My biggest beef with this whole thing is that Shaw has fo...

Willetts
Grasshopper

My biggest beef with this whole thing is that Shaw has forced this option on us, the setting should still be there for us to use if we want but by default leave it off? I don't pay for internet so my ISP can disable WiFi bands so my devices cant use the internet I'm paying for!

If I wanted to have things forced on me by my ISP i'd go to Telus!

0 Kudos

Shaw decision to drop an archaic communication protocol i...

rickatk
Master

@Willetts  wrote:

My biggest beef with this whole thing is that Shaw has forced this option on us, the setting should still be there for us to use if we want but by default leave it off? I don't pay for internet so my ISP can disable WiFi bands so my devices cant use the internet I'm paying for!

If I wanted to have things forced on me by my ISP i'd go to Telus!

@Skyisthelimit 

Shaw’s decision to drop an archaic communication protocol is not surprising. With respect...move on and upgrade. You won’t be disappointed!

-- Should shaw support internet 600 on windows 95 machine...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dragonstone634 -- Should shaw support internet 600 on windows 95 machines?

Most Windows 95 computers did not have any Ethernet adapter.

At the time, if you added an after-market adapter, it probably supported only 10 Mbps, not 10/100 speeds.

So, even though Shaw will supply 600 Mbps into their router, the connection from the router to the computer will be limited to the speed of the Ethernet adapter.

Probably, a Windows 95 computer's single-core CPU is much too slow to smoothly display any "streaming-video" feed.

So, the computer's only use is an E-mail "appliance", not for web-browsing (with antique web-browsers that are not compatible with most web-sites).  EUDORA E-mail client, anyone?

0 Kudos

I spent hours trying to figure out that my modem upgrade...

Grantster
Grasshopper

I spent hours trying to figure out that my modem upgrade to Bluecurve also resulted in the elimination of support for 802.11b mode. This meant that the already miserable setup procedure for the Fitbit Aria scale is now impossible. I guess I can try and sell it to someone with a different modem. 

-- the already miserable setup procedure for the Fitbit A...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Grantster -- the already miserable setup procedure for the Fitbit Aria scale is now impossible.

For about $20, can you purchase a USB-to-WiFi-B adapter? Then, your Fitbit will be accessible from your computer, instead of via the BlueCurve.

> I guess I can try and sell it to someone with a different modem. 

I have heard that Shaw's supply of the (older) Hitron cable-modem has been exhausted, but I don't believe everything on the Internet.  🙂

So, trying to find somebody using "Internet 300" (or slower) with their Hitron may be difficult.

0 Kudos

I don't remember asking that question? anyways, I might h...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

I don't remember asking that question?

anyways, I might have been getting at some people still use older equipment, windows xp for retro gaming or grandma using it for online games. I am not saying shaw or anyone should support 1gig on these device. Even a 1yo laptop could act slow because it is full of viruses and malware.

0 Kudos

while most likely a small part of things dropping old sta...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

while most likely a small part of things dropping old standards might make it easier to work of FW and hardware. we are on wifi 6 now with 6e just around the corner? 802.11 B became a standard in 1999

0 Kudos

If you have an old router, like a linksys, you can connec...

llhunter
Grasshopper

If you have an old router, like a linksys, you can connect it to your shaw wifi box and then connect your aria to it. That's what I did anyhow.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help