Shaw Fibre+ 1.5 Gig

rstra
Grand Master

Just launched today, in response to the Telus offer, for $165 a month. 

Labels (1)
19 Replies

> Shaw Fibre-plus at 1.5 Gbit/second Probably good for pa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Shaw Fibre-plus at 1.5 Gbit/second

Probably good for parents with 4 teenagers at home, each consuming 250 Mbit/second, now leaving 500 Mbit/second for the parent.

I'm still not convinced that there exist a significant number of web-servers that can "push" out data at 250 Mbit/second.

0 Kudos

Drag-car racers know "speed costs money". From Shaw's "co...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Drag-car racers know "speed costs money". From Shaw's "compare plans" web-site:

Fibre+ Gig

$115/mo - First 24 months
$125/mo - Regular rate

Fibre+ Gig 1.5

$165/mo - First 24 months
$175/mo - Regular rate

Customers may need a network adapter inside their computer that is faster than the standard "10/100/1000" speeds. 

Example: TRENDnet 10 Gigabit PCIe SFP+ Network Adapter, for $195, plus taxes. I don't know if the LAN ports on the BlueCurve modem will support 10 Gbit/second.

Customers will also need a "CAT-6" Ethernet cable to achieve top speed, or a "Wireless AC" network adapter to achieve 1300 Mbit/second.

But, if you have multiple devices, each capable of 1000 Mbit/second, you could consume 1500 Mbit/second.

There has been quite an "evolution" from 56 Kbits/second with a US Robotics V.90 modem to today's speeds.  🙂

0 Kudos

I am finding it’s more about bandwidth rather than device...

rickatk
Master

I am finding it’s more about bandwidth rather than device specific speed. The best I have gotten over wifi is on my i7 iMac @850Mbps down and 26Mbps up consistently across my other slower devices. An XB7 modem / router may produce faster speed results in time.

My devices seem to be peppier, web pages refresh quickly and my 4 wireless TVs work very well. All on a 1Gig plan.

$165.00 is steep and more than I need. Never thought I would ever say that. 😊

0 Kudos

Something tells me that there will be new offerings of so...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Something tells me that there will be new offerings of some sort, from somewhere, carried on Shaw, that will eat up 1.5G.

As they say:  "Shaw giveth, and Shaw taketh away."

0 Kudos

What you think the new offerings will be?  Any guess and...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

What you think the new offerings will be?  Any guess and maybe more services will eat up 1.5 .  Lots of new devices like ps5 and xbox and google smarthome.  will eventually eat up this speed as speeds demands goes higher.  

0 Kudos

Would be interested in advice from those knowledgeable on...

Spatch
Grasshopper

Would be interested in advice from those knowledgeable on this topic.  Mine is a family of seven.  My three teenagers are frequently playing online games at the same time (one on Xbox, one on PC and one on PS4).  All three of these devices are hardwired to the router by way of cat6 Ethernet cable.  Then there’s my younger two children on their iPads, and my wife and I on our iphones.  Finally my tenants in our basement suite who use our wifi.  I’m currently on the Fibre+ Gig plan.  Would consideration of the Fibre+ 1.5 Gig plan be wise given my specific circumstances?  Thanks in advance!

Edit to add there’s also frequent streaming of movies, tv shows and music as well by all household members at any given time.

0 Kudos

Future high speed offerings from Shaw!

rickatk
Master

@cpmrich36 wrote:

What you think the new offerings will be?  Any guess and maybe more services will eat up 1.5 .  Lots of new devices like ps5 and xbox and google smarthome.  will eventually eat up this speed as speeds demands goes higher.  

Perhaps 16K TV, high speed holograms, real flames from the holiday fireplace and maybe even wifi charging. 

-- Would consideration of the Fibre+ 1.5 Gig plan be wise...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Spatch -- Would consideration of the Fibre+ 1.5 Gig plan be wise given my specific circumstances?  

For each of the "gamers", it would be interesting to open the Windows Task Manager on each Windows computer, switch to its "Performance" tab, and click on the icon for the Ethernet network adapter, while playing a game, to see what bandwidth the game is being consumed.

I have done the above while using ZOOM, and I see about 1 Mbit/second being consumed. Watching online video, such as YouTube, typically consumes less than 5 Mbit/second.  So, unless you are simultaneously streaming to 200 devices, you won't be consuming 1000 Mbit/second.

> All three of these devices are hardwired to the router by way of cat6 Ethernet cable.

Curious. Which cable-modem do you have that has more than the 2 Ethernet ports that a BlueCurve cable-modem offers?

Anyway, please note the comment by @rickatk from a week ago:

My devices seem to be peppier, web pages refresh quickly and my 4 wireless TVs work very well. All on a 1Gig plan.

Anyway, measure what all your devices are currently consuming, before paying more to Shaw to get 1500 Mbit/second.

> my tenants in our basement suite who use our wifi.  

Don't speak about your violation of your contract with Shaw, by extending "your" Internet service outside of your household. Note that any "abuse" by your tenants (spamming, maybe via a hacked computer, or distributing NSFW content) will be traced-back to your Shaw account, and could result in Shaw suspending or terminating your services, due to abuse by them (or their computers). The tenants should have their own Shaw account.

@rickatk -- how long will it be before a matter-transporter (see Star Trek) can use ultra-high-speed Shaw Internet to instantly deliver pizza & root beer into my home?    🙂   

Or, motion-sensors to rattle the chairs in my man-cave when viewing a body-check on a TV broadcast of a Canucks game? That would be "immersive" technology at work (play?).  🙂

If there are no complaints, I wouldn’t bother. You should...

rstra
Grand Master

@Spatch If there are no complaints, I wouldn’t bother. You should log in to My Shaw and check your data usage history, it is unlimited but would show how busy the network is. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help