Are people “bridging” and using wired connections? Peopl...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Are people “bridging” and using wired connections?

People? In my case yes, always have, always will. Using wired where possible, in my use case for all stationary devices...
So wireless Access Points mainly for iOS devices, a wireless printer on 2.4GHz, some IP-Cams....

0 Kudos

Swapped modem 3 times, Arris has stable gigabit bridge mo...

langley834721
Grasshopper
@LKYeLKYe 
Swapped modem 3 times, Arris has stable gigabit bridge mo...

Great Arris works stable for you in gigabit bridge....only Shaw will not send out Arris or Techniclor modems and the Technicolor seems to be the better modem...
On a side note, noticed the next gen. XB7 modems come with external power supply so should run cooler in general > less noise?

Shaw mentioned to me yesterday they saw a communication error on 16.7 Mhz, a technician will come and check from outside...
honestly, not sure if that is it, was told all signals were great before but yesterday they said with gigabit everythig has to be 100% 😉

Since the modem didn't lose connection for a good day now I am running gigabit in bridge mode with the Technicolor modem just fine....

0 Kudos

-- Are people “bridging” and using wired connections? 100...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Are people “bridging” and using wired connections?

100% yes. 

They are forced to do so, since "bridging" disables the built-in WiFi adapter, leaving the modem's only available connections as the "wired" ports (4 on the Hitron, 2 on the BlueCurve).

0 Kudos

Shaw changed the coax cable going from the street to our...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Shaw changed the coax cable going from the street to our box on the outisde of the garage, said there was too much tension on the connector...
Speed with Technicolor XB6 in bridge mode is still up, exactly as before...
So far so good!

Clipboard01.jpg

I am inquiring.. why use bridged mode and then add anothe...

rickatk
Master

I am inquiring.. why use bridged mode and then add another router to the mix for wired connection? Why not let the Blue Curve Gateway do wired and wireless connections as required. 

0 Kudos

You Are right. No need for an external router if all you...

langley834721
Grasshopper

You Are right. No need for an external router if all you need is wired. The XB6 has two LAN ports, port 1 is enabled by default. Also nothing wrong for most users with that modem. Good basic AC Wifi (Wifi 5)...

If you want full performance/control you will want to separate modem - router - access points....

0 Kudos

-- why use bridged mode and then add another router to th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- why use bridged mode and then add another router to the mix

I think that some people think that their router emits a stronger WiFi signal than the Shaw device.

I think that some people do a lot of configuration of your own router, and want the cable-modem to be strictly a "modulator-demodulator" device.

I think that some people switch ISPs every 2 years, to get "promotional pricing", and treat each ISP's modem as the gateway between their (customized) private network and the Internet.

The BlueCurve only has 2 "wired" ports. So, if it is in "router" mode, the customer wanting 3 (or more) "wired" connections must add their own "gigabit network switch".

Port #1 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> switch -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #1

Port #1 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> switch -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #2

Port #1 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> switch -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #3

Port #2 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #4

0 Kudos

thanks for clarifying.

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk -- why use bridged mode and then add another router to the mix

I think that some people think that their router emits a stronger WiFi signal than the Shaw device.

I think that some people do a lot of configuration of your own router, and want the cable-modem to be strictly a "modulator-demodulator" device.

I think that some people switch ISPs every 2 years, to get "promotional pricing", and treat each ISP's modem as the gateway between their (customized) private network and the Internet.

The BlueCurve only has 2 "wired" ports. So, if it is in "router" mode, the customer wanting 3 (or more) "wired" connections must add their own "gigabit network switch".

Port #1 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> switch -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #1

Port #1 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> switch -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #2

Port #1 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> switch -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #3

Port #2 on BlueCurve -> CAT-6 cable -> computer #4

@mdk thanks for clarifying. 

0 Kudos

Zero issues with Gigabit and Technicolor XB-6 modem for a...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Zero issues with Gigabit and Technicolor XB-6 modem for a week now.
Shaw stable, router not reporting any "ISP-DHCP trouble" messages anymore...

Are you still bridged?

tropikalstorm
Grasshopper

Are you still bridged?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help