Shaw Fibre+ 1.5 coverage

mdwkelly
Grasshopper

Hi,

Am just wondering if there is any information anywhere about coverage improvements for Fibre+ 1.5Gig?

Would like to upgrade but it is currently not available in my area of NE Calgary and wonder when/if it will be.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

--  is there any information anywhere about coverage impr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mdwkelly --  is there any information anywhere about coverage improvements for Fibre+ 1.5Gig?

1. this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw (marketing or technical). So, none of the volunteer contributors can speak on behalf of Shaw.
  2. employees of Shaw who participate in this forum are "sworn to secrecy". So, only if they have no fear of losing their job will they post any "corporate secrets" information here.
  3. is your home network big-enough, and busy-enough to need to simultaneously receive/distribute 1 Gbps service to multiple computers/devices?  
  4. What servers on the Internet can send a fully-saturated 1 (or 1.5) Gbps stream to your network? Not many, I think.
  5. would increasing the "incoming" (to your cable-modem) to 1.5 Gbps offer better performance within your network than having 1 Gbps incoming service?
  6. are you ready to pay over $200 for one network-adapter that can handle faster-than-1Gbps service? There is one socket on the XB7 that claims to offer 2.5 Gbps service. But, if the cable-modem is only receiving at 1.5 Gbps, you will only get 1.5 Gbps, not 2.5 Gbps, to your computer. (Actually, you will see 2.5 Gbps for the speed of each incoming packet, but the "distance" between consecutive packets will be much larger than if you had 1.0 Gbps. So, the "throughput" of a 2.5 Gbps connection will be only 1.5 Gbps.)

0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply and for the tip regarding obtaini...

mdwkelly
Grasshopper

Thank you for the reply and for the tip regarding obtaining info directly from Shaw via this forum.

Overall, my desire for Fibre+ 1.5Gig was not to try to obtain those kinds of speeds from a single server on the Internet but rather a larger overall pipe to pull down more information at a faster speed for more devices/connections.

Thanks again for your time and for the information.

Cheers

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help