Shaw Open - Limited Speed

arjay
Grasshopper

Hi Folks!

I was under the impression that Shaw Open speeds were tied to subscribed Internet account speeds. I'm connecting to a Shaw Open AP and the best I can get out of it is 10 down / 5 up. It's a pretty isolated AP and I can't see there being much traffic on it. 

The Shaw account that the MAC address is registered on is Shaw 75. It was my understanding that, theoretically, it would see 75 under perfect conditions. Clearly 10/5 is pretty low. In fact, if I stand directly under it with my phone the best I can see is 35 down and it decreases rapidly from there. 

The AP I am connecting to is 28:C7:CE:23:C3:CF - As mentioned, it's a very isolated AP and should only be busy in the peak of the summer (tourist area) so I can't see traffic being an issue.

Can anyone confirm my understanding that the speed is supposed to be related to my Shaw account Internet subscription package, and, if possible, can you take a look at that AP to see what's going on with it? It would be nice to see proper speeds coming off of it. 

Best & Thanks!

Arjay

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies

Re: Shaw Open - Limited Speed

shaw-tamara

Hi  

Shaw Go WiFi speeds are dependent on the Internet package that you subscribe to. If you have Internet 30 or above, you should see a maximum of 30Mbps down and 5 Mbps up under "perfect" conditions. You can find more info on that here: Is shaw open speed tied to your home internet speed? 

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Hi Tamara - thanks for the reply.

So I'm on Shaw Internet 75 and unless I am standing directly under the AP I cannot get 30 MB. Can you look into that AP and see why it is not delivering anything close to the speed it should be delivering? As mentioned, there is literally no-one around it.The MAC address of the AP is 28:C7:CE:23:C3:CF

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Sorry, I don't see any modems in our system associated with that MAC address. I'd recommend checking in with customer support so you can give them the exact address and they can submit an escalation for you. You can find our contact info on Shaw — Contact us 

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

That's not a modem - that MAC address was for the Shaw Open access point. Point being, perhaps you can have someone there that is knowledgeable have a look at that specific access point to see if there is something wrong with it.....

Once again, this is your (Shaw's) access point. The MAC address is 28:C7:CE:23:C3:CF

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey arjay,

We can certainly reach out to our WiFi team to see if there are any issues with the AP. Can you give us the location or address for the AP?

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Sure, it's located on the corner of Resort Drive and Rathtrevor road in Parksville

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

arjay thank you for the information. I did notice you advised that you receive 30 Mbps speeds while directly under the AP? If you are, then the hotspot is working as expected. We do not guarantee speeds as the hotspot is subject to possible WiFi area interference. However, I did submit your details to our WiFi team to investigate the AP. 

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Thank you. I think there is something up with it. Literally, I need to be directly under it with my phone held out in order to see 30 MB. If I am 100 feet away the speed falls off dramatically. It's very odd. I suspect there is something up with the AP. 

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

arjay 100 feet is an extreme distance from the access point. You likely at that point only will have 1 or no bars of WiFi signal. I have more details on that here. Based on what you are saying it is working as expected. Let me know if you have any other questions.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help