Shaw fibre+ 500 wifi will not work in the evenings

TylerHen13
Grasshopper

All day my Fibre+ 500 wifi works great off my XB6 modem. Then around 5-6PM it goes to junk. Literally unusable. I can’t even play one game on PS4/PS5 it just boots me off line. My ping is 1000+ and when I test my download and upload it’s 1.50mbps and 2mbps wtf is that. I live in an apartment my assumption is that everyone comes home around 5-6 in other apartments and they all use Shaw wifi. Thus it gets congested in shaws end and ruins my wifi. I refuse to pay for the “fast” internet when I can only use it in the day time… wtf is this.

10 Replies

Shaw is a shared medium and as more people uses internet...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

Shaw is a shared medium and as more people uses internet in the apartment blocks,  they use the bandwidth and it affects your speeds very greatly, i bet telus will not have this problem.   if only your landlord allows telus in the apartment blocks.  

0 Kudos

My landlord never said who I have to go through. So I’m t...

TylerHen13
Grasshopper

My landlord never said who I have to go through. So I’m thinking of dropping Shaw unless they can fix this today.

0 Kudos

Did they fix i today or sti having problems?

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

@TylerHen13 Did they fix i today or sti having problems?

0 Kudos

Nope I have to wait till December 8th at 8-10am for someo...

TylerHen13
Grasshopper

Nope I have to wait till December 8th at 8-10am for someone to come and fix it and I explained they should coke when the problem is actually happening and they said they won’t do that. And I tried to get them here sooner but they wouldn’t let it happen. I hate Shaw.

0 Kudos

Hope you get a refund or creit for internet not working,...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

@TylerHen13  Hope you get a refund or creit for internet not working, hope it be free month of biling.  Too long to wait esp peole are still working from home nad other business.  Hope you ot aected too much.  are you in th flooding area.  Shawv are still out in BC.  

0 Kudos

-- Shaw is a shared medium and as more people uses intern...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cpmrich36 -- Shaw is a shared medium and as more people uses internet in the apartment blocks,  they use the bandwidth and it affects your speeds very greatly, i bet telus will not have this problem.   if only your landlord allows Telus in the apartment blocks.  

Telus also is a shared medium -- any fibre-optic cable in your unit does not run for several kilometers to the one  "Telus Central Office" somewhere in your town. There probably are multiple Central Offices in Greater Vancouver.

If your building has been upgraded, there will be one fibre-optic cable into the primary "wiring closet", in the basement, and then one fibre-optic cable per floor into a secondary "wiring closet" on your floor, and fibre-optic cables into your unit.

If your building has not been upgraded, you will have copper-wire from the secondary wiring-closet into your unit. This should give you a maximum of 75 Mbps for either download or upload.

When that Shaw technician arrives, they should check the coaxial-cable from the nearest telephone-phone into the primary Wiring Closet, and check the coaxial-cable from there to the Wiring Closet on your floor.

Are you measuring your speed via an Ethernet connection, or via a WiFi connection (which could be slower) ?

How many distinct WiFi networks are in the range of your unit (one on each side of your front-door), one across the hall, one on the level above you, and one on the level below you?  Obviously, such a multitude of networks can impact performance.

I doubt that the landlord is legally able to restrict all the tenants to one Internet Provider.

I have seen one co-op building where the Strata Council negotiated a lower-price "bulk" deal with Telus. Despite that, many of the WiFi networks in the building were obviously being broadcast via Shaw cable-modems. Sigh.

0 Kudos

I do not live in an apartment and have this issue every s...

Mich50
Grasshopper

I do not live in an apartment and have this issue every single night.  Around supper time our internet basically doesn’t exist any longer until the morning.  Tv freezes, we are all using about 20 gbs of data each month on our phones because we can’t connect to the internet.  Unfortunately we just signed a 2 year contract with them 2 months ago.  Absolute junk.  They’ve been here a few times to “fix” it.  I want out of this contract! Horrible service. 

0 Kudos

-- we are all using about 20 gbs of data each month on ou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mich50 -- we are all using about 20 gbs of data each month on our phones.

Are you a Shaw Mobile customer? For $25/month (the price when you have Shaw Fibre+ Gig 1.5), you get 25 Gbs of data.

Shaw recently changed their pricing.

Previously, if you had Shaw Fibre+ Gig [1.0], you would pay $25/month. The current price is $40/month with the "1.0" service.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support, at a time when your service is "slow", and get them to trouble-shoot.

0 Kudos

The trouble shooting sucks like the customer service. The...

TylerHen13
Grasshopper

The trouble shooting sucks like the customer service. The people on the phone don’t want anything to do with the call and all they do for trouble shooting is “reset your modem” or “unplug it then plug it back in” it does nothing. They suck. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help