed coaxial cables, internet cables, changed my router, Bypassed my router, plugged modem directly into wall. Nothing fixes the issue. It just keeps dropping randomly. At least 60 times in this last week alone.

0 Kudos

-- Second tech just told me I had a short in the line fro...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@outs_der -- Second tech just told me I had a short in the line from the wall to the modem, not sure how he knew since he wouldn't step inside.

Shaw's cables are "two-way". You can receive TV channels. You can send Shaw On Demand and PPV requests.

So, the technician was able to send a signal (from his location at Shaw's "demarcation box" outside of your home), but he did not receive a reply through this "loop". Therefore, something is wrong -- either the cable inside your walls between that "demarc" box and your wall-outlet, or the visible cable between the wall-outlet and the cable-modem. Maybe, his equipment was sensitive-enough to determine that the "hidden" cable, to the wall-outlet, was OK, and that the fault lies between the wall-outlet and the cable-modem.

If you have a long electrical extension cord:

1. power-off the cable-modem,
  2. disconnect its power-cord from the wall-outlet,
  3. plug an ordinary wall-lamp into the vacated outlet, and turn it on,
  4. find the circuit-breaker in your breaker-box that powers that wall-outlet,
  5. flip that breaker to the "open" position, to cut power to that wall-outlet,
  6. confirm that the wall-lamp is not lit,
  7. use that electrical cord to connect the power from a still-working electrical outlet elsewhere in your home to the cable-modem's power-cord,
  8. let the cable-modem fully restart,
  9. use the Internet, to see if you still get "random" disconnects.

This is a long-shot, but not difficult nor time-consuming to try, and easy to "undo".

0 Kudos

Not sure how he would know there is a short in the line,...

rstra
Grand Master

Not sure how he would know there is a short in the line, would need to get his meter on the outlet, maybe it was just an assumption. If you have tried the other cables outlets in the house, I would get Shaw to focus on the drop, did the technician change connectors at the side of the house and tap (up the pole or at the pedestal)?

0 Kudos

- Not sure how he would know there is a short in the line...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra - Not sure how he would know there is a short in the line, would need to get his meter on the outlet

If the computer provided equipment (CPE) is still connected to the coaxial cable, that should close the "loop" (demarc to CPE back to demarc) for "testing" purposes. Possible?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help