is the new XB7 modem going to give me more coverage than...

JyL
Grasshopper

is the new XB7 modem going to give me more coverage than the blue curve?  from just 2 weeks, I don't think it's any better in term of range, 

0 Kudos

All technician should do the same set of trouble shooting...

JyL
Grasshopper

All technician should do the same set of trouble shooting protocol?

I am not sure why,  the tech that just came to my house, not listening to what I said, the previous tech did,  said found the signal bad on his device, so insisted on going to my panel, only did a very bad job, took out the panel and switched the cable positions on the splitter and said would work, completed screwed in my panel cover in the wrong place.  

when he checked the signal again, still same problem, then he took out the cover of the outlet and terminated the cable again, well, same problem.  And at the end, he checked the box at the back of the house, and found the cable at the back alley connection to the pole, also, had the same issue.

Wouldn't that be the fist thing they checked, instead of spending an hour doing all those?

And I was like, so after all this time, it could be the Shaw cable on the pole that's the issue, but none of the other 12 techs ever bothered to check?

I just hope that's the case, and my problem could finally be fixed, but I am just so disappointed at how Shaw has been handling everything, if it turns out that's really the case, wasted a year of my time and endless hours waiting for tech after tech.  

0 Kudos

And I was like, so after all this time, it could be the S...

rstra
Grand Master

@JyL And I was like, so after all this time, it could be the Shaw cable on the pole that's the issue, but none of the other 12 techs ever bothered to check?

Yup. The connector at the pole and the drop is most likely the first to go because of exposure to the weather. Your technician did everything right, except the thing with the smart panel cover. If I came across an issue that was intermittent, I would change all connectors and splitters from the device back to the pole. 

0 Kudos

What I don't get is, when I did a ping test on a wired co...

JyL
Grasshopper

What I don't get is, when I did a ping test on a wired computer and wifi computer, the wired computers shows max speed without drops, but the wifi one always have issues, so I actually don't get why the connector at the pole would be the issue, if there is issue, wouldn't the wired connection have the same issue?

The tech seems to be suggesting that the wired connection, is coming through a different channel from the wifi.  He said, there are 3 different services, coming from the coax cable, the phone, the TV and the internet, and the test for both the phone and TV passes, but the internet keeps on failing.

It just seems so strange to me, why only the internet is failing, maybe that's why all the other techs didn't even think about the connector at the pole could be the issue?

0 Kudos

Is there any lawyer out there that's watching this?  I am...

JyL
Grasshopper

Is there any lawyer out there that's watching this?  I am really getting fed up with Shaw now.  Everything is going in circle.  It actually happened couple times now in my year long battle with them on this issue.  After the escalation made 3 weeks ago, I have been calling once a week to see when they are going to send someone, but yesterday, was told the there is no active case in my file, and asked me to explain everything again and would try to help me.  I asked for a manager, and was rudely hung up because I didn't want to explain everything again.

Today, I called again, and gave all the details, even the tech's phone number that came to my house, and this time, the agent said found the escalation, but it was closed.  I asked what was done, when was done, but no information was able to provided, I demanded that information from a manager, then was told, the ticket was closed  9 hours ago, I called at 11AM, so I asked, so a tech worked at 2:00AM and completed the job,  I was told if problem still there, he could schedule another tech for me, which I just got so angry.  It's the 15 techs, and 4th escalations.

I really wanted to change, but billing said, I won't get a dime in compensation until the tech fixes my problem.  Not to mentioned the couple hundreds of hours I spent, and over $1,000 in extenders, ranges, routers, which billing said, well, those were recommendations, I didn't have to do it, so Shaw is not going to do anything, and until the problem is fixed, they are not going to do anything about my bills.

I asked for email correspondences, so I have paper trails, couple times, but all refused to send me emails.

It's like I am just stuck with this problem, maybe until I gave up my claims

0 Kudos

I want to know if anyone has any experience dealing with...

JyL
Grasshopper

I want to know if anyone has any experience dealing with Shaw legally, without a lawyer.

For all the trouble I had been through, the first thing I suggested to all Shaw customer, if your problem is not fixed after the site visit, contact CCTS right away, so Shaw will fix your problem promptly,  I waited for over 1 year, and the problem was fixed the week after I filed a complaint.

The worse thing is, CCTS said, Shaw's response to my complaint, according to the terms, Shaw does not have you provide reliable service, in other word, SOL, if you are having trouble,   which I found unacceptable because CCTS, completely ignored the facts that took Shaw over a year to fix a problem that could had been fixed in a day, but deemed the problem was fixed, and that's the end.

I filed a legal claim against Shaw on CTR, but they came back to me, said I should filed my claim with CCTS which should be able to help, but I told them CCTS said they couldn't do anything legally, they are just a NPO, trying to help resolve complaints, but CTR denied my claim based on their ruling that there are other cases, in Ontario, that CCTS helped penalized telecommunication company over wrong doing.  

I went back to CCTS, and they said, no, compensation must be made in court, so now, and they said, my original complaint was failure in service, so that's all they looked at, so now, I don't even know if I should file another complaint, asking for compensation or go straight to small claim court or supreme court.

0 Kudos

--  What I don't get is, when I did a ping test on a wire...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JyL --  What I don't get is, when I did a ping test on a wired computer and wifi computer, the wired computers shows max speed without drops, but the WiFi one always has issues,

Both your "wired" computer and your "WiFi" device connect to the same cable-modem, namely the one inside your residence.  So, what you have is a "local" WiFi problem:

1. bad WiFi adapter inside the cable-modem,
  2. bad WiFi adapter inside your WiFi-enabled device,
  3. bad "signal strength" reaching your device.

If it is #1, get Shaw to change the cable-modem.

If it is #2, try a different device (a friend's or a family member's notebook computer).

If it is #3, do you live in a detached house, or half a duplex, or in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building) ? Your device could be getting "interference" from all the other cable-modems in the MURB.

When you "view available networks" on your device, do you see a "few" or "many" ?

Is your device connecting to a BlueCurve cable-modem, where the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz bands appear as one SSID? Have you disabled "band steering", and assigned unique SSIDs to each frequency? Is your device capable of connecting to the 5 Ghz network? Any better connection if you do connect to the 5 Ghz network?

How many "walls" between your cable-modem and your device? Those walls can reduce the signal-strength of the connection.  Do you get a better connection when your device is in the same room as your cable-modem?

> The tech seems to be suggesting that the wired connection, is coming through a different channel from the wifi.  He said, there are 3 different services, coming from the coax cable, the phone, the TV and the internet, and the test for both the phone and TV passes, but the internet keeps on failing.

That person is correct. A coaxial-cable carries multiple channels, to separately communicate with the PVR, the Shaw Phone adapter, and the cable-modem.  To repeat, when you have a wired connection, you say that your Internet is not failing.

> It just seems so strange to me, why only the internet is failing, maybe that's why all the other techs didn't even think about the connector at the pole could be the issue?

Since your wired connection is fine, and your TV & Phone are fine, there is nothing wrong at that "pole".

0 Kudos

It's insane how everything played out.   I signed up for...

JyL
Grasshopper

It's insane how everything played out.

I signed up for the service in April 2020, had problem right away, for over a year, tried everything possible with Shaw, never fix, until I called CCTS, Shaw sent another tech, did same set of fix, all in front of my own eye, didn't fix,  then he pulled his phone, did some setting change, and said I am good to go,

I tested my network, on spot where I had issue, required pod, extender, apple wifi now, all giving me minimal wifi speed, around 10 to 30 MB, or less I now have 300MB download, without any of them, same blue curve modem.

How can Shaw still say it's interference, it's local, it's the position, it's the wire.  The more frustrating things when I asked about all the equipment I bought, they said, those were recommendations, so I can sell them now, but it's their techs that told me would fix the problem, or needed to have consistent service

They led me to tell CCTS to confirm the problem was fixed, which of course it did, but nothing was mentioned how they failed to set up my service right in the beginning, or costs I suffered

0 Kudos

hope it all goes well, file small claims will get you sat...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

hope it all goes well, file small claims will get you satisfaction and money losses for services not excellent.  hope you can get your compensation 

0 Kudos

-- I now have 300MB download, without any of them, same B...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JyL -- I now have 300MB download, without any of them, same BlueCurve modem.

Is that the speed that Shaw promised in your contract?

Is that "wired" (Ethernet cable) or WiFi ?

Some "Class N" WiFi adapters are capable of 150 Mbits/second, over a single band, and some adapters "bond" two bands together, to give you 300 Mbits/second for downloading.

The newer "Class AC" WiFi adapters are capable of downloading at up to 800 Mbits/second, if you subscribe to Shaw's "Fibre+ 750" or "Fibre+ 1000". If you subscribe to "Fibre+ 300" or are "grandfathered" onto the older "Shaw Internet 500" plan, then that is what you will get over "AC".

So, launch the Windows "Device Manager", and view the "Network Adapters", and expand the branch, to see exactly which WiFi adapter is installed.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help