Jump to solution

Shaw & Equipment Selection

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

Wi-Fi issues with the Htiron are ubiquitous and persistent despite Shaw's efforts.  Dropping Wi-Fi connections, dropping entire bands (5 GHz, in my case).and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's experiencing erroneous Host Names on devices (duplicates, mis-identified devices).

1. Does Shaw offer alternate solutions? Maybe Modem only boxes so customers can buy/use higher quality Wi-Fi Routers?
  2. Is Shaw looking at reviewing alternate products and manufacturers?
  3. What, if anything, is Shaw doing or planning to do about these issues? (Other than hiring more tech support staff 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Shaw & Equipment Selection

shaw-tamara

Hi johnnyfive55 

We're sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Hitron modem. If you prefer to use your own router, it is possible to have the modem put into bridge mode which would disable the router function. In order to do that you would need to get in touch with Customer Service. We do also offer the BlueCurve Gateway modem (formerly known as the XB6), but at this point we're not aware if any other hardware options will be available in the future. We will continue to support the Hitron modem in the foreseeable future, which would likely firmware upgrades to address known issues. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jump to solution

shaw-tamara

Hi johnnyfive55 

We're sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Hitron modem. If you prefer to use your own router, it is possible to have the modem put into bridge mode which would disable the router function. In order to do that you would need to get in touch with Customer Service. We do also offer the BlueCurve Gateway modem (formerly known as the XB6), but at this point we're not aware if any other hardware options will be available in the future. We will continue to support the Hitron modem in the foreseeable future, which would likely firmware upgrades to address known issues. 

Jump to solution

rickatk
Master

After a few weeks with the Blue Curve Gateway (modem/router combination) installed in my house, I can report very good and stable performance. I have dropped my aging AirPort Extreme in favour of a unified hardware solution. Setup is very easy and the Gateway performs as well if not better than my former bridged setup.

Ask for the Technicolour(Cisco) version, it seems to run better than the Arris version.

Jump to solution

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

Hi Tamara, so can I exchange the Hitron for the Blue Curve you mentioned?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

rickatk‌ Many thanks for your input, very helpful.

Just need to know how I can or even, if I can swap the Hitron for a Blue Curve?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

rickatk
Master

johnnyfive55 wrote:

rickatk Many thanks for your input, very helpful.

Just need to know how I can or even, if I can swap the Hitron for a Blue Curve?

Thanks again!

I simply asked for the Technicolour version to run on my 600Mbps account. The tech brought it with him to the troubleshooting appointment. You just need to call in and make the request or drop by a local Shaw store. 

The modem / router is working just fine.

Good luck!

Jump to solution

shaw-tony

johnnyfive55 yes, you can certainly swap the Hitron for the BlueCurve modem. Depending on which plan you are on a rental fee may apply. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help