Shaw installing fiber to the house anytime soon?

Cliff22
Grasshopper

Hello,

Just wanted to know if I should be expecting Shaw to be installing fiber to the house any time soon? Paying $100/month for 300/20 is pretty terrible. 20mbps upload speed in 2020 is honestly pathetic.

I mean, Shaw is literally being sued for calling their service Fiber+ when it's still not fiber. So, how about you stop lying to your customers, and just invest the money to install actual infrastructure that should have been installed 10 years ago.

I live in a new development, my street didn't exist 4 years ago, and my house just 3. Yet, still copper to my house? How pathetic.

Labels (1)
23 Replies

Shaw did roll out fiber to some homes, but my bet is they...

rstra
Grand Master

Shaw did roll out fiber to some homes, but my bet is they will concentrate on docsis 3.1. Many companies use the word fiber very loosely, technically Shaw is fiber to the node, so usually within a few blocks of you. 

Yes, and fiber to the node means you don't get a parallel...

Cliff22
Grasshopper

Yes, and fiber to the node means you don't get a parallel connection, and your upload speeds are limited to those we saw a decade ago.

0 Kudos

Shaw backbone is fibre. The “last mile” as it is known fo...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Shaw did roll out fiber to some homes, but my bet is they will concentrate on docsis 3.1. Many companies use the word fiber very loosely, technically Shaw is fiber to the node, so usually within a few blocks of you. 

Shaw backbone is fibre. The “last mile” as it is known for Shaw and other provides is generally an adaptation technology like Docsis 3.1 which is theoretically capable of 10Gigbits speeds. I have seen applications where Telus, who boldly push their Pure Fibre platform, often relies on in house copper to finish their connections, just like Shaw. 

Docsis 3.1 is the standard cable OS rely on and will likely do so for some time to come.

“Yes, and fiber to the node means you don't get a paralle...

rstra
Grand Master

Yes, and fiber to the node means you don't get a parallel connection, and your upload speeds are limited to those we saw a decade ago“

Not with docsis 3.1, they will get upload speeds of 1 Gb.

-- still copper to my house? How pathetic. Probably, the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Cliff22 -- still copper to my house? How pathetic.

Probably, the "last mile" into your house is copper, and it connects to Telus' fiber. That should give you 75 down & 75 up.

> fiber to the node means you don't get a parallel connection

Huh? I do not understand what you mean by "parallel connection".

With the speed of fiber, or the speed of coax, you do not need to "bond" multiple channels together in parallel, unlike what WiFi does to increase "Wireless N" from its standard speed of 150 Mbps to double or quadruple the effective speed.

By the way, the coaxial-cable into my Shaw PVR is carrying many "parallel" audio/video channels -- over 200.

0 Kudos

By parallel I mean the same upload and download speed. So...

Cliff22
Grasshopper

By parallel I mean the same upload and download speed. So 300/300 or 1000/1000

0 Kudos

Coax actually does use channel bonding to achieve higher...

Nerds2You
Grasshopper

Coax actually does use channel bonding to achieve higher speeds. On older Shaw modems that have multiple LEDs to show status you can tell if channels are bonded or not.

When the modem is booting the upload and download LED will initially be green showing a single channel connection, a short while later they turn blue indicates channel bonding has occurred.

0 Kudos

This is referred to as symmetrical speeds. Currently Shaw...

rickatk
Master

@Cliff22 wrote:

By parallel I mean the same upload and download speed. So 300/300 or 1000/1000

This is referred to as symmetrical speeds.

Currently Shaw Docis 3.1 offers 100 Mbps down.  Docis 4 promises symmetrical speeds up to 10Gbps.

0 Kudos

> 2020-09-15 11:28 AM --  Just wanted to know if I should...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> 2020-09-15 11:28 AM --  Just wanted to know if I should be expecting Shaw to be installing fiber to the house any time soon?

Soon? I remember reading that Shaw has done FTTH (Fiber To The Home) in some parts of Calgary, but that's not where I live. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help